Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stealthy Frankenfiesta

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #101
im only seeing one
:?
Dayum. Switched to smugmug account. Do they show up now? Makes me wonder about the other images I've been posting.

I can see them all, so it's a PITA to troubleshoot. Stupid google images tool.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #106
Love this car. Do you mind if I ask where you got the spoiler from?
I ordered my spoiler from Air Design USA LLC through a sales woman named Monica. This is the same firm that [MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] used to get his spoiler. This is a "direct" purchase. This company makes these (built in Mexico).

The particulars when I purchased it:

Roof Spoiler Fiesta HB 2014: $184
Body color paint: $50 (you are NOT going to get it cheaper than that, if you want basically body color; match was good); includes clearcoat. Monica can provide details about specifics.
Tax: $29.83
Shipping to Seattle area: $80

Prices can vary. YMMV.

Here's the info for Monica and Air Design:

monica@airdesignusa.com

Monica Fernandez
AIR DESIGN USA, LLC
3820 Oceanic Drive, Ste. 301
Oceanside, CA 92056
Ph 1-844-280-2775
Ph (760) 435-0095
Fax (760) 435-0092

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #108
First Visit to The Ridge 6/16-6/17

Instead of cluttering up the Fiesta ST Tracking, Autocrossing & Dragstrip subforum with my anecdotes, I decided to post my opinions here. I'll point back to this thread from there for those wanting to read.

After selling my previous FWD car in spring 2012, I went on a hiatus from HPDEs for 3 years. I visited Portland last year once (which went well) and did the STOA at Miller in May 2015. So, to a certain degree, I?m still shaking out the cobwebs when it comes to lapping days. I?ve added some notes specific to the track for anyone around my neighborhood that might visit at some point. I did take video of one session on Friday, but I did not get any slow-down free passes (I got a few later, but was not taking video). I'll be more diligent next time about capturing video. I used the Cantrell Motorsports Lap Timer to capture video and data. It worked well, but these tools suck up a ton of storage.

Here's an overall view of the course from The Ridge website:

Date(s): 6/16 and 6/17
Groups: SCCA Track Night in America and Turn2 Lapping
Conditions: Cool, overcast to partial sunny on Thursday, overcast with midday showers on Friday
High temps: Mid 60s

Summary of the Two Days

Since the last time it was at the track, the car had the following changes:
  • Pierce 4-point brace
  • Mountune MR230 tune and related intake/exhaust changes
  • TTR solid mounts
  • Mishimoto oil cooler and radiator
  • Porsche 993 brake cooling fins

There?s not really much new to report about this car?s performance since last year?s track visit. The only noticeable change was the amount of vibration coming into the cabin due to the motor mounts and the reduced torque steer under rapid throttle acceleration at WOT. Really none now. This car is easy to control (but it was before, given the car?s underlying design and that the BC Racing coilovers were installed back then already). The car did seem very neutral, maybe a little less tending to oversteer. That might be a slight change from the prior setup. Before the brace went in, the car seemed a little more twitchy at turn in. It?s something I?ll watch. Car also prefers less air pressure in general. But that has nothing to do with any changes really AFAIK. 37 lbs all around hot seems good. Much more (say 40+ hot) and the tires seem to get slippery fast.

