Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stealthy Frankenfiesta

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #61
[MENTION=283]meFiSTo[/MENTION] for the Mishimoto oil catch what connector did you use for the PCV connection? Looks nice and clean (almost stock). Tear apart the existing PCV hose? Nice build BTW. [twothumb]
Yes. I exchanged some IM with [MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] to get his learnings and this is what he said:

"...Then you cut the hose off the quick release ends. Using an exacto blade, run two cuts along the length of the hose remaining on the nipples of the quick release fittings. Then pull the hose off. Push the hose supplied by Mishimoto onto the fitting. Then push the Ideal vacuum hose, then apply hose clamps and tighten. I like the clear hose, as it lets me know the OCC is working properly. FYI, you may need to rotate the quick release ends slightly from where they originally attached to get them to click on properly, especially the one that connects to the intake. Otherwise that one will pop off."

In my case, I had enough Ideal 5/8-in wire-reinforced hose (purchased 4-feet) to completely replace all the swapped out PCV plumbing, so the part in the note about the Mishimoto hose related to the Ideal hose.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yes. I exchanged some IM with [MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] to get his learnings and this is what he said:

"...Then you cut the hose off the quick release ends. Using an exacto blade, run two cuts along the length of the hose remaining on the nipples of the quick release fittings. Then pull the hose off. Push the hose supplied by Mishimoto onto the fitting. Then push the Ideal vacuum hose, then apply hose clamps and tighten. I like the clear hose, as it lets me know the OCC is working properly. FYI, you may need to rotate the quick release ends slightly from where they originally attached to get them to click on properly, especially the one that connects to the intake. Otherwise that one will pop off."

In my case, I had enough Ideal 5/8-in wire-reinforced hose (purchased 4-feet) to completely replace all the swapped out PCV plumbing, so the part in the note about the Mishimoto hose related to the Ideal hose.
Thanks. I have 2 extra PCV hoses. Tearing them apart may be a cleaner install. One last question. Wouldn't a right able connection make for less stress on the top hose?

Just need to get the catch can now. Not too happy with the shipping to Canada cost right now. Kinda stupid crazy.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #63
Thanks. I have 2 extra PCV hoses. Tearing them apart may be a cleaner install. One last question. Wouldn't a right able connection make for less stress on the top hose?

Just need to get the catch can now. Not too happy with the shipping to Canada cost right now. Kinda stupid crazy.
A horizontal hot side port would probably be a little less stressful on the plumbing but this one did not have that option. There are some others that do. [MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] wrote up his DIY Moroso setup. That one has two side entry ports. I just liked the baffled Mishimoto one for its internal design promoting oil accumulation. There are a number of Moroso options. The one referenced by JPGC can be found for about $133 or so (at vendors like JEGS). It actually looks a bit easier to disassemble for drainage and is less expensive. The Mishimoto OCC is available from RallySport Direct for a lot less than the MSRP. I'm not overly concerned about slowing this airflow a little bit with the filter, but it is a maintenance question. It'll all just come off for draining and cleaning with an oil change.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
[MENTION=283]meFiSTo[/MENTION]

Where did you purchase "Ideal 5/8-in wire-reinforced hose" ....can you provide a link...

thanks!

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #65
[MENTION=283]meFiSTo[/MENTION]

Where did you purchase "Ideal 5/8-in wire-reinforced hose" ....can you provide a link...

thanks!
Here's a direct link: http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=1409

[MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] told me to search on "Ideal vacuum" to find the hose, which I did. That combination is the best path to the site via search.

I had a strange thing happen to me when I tried to order this stuff, so be very careful using the website. It's not one of your more modern commerce sites. Upshot: Try to be sure you have the right stuff picked out all along the way.

So using search and navigating the seller's site, I found the correct index/listing page for all the related hoses. It kind of was jumpy when I scrolled it and I inadvertently clicked the one inch hose (but did not immediately notice). As I was trying to fill out the various fields I got to the very end (just before submitting) and read the listing to find I was trying to order 1-inch hose. I attempted to change my order at that point and the system barfed. It would not let me go back and reset my selections, sending me to an error page with lots of odd, cryptic bits of code listings. Eventually I just killed the connection and created a new one. I appeared to successfully order my stuff and logged out. No confirmation email came (which I found odd). It was a Sunday, so I figured to hear from these guys the next day via email. Well, instead, Monday morning came and an actual person called to discuss my order which had been flagged as odd by the fulfillment system. Apparently, my order had been assigned a completely different sales number from the one that I was given at the end of my online process and in fact was for 400 feet of the hose (not cheap) and some chemicals as well. The customer support woman calling was further perplexed because my order had also been assigned to a totally different credit card (belonging to one of the company's regular customers). So, if the fulfillment folks had just completed the order, I would have gotten a huge shipment and it would have been charged to someone else. She had contacted their IT folks before calling me and they indicated this was some kind of 1 in a million freak incident. I was very glad she followed up. We took care of it over the phone and I got free shipping for my 4-foot length of wire reinforced PVC vacuum hose. Hah.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #68

