Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oil cooler, adapter, hoses, DIY and why

Ah I see you are keeping the stock oil cooler.

I'm fully deleting that, Mishimoto was kind enough to sell me their sandwich plate adapter bolt and coolant reroute hose. I'll be doing the full install on Saturday and documenting.
Hoping all my cooling mods are enough as I'll be at buttonwillow on May 14th.
I'm keen to delete the OEM cooler also. How much was the Mishimoto bolt and reroute hose, and how did you go about ordering them?

I was able to find 3/4 nipples in varying lengths. It seems like the one from summit that has been posted would be too short. Does anyone know the thickness of the sandwich plate? Do we know for sure if the one from summit works? I'd hate to take this apart and not have the right parts.

codestp202

I'm keen to delete the OEM cooler also. How much was the Mishimoto bolt and reroute hose, and how did you go about ordering them?
You can call their customer support and order it from them. 22 for bolt, 12 for reroute hose.

However, I ended up using my own parts. I can sell you my mishimoto bolt for cheaper if you're interested.

codestp202

I found out that the Mocal plate is 1 5/16" thick, so that nipple that was linked is definitely not long enough.
Hey, so I ordered 3 parts in total,

This nipple:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XOR69M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The center bolt from mishimoto

And this nipple:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401295047560?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Best scenario is to use the third nipple as its 2 inches long. It didn't come in the mail in time so I ended up using the first nipple. It did indeed work and I just wrapped up the project. I just wish it was a tad bit longer, but it def got the job done. The reason the shorter nipple still worked is if you look at the pic you can see about 1/4 of the way on one side it ends the threads. So I screwed the smaller portion of threads into the mocal unit, then used the longer side to screw into the motor. It threaded in for quite a while before I torqued it down, so I don't forsee any issues.

If you are shopping for the nipples I have a brand new mishimoto center bolt I paid 22 bucks for, and that 2 inch mocal nipple will be here in a couple days that I don't need anymore. Could sell you either one for cheaper then they are new.

jayrod1980

install was no big deal. possible to do by anyone. they kit i used had everything i needed to get it done.

Awesome job! Can you list the parts you used for this? I've got the DHM and I've wanted something like this setup for awhile. The only thing I would change or adapt is to add some type of elbow fittings for the oil cooler hoses so they route inside the bumper cover. Theres plenty of space to route these hoses so that they don't stick out into the open bottom area and maintain the black fins that you removed on the lower intercooler area (if my crappy description makes any sense).

jayrod1980

Edit: Nevermind... looking at my own car it looks like I could keep the lower grill and route the hoses more to my liking. You say this kit comes with everything? I assume you purchased separate metal zip ties. Do you have any concern that the plate will shift and bang on your intercooler fins? Also, I have a front plate mounted on my car... would this cooler even function with the license plate blocking some of the air flow? I assume I'd have to move it over to have more open air flow.

DvC

Edit: Nevermind... looking at my own car it looks like I could keep the lower grill and route the hoses more to my liking. You say this kit comes with everything? I assume you purchased separate metal zip ties. Do you have any concern that the plate will shift and bang on your intercooler fins? Also, I have a front plate mounted on my car... would this cooler even function with the license plate blocking some of the air flow? I assume I'd have to move it over to have more open air flow.
the kit came with a ton of hose to allow you to route however youd like. my mechanic friend had metal zip ties but you could pick them up from amazon or i would assume a local auto parts store. i thought about the oil cooler hitting the intercooler but i havent heard anything and the fins still look fine. if the radiator still functions with the front plate i have to assume the oil cooler would as well. i would push it as far out of the way of the plate as possible to allow most cooling. if you havent you should shave your front grill to allow more airflow. its a pain in the ass, but worth it.

EDIT: also i just installed a mountune radiator and there is still enough room for the sandwich plate. shouldnt be an issue doing oil changes

jayrod1980

Thanks for all the helpful info... I've wanted to do this for a long time! I mentioned blocked airflow because I also have already done the grill opening. It was a huge pain but looks great. It just happens that the stupid front license plate just about blocks the area the cooler would be otherwise have unimpeded air flow. I'm just concerned whether shifting it would be enough. It looks like you only have about 2-3 inches or so to move left or right because of the span that opens up on the crash bar. I also notice the kit is full of other little knick knacks that you didn't use... is that just because it's a universal kit? How much extra oil are you putting in now?

jayrod1980

Few more questions... does this use the temp sensor that comes with the kit or do you let the stock exchanger do the work? Trying to understand how the thermostatic part works.

jayrod1980

You can call their customer support and order it from them. 22 for bolt, 12 for reroute hose.

However, I ended up using my own parts. I can sell you my mishimoto bolt for cheaper if you're interested.
Where is your write up? What did you mount the cooler to? Wasn't the Mishimoto thermostatic plate expensive on its own?

jayrod1980

I wish there was a more elegant way to mount the cooler than hanging off the crash bar with the big DHM one. The Derale instructions have you mount via little rods through the fins. Other than the possibility of mashing some fins, I don't like the idea of sticking the cooler up against the intercooler or compressor because of heat transfer. I'm trying to imagine in my minds eye a more stable means to hook the oil cooler to the crash bar without drilling a hole into it. I have no welding experience either.