Details of Car Setup/Driving Observations

• Engine temps ? Since I did not hook up the mountune AP to the ODBII port, I did not get a reading on specific engine coolant temps. I?ll do that next time. I also do not have an oil temp gauge. Anecdotally, the car had no problems running pretty much all out (as far as accelerating out of corners, etc.) for complete sessions (on cool days). The stock "gauge" in the dash indicated the car warmed up quickly to 4 bars and basically never wavered from there. I?ll see how things go at warmer track days to come (and keep an eye on things with the AP monitoring feature).
  • Power ? According to mountune, the MR230 tune and related hardware changes should result in significantly added torque throughout the RPM midrange and a higher peak torque value. There?s a little added HP to be gained as well over the MP215 tune, but the MR230 tune is mostly about the added torque. It?s hard for me to say, but the car does pull well considering the stock turbo is tiny. The driver of another momentum car (a Miata) did comment that he could stay with me and gain in some of the turns (due mostly to my inexperience at this venue), but he could only watch me run away on the straight bits. What I will probably do next time is hold 3rd gear through two turns that I was dropping to 2nd and hold 4th gear where I was dropping to 3rd for a a couple of turns. That should help me sustain some mid-turn speed, but the question will be acceleration on corner exit. In any event, I have no intention of adding more power as this setup suits me fine ? so any improvement will be a matter of adjusting my approach.
  • Suspension ? The only substantive hardware change here was the addition of the Pierce brace. My seat-of-the-pants observations suggested that the car was a little more stable mid-turn and might be able to take more late/trail braking without misbehaving. I also softened up the rear BC shocks slightly vs. the front (held at 10 clicks from full stiff in back, dropped to 8 clicks from full stiff in front). Sadly, according to my race shop, I cannot seem to get any additional negative camber without either adding shims to the control arms or implementing camber plates. It?s sitting at about 1 degree of negative camber front and back. I do not really want to alter the suspension any more than I have done with the coilovers on this car, so I?ll live with the situation. Having said all that, the car does handle very nicely. It remains very responsive and is very flat with little roll. I can just tell adding negative camber would improve grip (and allow a little more mid-turn speed). I did find a useful list of general corrections associated with understeer, oversteer, and twitchiness. There are a few suggestions, including tire pressure adjustments, that I?ll try over time.
  • Tires and tire pressures ? Speaking of tires, I ran on both the RE-11As and the NT01s. With previous tire sizes used on my SVT Focus (usually 215/40-17, 205/40-17, 215/40-16, and 215/45-17), a hot target of about 38 front and back seemed to work well. When I took tire temps back in the day on some RA-1s, that was about what got the closest to even temps across the tread (for my driving style on the tracks I was visiting). I no longer have the probe-type pyrometer that I used back then (stupidly sold it figuring I was done with HPDEs). In any event, based on trial and error last month, 37 lbs. hot seemed to work nicely. For this counter-clockwise track, the cold temps that got me there were about 31/30 (LF/RF) and 32/31 (LR/RR). I usually bleed down to get the targets once in the paddock, but it really varies based on ambient weather, road surface type and temps, etc. As for the difference between tires, I always prefer r-compounds, but the RE-11As ran very well (once I got the pressures right). Neither tire liked being over-inflated, but that pretty much can be said for any tire. Once the pressures were set, both tires held up fine in the 20-minute sessions. No complaints here.
  • Brakes ? No changes to the brakes since last spring. Torque RT700 fluid and Carbotech XP8 pads worked well. I did add the Porsche cooling fins. No fade noticed whatsoever, but I did not push my brakes much. If I start braking later and activating the ABS system more consistently, we?ll see how it all holds up. So far, no issues. After 14 sessions (missed one on Friday due to rain) over 2 full-day and one half-day events, there is about 7-to-8 mm left on my pads (min). That should get me through the one and a half days planned for late July. Fresh pads ordered.

Comments Specific to the Ridge

The Ridge is now my favorite local venue. Miller Motorsports was amazing, but it?s very much not local. Around here, I?ve got 30+ days at Pacific Raceways and 20+ at Portland. I never really enjoyed Pacific Raceways. I?ve seen too many serious incidents there and the surface always just felt rundown. I?m done there unless some radical work is performed. Portland is fun and well maintained. I?ll be back, but it is a fast track, intended more for higher HP cars. It?s flat and just not that interesting. It is easy and relaxing to drive, but The Ridge is much more entertaining. Shelton is a couple hours from my house so the drive is not bad at all. The main reason I went to Pacific Raceways was its proximity to my house (about an hour).

On my first day, an SCCA Track Night, I managed to collar one of two ?instructors? for a ride-along. We also did a ?track walk? the next day with a Turn 2 instructor. Both were VERY informative.

Here?s a track map I?ll use for reference with regard to comments that follow.

SCCA instructor comments:
  • T2 is late. Staying to the outside until the last instant allows you carry a ton of speed through the 2-3-4-5 sequence. You should have enough speed so that the car carries you to the turn in, rather than "driving/steering" to it. Underlying message was later, with more speed.
  • He suggested getting to 3rd gear before exiting T15 to sustain a WOT run through T16 to T1.
  • Once you turn toward apex for 8b, go all out WOT to braking for T11.
  • The instructor was favorably impressed by the suspension setup and braking power of the car. I was pretty conservative with my braking (rarely hitting ABS), but he suggested braking later, especially entering T1. I suspect I can cut a several seconds right there under braking and sustaining more speed through T2-3.

