Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Modified MBRP Exhaust to make it REALLY a 3" exhaust

iso100

1000 Post Club
Some of you may recall my PSA post about the MBRP exhaust not having a 3" flange on the downpipe end. I believe they did this to make mounting up to the factory downpipe easier. The factory downpipe outlet measures 1.9" in diameter.

Here's the MBRP flange measuring 2.25" ID:

That was great until 500 or so miles ago when I upgraded to the CP-E Catted 3" downpipe. Now that tiny flange caused mounting issues as well as a potential loss in power. The good news is that from the muffler all the way out the back it's full 3" mandrel-bent goodness.

I emailed MBRP customer service asking if they had any plans to release a replacement muffler that had a 3" flange but they responded that they had no interest in doing so.

I went to Custom Performance Engineering in Beltsville, MD to have them cut off the small tube and flange and weld on a proper 3" one. Here's the finished product:

Pretty welds:

Nice large flange:

On the car bolted up to the CP-E downpipe:

There's definitely a noticeable increase in power with that restriction removed. Highly recommended for those of you who love the sound of their MBRP exhaust but don't want to be held back by the tiny flange.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I was thinking of doing this to both my 2JR DP and MBRP. But, I'm afraid I'd ruin the magic of the minimal drone I've got. I understand that prices vary, but how much did it cost you?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Any sound or butt-dyno increase?
Both. It's not really louder but definitely angrier at WOT and has more burble and pop. I love driving with the windows down and listening to the sweet music.

As for power, the Pseudo-Eco mode (6psi) now feels totally driveable and at low speeds you can't tell the boost is low. It really made a noticeable difference.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I was thinking of doing this to both my 2JR DP and MBRP. But, I'm afraid I'd ruin the magic of the minimal drone I've got. I understand that prices vary, but how much did it cost you?
It shouldn't have an affect on drone. My car sounds pretty much the same as before with the windows up. (see post above)

As for the price, I believe it was about $150. Could have gone elsewhere for cheaper but the welds are beautiful and I trust the workmanship on this one. Granted, I've now paid just as much as a Cobb or other competing exhaust after these mods but I'm still happy with it. I'd estimate total outlay is at $650 for 409 stainless including the mods.

awesome! since the dp is my next upgrade now this gives some choices, thx for the post and info.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I may of missed more recent posts on exhausts and DP's but from what I saw in the past none of them were full 3" from the turbo to the exhaust tip, part of why I built my own but I would done so anyway.

Sucks you had to spend that much but they did a nice job for you.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Funny this got posted. I'm doing an electric cutout for mine. I love my FRPP catback to much lol.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Some of you may recall my PSA post about the MBRP exhaust not having a 3" flange on the downpipe end. I believe they did this to make mounting up to the factory downpipe easier. The factory downpipe outlet measures 1.9" in diameter.

Here's the MBRP flange measuring 2.25" ID:

That was great until 500 or so miles ago when I upgraded to the CP-E Catted 3" downpipe. Now that tiny flange caused mounting issues as well as a potential loss in power. The good news is that from the muffler all the way out the back it's full 3" mandrel-bent goodness.

I emailed MBRP customer service asking if they had any plans to release a replacement muffler that had a 3" flange but they responded that they had no interest in doing so.

I went to Custom Performance Engineering in Beltsville, MD to have them cut off the small tube and flange and weld on a proper 3" one. Here's the finished product:

Pretty welds:

Nice large flange:

On the car bolted up to the CP-E downpipe:

There's definitely a noticeable increase in power with that restriction removed. Highly recommended for those of you who love the sound of their MBRP exhaust but don't want to be held back by the tiny flange.
Nice, I like what you did here. How much did this cost you?

me32

1000 Post Club
Looks great. Flange looks like better quality than what was on there.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I really want to see the electric cutout is the process hard or expensive?
parts will run you 170 for the cutout and y pipe. Then you will need a reducer and flange for about 25$. So for around 200$ you can have a 2.5'' exhaust that sounds mean and then have it stck for when your just driving. Win Win.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Funny this got posted. I'm doing an electric cutout for mine. I love my FRPP catback to much lol.
I did one on my 3" system.
It made VERY LITTLE if not any difference at all.

Extremely displeased so I removed it.

Dave

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
Nice, I like what you did here. How much did this cost you?
Just pulled the invoice. Seems it was $213 with labor and exhaust parts. Not the cheapest and now my MBRP cost $713 all total. I still love it though.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I ordered a 3" id flange and gasket today. $17 for that and I don't expect to pay more the $50 to have it welded up. I'm not in a hurry so imma shop around. I wish I didn't sell my mig welder last year, lol.