Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TB Performance Torsion Bar

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #21
I'm with iso... it seems to just GO through the corners... hard to explain
I expected it to just be nasty snap oversteer and it's certainly not that at all. The intended result is increased cornering speeds and it definitely meets that goal.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
You're going to love it. Are you adding bushings?

Will probably go with exactly what you've got, seems light the right thing to do at least lol.

Remember, Ford Europe dialed OUT rear camber to make it easier for the fiesta to oversteer. With the bar, just run a shim and dial in negative camber. It will be less prone to step out.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Remember, Ford Europe dialed OUT rear camber to make it easier for the fiesta to oversteer. With the bar, just run a shim and dial in negative camber. It will be less prone to step out.
Oddly enough, it seems the bar also reduces oversteer (counter intuitive) likely by reducing body roll and keeping the tires flatter.

Do you run one, Joe?

I am intrigued by why and how this bar works the way you state Iso100. Stiffening up the rear generally tends to add more oversteer and yet it seems that has been somewhat dialed out. I know you say the the rear can still break loose, but at much higher tolerances, which again leads to the idea that you dialed out some of the engineered oversteer.

You are stating that this mod keeps the tires flatter on the pavement? Isn't that opposite what a traditional RSB does?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've got the TB torsion bar, 6-point Pierce and a mid-brace on the way from Pierce. Yes, you read that correctly. Jim fabbed up mid-brace for me. My MBRP was hitting the OEM brace. I should have it Friday and I'll be getting plenty of pictures so they can add it to their catalogue. Also, Koni STR.Ts have been installed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive the car as I'm waiting on my turbo to come back in, and then my 2JR intake... I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I'm planning on this car having a completely different ride feel.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I've got the TB torsion bar, 6-point Pierce and a mid-brace on the way from Pierce. Yes, you read that correctly. Jim fabbed up mid-brace for me. My MBRP was hitting the OEM brace. I should have it Friday and I'll be getting plenty of pictures so they can add it to their catalogue. Also, Koni STR.Ts have been installed. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive the car as I'm waiting on my turbo to come back in, and then my 2JR intake... I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I'm planning on this car having a completely different ride feel.
With that much grip you may drive the rubber off your tires LOL be fun to watch this ;)

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
I am intrigued by why and how this bar works the way you state Iso100. Stiffening up the rear generally tends to add more oversteer and yet it seems that has been somewhat dialed out. I know you say the the rear can still break loose, but at much higher tolerances, which again leads to the idea that you dialed out some of the engineered oversteer.

You are stating that this mod keeps the tires flatter on the pavement? Isn't that opposite what a traditional RSB does?
I'm with you. Generally, stiffening the rear does either add oversteer or reduce understeer.

I believe what's happening is that there's less body roll/lean when under high loads. This, in turn, keeps the tires flatter on the ground for longer instead of rolling up onto the outside edge and reducing the contact patch.

I wouldn't say that "keeping the tires flatter on the pavement" is the opposite of what a traditional rear sway bar does. An anti-sway bar's main goal is increasing roll-resistance by more solidly connecting the left and right suspension together. When the right side compresses up, the bar transfers the same torque to the other side, pulling up on that side.

Additionally, this has the effect of increasing apparent spring rates while under cornering loads because any forces compressing the suspension on one side are transmitted to the other side via the bar. While going straight, the suspension will usually deflect upwards while together and just the normal spring rate will be in action, not the additive forces via the bar.

Even with the car seemingly oversteering less, ultimate grip is raised and it certainly doesn't understeer any more than normal unless you try to get it to. I'm not sure what the secret formula is for getting the rear end to step out even more than stock but I imagine it might be an increase in rear spring rates without increasing the stiffness of the twist beam rear axle.

Once I have had more time to really push the car at the (new) limits I'll be able to comment on exactly how it behaves. I have driven the car hard through turns on roads I know well and the limit is definitely starting to be higher than I feel safe trying to find on public roads. Until I know how it breaks free when it decides to finally let go I'm not going to try my luck.

Put it this way, there's a particular S curve on a back road that I can normally take at 63 or so (35 limit). Yesterday I drove it at 70 and the car was planted and sure. Not even any tire noise.

Young L

How long did it take for yall to get a shipping conformation? I ordered one the other day and havent heard from them yet.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
How long did it take for yall to get a shipping conformation? I ordered one the other day and havent heard from them yet.
After looking at my emails it took about 10 days for the shipping notification.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Finally being able to drive my car, I can echo every sentiment ISO has mentioned so far about the rear end. With this new sensation, I can say that before it was installed the rear end could be called sloppy. I didn't even use bushings. Definitely worth the money.

Now the whole with the 6-point brace is a different story. Basically on rails, goes where you point it, sticks to the road and inspires confidence.