Turn 2 track walk instructor comments:
  • There is a hill between T2 and T4 that crests just after T3. While it?s less of an issue for a FWD car, in general, the instructor suggested steady throttle over the crest until the car "lands" and gets settled. The car does become unweighted going over the crest and RWD cars can spin when they land (with one wheel landing first).
  • T6 is generally a throwaway turn. Get through as best as you can. 60 mph is a reasonable mid-turn starting point, then build from there. He provided some specifics about finding a seam and following that, basically mid-track, until the apex comes into view, then WOT down the hill.
  • The hill down to T7 is pretty steep, considering the speed cars can achieve. The road is flatter to the left, with a noticeable dip from the right to the middle of the road down to T7. Very low cars can bottom out (bounce), which leads to some cars taking a somewhat offline angle to the left. A straight line takes you right over the steepest drop and most noticeable dip.
  • The track walk instructor made a point of suggesting that T11, T12, and T13 all worked better with slightly early turn-in. All three are comparatively low-speed turns. I found that missing T12 in particular by turning in late really caused a lot of lost speed heading into the short straight before the very slow T13-T15 sequence.
  • The T15 to T16 transition can be treacherous in the wet. The instructor says cars can loose grip, spin and bounce off that wall.

My main takeaways:
  • I can definitely brake later going into T1 and hold more speed heading into T2.
  • T2-T3-T4-T5 can take a lot more speed by getting the (late) turn-in right for the T2 apex.
  • There is a ton of exit track at the T5 exit/runout. Use it to sustain speed.
  • T6 is pretty much a junk turn that you that will take work to get right, but won't be a place where a lot of time is gained or lost.
  • WOT from turn in for 8b to braking for T11.
  • Early turn in and slight slide through T11; early turn-in T12 and T13.
  • I?m going to try staying in 3rd gear through T13-T14-T15 and getting on the throttle WOT as soon as I turn in for T16, and then straighten that out.

Last edited:
[MENTION=283]meFiSTo[/MENTION] any videos? I was at ridge last weekend when my calipers failed. Even with very early braking the car could corner pretty hard.
Last year I ran -2 camber and found that even though it turned in quick there would be quite a bit of understeer, with -2.9 camber it's very comfortable and can take a lot more steering input.
Also I'm pretty sure my bigger FMIC interferes with cooling as I did see the red light come on in one session. I removed the insulation for the hood in the pit and that helped a bit, next track day I will try removing some of the plastics on the cowl.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #111
[MENTION=283]meFiSTo[/MENTION] any videos? I was at ridge last weekend when my calipers failed. Even with very early braking the car could corner pretty hard.
Last year I ran -2 camber and found that even though it turned in quick there would be quite a bit of understeer, with -2.9 camber it's very comfortable and can take a lot more steering input.
Also I'm pretty sure my bigger FMIC interferes with cooling as I did see the red light come on in one session. I removed the insulation for the hood in the pit and that helped a bit, next track day I will try removing some of the plastics on the cowl.
Hi [MENTION=997]justinsane[/MENTION]

I took video for one session with the Cantrell Motorsports data logger on my Ipod Friday a.m.. It was my first Friday session and I got locked up behind cars or had to let cars by, so there were no fast laps at all. In the first lap, an old Scirocco spun in T11 right in front of me, stalling perpendicular to the track. I had to practically stop. That kind of screwed up the rest my laps. I did not take video the rest of the day. Dumb. I'll post that first lap.

Let's chat about how you got the added negative camber. Cantrell is telling me that can't get any more without some other adjustments. I have the H&R camber bolts and the BC Racing coilovers.

I've added a lot of stuff to help cooling and will run with the insulation out and the little BS cover out as well to maybe help flow. Howver, I've not had any issues so far with cooling, especially this last time with the Mishimoto stuff installed.

I'm going to try to get to The Ridge a couple more times this summer. Maybe we can coordintate. PM me.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #112
[MENTION=997]justinsane[/MENTION]:

Here's a short video from the startup of the first Friday session. VW Scirocco loses it in T11.

[video=youtube;7vdcOL887xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdcOL887xc[/video]

[MENTION=997]justinsane[/MENTION]:

Here's a short video from the startup of the first Friday session. VW Scirocco loses it in T11.

[video=youtube;7vdcOL887xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdcOL887xc[/video]
The ridge looks soo much better than Pacific. I am going to have to get out there.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #114
The ridge looks soo much better than Pacific. I am going to have to get out there.
I like it a lot more. Let me know and maybe we can coordinate. I'm looking at the SCCA 1/2 days in August back to back; Thursday at The Ridge, then Firiday at Portland. Can't beat the price.

Update: Doing Portland for a 1/2 day with SCCA next Friday (7/29) then The Ridge with Cantrell Motorsports (managed by The Ridge Racing School) on Saturday.

Update: Oops. Only Saturday. Friday is going to be too hot to drive down and drive. Bleh. Signed up now for the Audi event at The Ridge 8/20.

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #115
Car is for all intents and purposes done. Some comparatively minor stuff might happen (temp/pressure gauges, outside chance of a NavTV backup setup), but with the arrival of my 15x8 TD 1.2 wheels and Hankook RS-3 tires, I think this thing is basically finished. Now, mostly use up the consumables at the track and come home safe.

