Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thinking about an AP

I just picked up a 2015 FiST and I'm loving it. But I'm already itching to modify a bit. I've been looking at the Cobb AccessPort for the FiST and had some questions.

1.) Does flashing the ECU with Cobb's maps void the warranty?
2.) If I have problems and have to take the car in for service, do I have the ability to flash back to the stock map so Ford techs won't notice?
3.) Does the AP work on the 2015 FiST and if so can any 2015 owners chime in?
4.) I am currently stock with no performance mods. I'd like to add a bit more TQ/HP, unlock the boost restrictions in 1st/2nd gear, and have a little bit of fun. Is it worth it to get the AP and what map should I run considering I haven't modded yet? I was thinking the Stage1 91 Octane map.

Anyhow, I've used the Cobb back when I had a Mazdaspeed3 and I know it's a great product, just wanting some feedback from the FiST community.

Cheers!

1) Yes, but only if they inspect your car while its installed.

2) Yes, it all goes back to normal and its like it never happened.

3) Yes. i have a 2015, love my AP. best mod i ever bought.

4)Yes its worth it. Buy a green filter for your airbox(same thing as cobb/mountune) and load the stage 1 map. a rear motormount is recommended before any mod in my opinion. Especially if you're gonna be hard on the car with launches and whatnot.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
You could try looking at the MP215 from Mountune if you are concerned about the warranty. Little more pricey, only one map, but Ford Warranty friendly.
http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

As of this writing the sale price is $899 for the kit.

www.Mountuneusa.com has several other parts that do not void factory warranty. Another option is parts from Ford Racing. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/search.asp?q=fiesta

Anything with a blue check box is warranty friendly. Note the search is for all Fiesta's so make sure to verify the part is for the ST.

Both can be ordered directly of through the Ford Dealer. They do state the install should be done by the dealer but I suggest speaking with your dealer and see if they are willing to waive that if you do the work yourself if they inspect it or if they are even worried. Some, mainly due to the patronage the customer has had, will be okay.

Good luck.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
You could try looking at the MP215 from Mountune if you are concerned about the warranty. Little more pricey, only one map, but Ford Warranty friendly.
http://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Fiesta-ST-MP215-Performance-Upgrade-p/2364-215-aa.htm

As of this writing the sale price is $899 for the kit.

www.Mountuneusa.com has several other parts that do not void factory warranty. Another option is parts from Ford Racing. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/search.asp?q=fiesta

Anything with a blue check box is warranty friendly. Note the search is for all Fiesta's so make sure to verify the part is for the ST.

Both can be ordered directly of through the Ford Dealer. They do state the install should be done by the dealer but I suggest speaking with your dealer and see if they are willing to waive that if you do the work yourself if they inspect it or if they are even worried. Some, mainly due to the patronage the customer has had, will be okay.

Good luck.

I'm actually in good with the service manager at our local Ford. I emailed him tonight about the Mountune and seeing if I can install it myself and save some money by buying from mountune direct. I'm hoping to have an answer soon. I'd like to put a bit more oomph in the car.

I'm still a Cobb fan from my Mazda days so it's kind of a tossup for me. I think the Cobb has better capabilities but I also don't want to kill my warranty.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6

4)Yes its worth it. Buy a green filter for your airbox(same thing as cobb/mountune) and load the stage 1 map. a rear motormount is recommended before any mod in my opinion. Especially if you're gonna be hard on the car with launches and whatnot.
Can you point me in the right direction of the green filter? So you're saying I should keep the stock airbox and just drop in a green filter along with a AP stage 1 map?

Can you point me in the right direction of the green filter? So you're saying I should keep the stock airbox and just drop in a green filter along with a AP stage 1 map?
You can buy one from Cobb/mountune but they are just slightly upriced but same thing as the ones mentioned above, just branded.

You can rock the stock air box as long as you want, some people just slightly modify them(cut a hole in the box) but a high flow filter is recommended/required to run the stage 1 map. You can upgrade to a better intake when the time is right for you but the stock airbox isnt really that bad by itself. If you plan to upgrade do your reading and see what would be best for you. (if you are into performance, and dont care about loud induction noise, check out 2j racings intake. Thats what i got ordered.)

Where in socal did you get your straight pipes done?

Get in touch with Jurrian at ModBargains, via the forums here. Ask for a great price on Cobb Stage 1. You'll get the RMM, Filter and AP for not much more than the AP alone usually sells.

Get in touch with Jurrian at ModBargains, via the forums here. Ask for a great price on Cobb Stage 1. You'll get the RMM, Filter and AP for not much more than the AP alone usually sells.
As someone who is leasing i think AP is the only thing I can do for now never have enough time to talk to the dealership

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I just picked up a 2015 FiST and I'm loving it. But I'm already itching to modify a bit. I've been looking at the Cobb AccessPort for the FiST and had some questions.

1.) Does flashing the ECU with Cobb's maps void the warranty?
2.) If I have problems and have to take the car in for service, do I have the ability to flash back to the stock map so Ford techs won't notice?
3.) Does the AP work on the 2015 FiST and if so can any 2015 owners chime in?
4.) I am currently stock with no performance mods. I'd like to add a bit more TQ/HP, unlock the boost restrictions in 1st/2nd gear, and have a little bit of fun. Is it worth it to get the AP and what map should I run considering I haven't modded yet? I was thinking the Stage1 91 Octane map.

Anyhow, I've used the Cobb back when I had a Mazdaspeed3 and I know it's a great product, just wanting some feedback from the FiST community.

Cheers!
1) not technically
2) uninstall your accessport before service. it takes 5 minutes, i do it in the parking lot immediately before drop off and then reinstall the tune when I pick it back up.
3) 2015 is now supported
4) you disable torque truncation, a feature active in gears 1-3 when you're stock, robbing you of around 30lb/ft of torque, which the AP gives back to you. the AP also increases the redline. You can only run Stage I 91 or 93, you cannot run Stage II or higher without a larger intercooler. PLEASE don't run Stage II or higher without upgrading your FMIC it is not a good idea and dangerous and you really won't make more power, plus you also get flat foot shifting funtionality and on-the-fly map switching and launch control with the latest firmware updates

the accessport will make your distance to empty wonky for a few days each time you uninstall completely and reinstall as your average values are reset to factory, and your radio stations get fucked up. these get asked all the time by new AP owners who are all freaked out by it - it's normal, and if you see some crazy boost spike figure for a fraction of a second it's a false data spike and nothing to worry about

the accessport will allow you to just change maps as you mod the car more.

this should answer your questions and the AP is available at the lowest price here. if you don't want to grab it from me I highly recommend buying from Randy at Mountune, as I have his custom tune as well and it's significantly punchier than the Off the Shelf stage I map, and you get the $150 value custom tuning free when you buy your NORMAL Cobb AccessPORT V3 at Mountune (they also offer a Mountune specific variant of the AP which is different - you want the NORMAL cobb one)

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
As someone who is leasing i think AP is the only thing I can do for now never have enough time to talk to the dealership
the dealership will not hassle you over a high flow air filter (that's a wear and tear item) - and the dealer's never questioned my RMM. If you're super concerned about Warranty-friendliness Mountune's RMM is the same price and offers more damping, but isn't as direct as the cobb unit. For someone that prefers more damping, go Mountune, for more direct feel without ruining friendliness as a dailydriver go Cobb, cp-e or Boomba if you want something hard and aggressive.

but like I said the Mountune part is 100% ford warranty approved and considered the same as stock in the eyes of your warranty.

The RMM won't affect warranty at all. The AccessPORT you can just stick in your pocket, just don't leave your tune installed when you take it in for service every 7 months...

OP
D
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for your help again! I'm calling Jurrian today and ordering the Stage 1 setup. I'm probably going to wait until 1k miles to flash so I can get some break-in and an oil change out of the way. But I'm definitely going to put the RMM on right away. The wheel hop and engine rock on this car is ridiculous. I feel like I'm in a bumper car.

OP
D
Thread Starter #17
Stage 1 setup ordered (RMM/AP/Filter) and the accelerator pedal spacer. Now it's time to eat cup of soup for a week or two. Then it's on to Vogtland Springs and a Short Shifter.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
ford should just sell their ecoboost stuff with the AP as standard equipment.

engine will outlast the warranty so AP away.

cars are made to break 2 days after warranty is up[xx(]

OP
D
Thread Starter #19
4) you disable torque truncation, a feature active in gears 1-3 when you're stock, robbing you of around 30lb/ft of torque, which the AP gives back to you. the AP also increases the redline. You can only run Stage I 91 or 93, you cannot run Stage II or higher without a larger intercooler. PLEASE don't run Stage II or higher without upgrading your FMIC it is not a good idea and dangerous and you really won't make more power, plus you also get flat foot shifting funtionality and on-the-fly map switching and launch control with the latest firmware updates

the accessport will make your distance to empty wonky for a few days each time you uninstall completely and reinstall as your average values are reset to factory, and your radio stations get fucked up. these get asked all the time by new AP owners who are all freaked out by it - it's normal, and if you see some crazy boost spike figure for a fraction of a second it's a false data spike and nothing to worry about

the accessport will allow you to just change maps as you mod the car more.
Thanks for all your answers, it's been very helpful. Is disabling the torque truncation something that comes standard in the stage1 maps or is that something I need to access on the AP itself to turn off? Sorry for all the newb questions, just don't want to muck anything up.

I'm definitely not going to run any maps that are beyond my cars capabilities. I gave up doing stupid stuff like that when I was in my early 20's. I'm much wiser these days :).

Thanks for the heads up on the "glitches" with the radio stations, boot spike, and DTE. I'm sure I would have asked here otherwise.

I'm good to go, just waiting for it to come in and for me to hit 1K mi before I do anything. Reminds me, I need an oil change at 1k too.