Hey CanadianGuy, I found a catch can that I might have purchased instead of the one I got (had I been paying attention). It's a "compact" Mishimoto baffled oil catch can. Here's the Mishimoto description.

Notice that both ports are on the same plane. That would probably fit better in the spot by the strut tower.

There's also a cool drain kit available for the baffled OCCs. I'm going to get that for my big OCC here eventually. Different versions for the big OCC and the compact OCC. Here's a description of the compact OCC drain assembly.

Update: I was comparing how my shop set up my plumbing and how westcoaST had set up his plumbing and noticed they were reversed. I thought: "Oh @#$%." I know his is working, so I was about to ping the shop to discuss the swap, but first went poking around the Mishimoto site. There is just not a whole lotta specifics for this setup. I guess they think it's obvious. I finally found a video that illustrated the flow in a kind of engineering animation.

Here's the video:

[video=youtube;-g2crfnfuKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2crfnfuKo[/video]

Go to the ~59 second mark.

It's NOT obvious in their documentation (at least I found it difficult to find), but if you think about the logic, it totally makes sense. Having the filter on the output port and pointed up helps promote the misted oil collect in the can before driving the blow by gasses back to the intake and generally keeps the filter cleaner with only vapor being pushed through after misted oil has clumped and collected in the can a bit.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Hey CanadianGuy, I found a catch can that I might have purchased instead of the one I got (had I been paying attention). It's a "compact" Mishimoto baffled oil catch can. Here's the Mishimoto description.

Notice that both ports are on the same plane. That would probably fit better in the spot by the strut tower.

There's also a cool drain kit available for the baffled OCCs. I'm going to get that for my big OCC here eventually. Different versions for the big OCC and the compact OCC. Here's a description of compact OCC drain assembly.

Update: I was comparing how my shop set up my plumbing and how westcoaST had set up his plumbing and noticed they were reversed. I thought: "Oh @#$%." I know his is working, so I was about to ping the shop to discuss the swap, but first went poking around the Mishimoto site. There is just not a whole lotta specifics for this setup. I guess they think it's obvious. I finally found a video that illustrated the flow in a kind of engineering animation.

Here's the video:

[video]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cdZcqhinOi0/VUm4hz2CCiI/AAAAAAAAFsE/bo6sbfKcTWU/w562-h749-no/IMG_2112.JPG[/video]

Go to the ~59 second mark.

It's NOT obvious in their documentation (at least I found it difficult to find), but if you think about the logic, it totally makes sense. Having the filter on the output port and pointed up helps promote the misted oil collect in the can before driving the blow by gasses back to the intake and generally keeps the filter cleaner with only vapor being pushed through after misted oil has clumped and collected in the can a bit.

Thanks. I can find the compact one in Canada for $125 Canadian. Seems like a good solution.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #71
Sorry for the delay responding and slow updating. Been hella busy at work and traveling a little. Went to Cisco Live! in San Diego this week for the first time since 1999 or so. It was called Networkers back then. 25,000 attendees this year. Crazy. Like a giant technology convention and party for customers.

Anyway, the bits going on the car now are mostly safety related with some minor personality adjustments as well.

This stuff got added a couple of weeks ago:

Car is in the shop getting this stuff done now:

• Rear tow hook (local shop is working up a bracket and receiver to use the same hook provided by Jim Pierce with the front hook)
  • Mishimoto oil catch can drain kit
  • Fire extinguisher mounted to passenger seat fixed rail/bar
  • Auto-Blip

Should get it back next week. I want to dial in that "auto blip" tool (timing and duration adjustable) on the local backroads before I get it out to the track (hopefully July 3).

There are SO many things that could be done to refine/perfect a car. I'm trying to contain costs with changes that map to what really will be happening. It's a car that I want to comfortably drive around town, but that I can take to the track for some (comparatively safe) fun from time to time. Everything is a compromise.

I'll snap some photos of this stuff once it comes home.

Thinking of doing something to preempt the shifter cable from popping off up at the stick. We put some zip ties at the other end. Noodling on options for the top attachment point. Zip ties solution is likely, but we need to see if that is going to work.

Also, contemplating getting a Simpson R3 head and neck restraint. It's the only one certified for conventional 3-point belts.

Kinda think that will be it for this season.

That auto blip thing sounds really cool! ive been wanting them to add support for it in the accessport like they have for other cars.. let us know how hard it is to install and set up..

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #73
That auto blip thing sounds really cool! ive been wanting them to add support for it in the accessport like they have for other cars.. let us know how hard it is to install and set up..
Brandon at Cantrell Motorsports is doing the install. The main thing is splicing it into the wiring at the right place. The owner at Auto Blip is very familiar with Ford wiring. He used a new Ford Mustang to demo the product at *his* track in SoCal (Chuckwalla) for some local (Seattle) guys Porsche guys that had had trucked down in the Cantrell semi for a track day (a multi-stop track visit swing through the south that ended COTA...drivers all flew in from Seattle to connect with their cars when they go to the venues...plus coordinated local shop visits for nut and bolt, pads, etc. $$$$).

Here's a note he sent when I asked about the thing:

Auto Blip said:
The AUTO-BLIP will work with the Ford Fiesta. The pedal electronics are pretty much the same as those found on other Ford vehicles such as the Mustang. Most AUTO-BLIPs have been sold to Mustang owners and they love it.
If you are comfortable working with a simple digital voltage meter, we can walk you through the installation. As an alternative we can work with your shop to get it installed and working as it should or simply return the unit and we will refund you for the cost of the unit.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Andres Alvira

Owner/Operator
Tel: 480-788-6748
Tractive Technology, LLC
www.auto-blip.com
Andres would be happy to help you do the install if you're into doing it yourself. There is a little tuning assembly that is mounted somewhere on the dash with a couple of knobs to vary timing and duration. My friend Pete had the auto blip installed on his BRZ and is a fan. As an aside, Pete also tracks a Porsche turbo Carrera and a re-engined Elise; he also owns the Palatov D2 built this year to make a run at Pikes Peak in the street-legal class this year. He's a very experienced driver.

I think the thing that is attractive about the auto blip for me is that it should make it easier to manage speed at the limit in complex turn sequences. When driving a car at its handling limit, you might be simultaneously doing (sometimes multiple) downshifts, trail braking, and making micro-steering adjustments. It should help take some of the footwork out of the mental equation. Heel-and-toe shifting is not something that has ever been automatic for me. I just don't do it enough and my right foot gets really tired.

It would be nice if it was integrated into the Cobb AP interface for the Fiesta, although it wouldn't do me much good since I'm running the MP 215 software and figure to stick with that indefinitely. The car is what it is at this point from a total HP/TQ perspective. I'll run a little extra octane and have made some adjustments to increase/cool airflow, but that is it for me. So, this is my option for blip automation.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #74
A small, but unfortunate, update. Auto-Blip does not appear to work with the Fiesta ST. My shop has been working all day troubleshooting the setup and Auto Blip gave up.

They @#$%ing gave up.

So: Don't get the auto blipper from those guys until they confirm that it does work and provide specific details regarding connection. Sigh. What a PITA. The owner said he'd refund the hardware, but I'm out of pocket the cost of the install attempt (and then removal and rewire). Fuxor. Kinda pissed, but this @#$% happens when trying new things.

Update to update 7/1/15: I'm holding off sending the stuff back pending Andres doing some additional testing with the accelerator pedal assembly. Apparently that is where the hangup occurred. Keeping my fingers crossed as I'd really like to get this to work with my car.

Update to update 8/18/15: It does not work. Andres says he is going to have a solution sometime around the new year. I am not holding my breath. I think I will get some OMP pedals to make manual blip more doable. Got my refund back promptly upon retuning unit. We'll see what happens, but I'm NOT going to be a guinea pig -- again.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #75
Tomorrow, car goes to Muffler King in Kirkland for a small mountune exhaust adjustment, then an OTS mountune tune upload when it comes home.

That's the Pierce 4-point brace in a box behind the cat. Waiting on a couple cooling items from Mishimoto to ship/go into production and then that brace and the Mishimoto stuff will get installed all in one visit to my Ford mechanic. Some OMP pedals also sitting in a box, waiting for install. No rush since I won't be getting out for a track day until next year.

It seems like it never ends, but I think it's getting pretty close at this point.

I will snap a couple pics of the tow hooks and fire bottle setup this weekend. Car energy level is feeling a little low right now waiting on that Mishimoto stuff. The Auto-blip debacle took the steam out a little bit. I HATE spending money on @#$% for no @#$%ing reason. Hoping that maybe Andres will figure that @#$% out at some point.

Hah. Well maybe not quite so quick on the cat. Muffler King indicates it's more tear down to get the thing in than he's comfortable doing. No worries, I have an alternative plan. Not a big deal. I got all winter.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #76
These were installed while I was away for a couple of weeks:
  • Mountune high-flow cat and MR230 tune
  • Pierce Motorsports 4-point brace
  • no-pistons evaporator skid shield and throttle pedal lifter
  • OMP OA/1000 pedals

What's left (realistically):
  • Mishimoto oil cooler kit (with thermostat plate) -- this is on the way!!!!
  • Mishimoto radiator (and possible shroud/fan) package -- this is still under development so TBD

I'm hoping that these various last few bits will put the finishing touches on my little car (keeping it on the track for lapping days while civil around town).

I'll try to add snapshots of the bits when I can get around to it. Otherwise, photos from track events are the most likely things to pop up here and there going forward. You'll have to wait till next spring/summer for those though.

Update: I just ordered a Boosted Designs dead pedal. Hopefully it will stay put and not bend when stomped on under duress.

Good stuff. Look forward to your reviews on the Mishimoto items. After all your parts are installed, maybe you should get into more technical posts about your track days [like].

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #78
Good stuff. Look forward to your reviews on the Mishimoto items. After all your parts are installed, maybe you should get into more technical posts about your track days [like].
Hah. Well, not entirely sure how technical I can really get. I don't have a oil temp/pressure gauge like I did on my last car, but I can share what the Cobb tuner THINKS my coolant temp looks like. Not sure how accurate that is. Does this car actually sample the live coolant temps, or does it guess like the SVT Focus? Everything else will be seat of the pants and readings from my Cantrell Motorsports lapping monitor/video capture iPod/iPhone tool. There are things like boost pressure that the Cobb device will monitor, but with a static OTS tune, what I gots is what I gots.

However, I did learn that all the organizers that matter to me locally will accept the Schroth 4-point Quick Fit belts, so that's a positive. I like how they integrate into the airbag system to limit the velocity of those things in an impact. Plus, the anti-sub feature is pretty much a requirement for a 4-point appraoch. RAMMaudio also says they accommodate a little bit of shoulder slump (good for rollovers without a cage). AND: They allow regular 3-point restraints to be used with little fuss. Not cheap, but handy to hold you down in a track setting.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Absolutely loving your car and the setup.

Quick question. Can you comment on the difference in MP215 vs. MR230? I am currently MP215 owner and am considering going the MR230 route. Curious as to how big of difference I will notice.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #80
Absolutely loving your car and the setup.

Quick question. Can you comment on the difference in MP215 vs. MR230? I am currently MP215 owner and am considering going the MR230 route. Curious as to how big of difference I will notice.
Based on what mountune suggests, this tune will add a TON of torque -- especially in the mid-range. The HP also appears to come on earlier and hold up longer (nearly to redline). That's going to be noticeable at the track in 3rd and 4th gear. Third is the primary corner exit gear (where the torque will come in to play) and 4th is where the car gets to stretch out a little on a longer straight (HP will come in to play there). I was short shifting a little bit in the MP215 tune to sustain TQ, we'll see if I need to do that now.

Around town, I don't really notice much difference. It's very civil. It does go like the devil when asked to accelerate in third. I'm sure I've shocked a few folks that were thinking, "don't do it...don't do it" as I made a right turn merge in front of them onto a nearby arterial that has some runway to allow me to air it out a bit. Realistically, I can really only air out 2nd gear in this setting. By the time I'm into third at all, I'm easily over 60 (speed limit is 45 on that stretch...it is wide open with no cars *normally* turning, entering, or exiting in front of me as I accelerate, but is a bit of a speed trap as well).

This is not a car I drive much, so it's going to be difficult to really assess any difference until I'm out on a closed-circuit road course. That won't happen until late spring soonest.

Having said that, it is quite sporty with the MR230 setup and I am very happy with the adjustment. It is a little louder in the 3300 RPM range under moderate throttle with the high-flow cat, but I have not really noticed any drone with the mountune cat/Borla combination. Second gear WOT exhaust sounds are very nice; I have not had a chance to air it out in third yet, but I suspect that will be very pleasant as well.

Aside: Considering a couple of cosmetic bits, too. :blushes: [shhh]