I think I'll just update here with pics from events, etc.

Thanks for looking friends.

May you all survive the bite of the mod bug. It's very contagious.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
May you all survive the bite of the mod bug. It's very contagious.

Yes, I am HOPING that I will be satisfied, and can STOP (as far as ENGINE mods go) with a 300 to the wheels, GTX2867 setup, or the like.

I really do not want to push any more than that through the front wheels, even with a Quaife, or Wavetrac in the transaxle. [nono]

Weight reduction might just be another, much harder to resist, but no less co$tly modding path. :(

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #117
Yes, I am HOPING that I will be satisfied, and can STOP (as far as ENGINE mods go) with a 300 to the wheels, GTX2867 setup, or the like.

I really do not want to push any more than that through the front wheels, even with a Quaife, or Wavetrac in the transaxle. [nono]

Weight reduction might just be another, much harder to resist, but no less co$tly modding path. :(
300 to the wheels? I know there are other folks chasing that and higher, but that's a lot for this little thing. Enjoy!

I'm happy with the stock setup, some tuning, and some help with getting air in/exhaust out. While mountune makes claims about HP/TQ, unless I take it to a dyno, I'm not really sure what the car makes. I might get it done just to benchmark the thing, but really I'm not sure the absolute number is going to matter for me. It'll be about how it holds up under duress. Pretty sure it's more capable as-is than I have the skill to drive it. More HP/TQ, more suspension, more brakes, lighter total weight would all make it faster and make it easier for me to reduce net times around my local road courses, but that's not really the point for me. I want to have some safe fun, hold my own, make efficient passes to get around slower traffic (assuming a slower car or less-experienced driver will pop up from time to time), but most of all stay on the track (both in terms of car reliability and driver behavior), then finally get home in one piece. If I can do that for a few years: WIN!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
300 to the wheels? I know there are other folks chasing that and higher, but that's a lot for this little thing. Enjoy!

I'm happy with the stock setup, some tuning, and some help with getting air in/exhaust out. While mountune makes claims about HP/TQ, unless I take it to a dyno, I'm not really sure what the car makes. I might get it done just to benchmark the thing, but really I'm not sure the absolute number is going to matter for me. It'll be about how it holds up under duress. Pretty sure it's more capable as-is than I have the skill to drive it. More HP/TQ, more suspension, more brakes, lighter total weight would all make it faster and make it easier for me to reduce net times around my local road courses, but that's not really the point for me. I want to have some safe fun, hold my own, make efficient passes to get around slower traffic (assuming a slower car or less-experienced driver will pop up from time to time), but most of all stay on the track (both in terms of car reliability and driver behavior), then finally get home in one piece. If I can do that for a few years: WIN!
Basically, that's the same exact thing I want out of it as well. [thumb] :)

It's just that the prevailing attitude on here lately seems to be that even 300 to the wheels is NOTHING in these cars, and is barely enough to make them any quicker, or more fun (yet) to drive over stock form.

Never having been in this small car/displacement/boosted FWD arena before, I don't know WHAT to believe. [dunno]

OP
meFiSTo

meFiSTo

Thread Starter #119
Basically, that's the same exact thing I want out of it as well. [thumb] :)

It's just that the prevailing attitude on here lately seems to be that even 300 to the wheels is NOTHING in these cars, and is barely enough to make them any quicker, or more fun (yet) to drive over stock form.

Never having been in this small car/displacement/boosted FWD arena before, I don't know WHAT to believe. [dunno]
Really totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what will work for your personal experience objectives. This is plenty for me. I won't pass many cars, certainly not STis, Evos, M3s (when properly driven), 911 Carreras, etc. Some drivers do pass those cars, but I suspect that given comparable drivers, stockish STs will not overtake them. Doesn't matter to me and is not really my concern at the track. In my mind, if you want to go fast (seriously fast), folks should pick a different platform. Yes, the GRC cars are supercar fast, but you can't compare them. The Fiesta STs have been VERY competitive of late in the 2WD rally classes, but even those are heavily kitted to handle offroad challenges.

Off to The Ridge tomorrow. I'll try to capture some better video with the Cantrell Motorsports kids. FAST cars, capable drivers. I should get some open track. Have a great evening. Heading down now to overnight.

300 at the wheels in this car must be an insane lesson in throttle control in the dry and totally useless in the wet. I'm at a full mountune stage 3 and although I could maybe use more in the dry, it's still useless in the wet. On the track it destroys almost everything with the mountune springs, Wilwood BBK, and some front and rear bracing. Oh yeah ADVAN A048R tires really help too. Don't need a ton of power to have fun in this car. It more about how well it handles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk