Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TB Performance Torsion Bar

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #81
I just noticed you're in Gaithersburg, [MENTION=308]Kip2MyLou[/MENTION]... if you ever want a ride in my car, let me know. There's a big ST meet tonight in Crofton MD at 7pm.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I've finally had time to revisit some twisty roads I know well and here's how I can sum it up (keep in mind I have the Pierce 2-point lower):

One would expect that tightening up the rear would make the point at which the rear end steps out and rotates come earlier. It doesn't. What actually happens is TOTAL GRIP limits are greatly raised. The car still steps out but if you were previously taking a turn at 40 to get it to step out, that point is now 60+. It definitely still steps out but at much greater cornering loads.

Highly recommended. Now I need to order my Pierce front upper bar.
Sweet. I have the 2pt pierce bar and love it. I'll definitely be looking into this. I heard the pierce upper bar is mainly for looks though? Not true?

And I would come but I work Wednesday so I can never make it unfortunately. I will be going to the cars and coffee in great falls starting Saturday though, if you're interested in those.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #83
I heard the pierce upper bar is mainly for looks though? Not true?
Hmm, not sure. I'm not sure Jim Pierce would build something if it didn't work. His business is building race cars, not rice... so it would be an odd part for him to engineer, test, refine and bring to market if it didn't do anything.

On all prior cars that had them I could notice a small, subtle increase in initial turn-in crispness. Steering feel was always improved and tightened.

I guess it's not *too* expensive at $150 to take a gamble on.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Hmm, not sure. I'm not sure Jim Pierce would build something if it didn't work. His business is building race cars, not rice... so it would be an odd part for him to engineer, test, refine and bring to market if it didn't do anything.

On all prior cars that had them I could notice a small, subtle increase in initial turn-in crispness. Steering feel was always improved and tightened.

I guess it's not *too* expensive at $150 to take a gamble on.
Yeah that's true. I planned on getting a red one to dress up the engine bay but also improve handling, even if it's a subtle improvement. But his products are great, there's no debating that.

MOFiST

First time running a chord through the traffic circle today and man, does it want to hang the tail out.

I might go out on a limb and say that if you have upgraded springs you might not want this as it makes things too stiff. I can't help but think that my bushing modifications made this stiffer than it would normally be.

I've finally had time to revisit some twisty roads I know well and here's how I can sum it up (keep in mind I have the Pierce 2-point lower):

One would expect that tightening up the rear would make the point at which the rear end steps out and rotates come earlier. It doesn't. What actually happens is TOTAL GRIP limits are greatly raised. The car still steps out but if you were previously taking a turn at 40 to get it to step out, that point is now 60+. It definitely still steps out but at much greater cornering loads.

Highly recommended. Now I need to order my Pierce front upper bar.
Thanks for the feedback. I might just order one I reckon.
Have you changed your views since this initial impression to now?
Does Sport mode ESC adjust OK with the change or do you turn yours fully off?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #86
Thanks for the feedback. I might just order one I reckon.
Have you changed your views since this initial impression to now?
Does Sport mode ESC adjust OK with the change or do you turn yours fully off?
Yeah. I no longer believe that it could adversely affect handling the way the bar works on this car's suspension configuration and geometry. If you enjoy how it steps out fairly easily at relatively low speed you might not like it but ultimately grip is greatly increased and thus speed through corners is as well.

The point at which the rear end steps out is also raised by the same amount. It's not like other cars where you get snap oversteer unexpectedly early.

I've driven it on both Sport mode ESC and fully off and it performs as I'd expect.

MOFiST

Good info thanks. Curious on why you think lower springs would make it too stiff? Do you have plans to lower your car at all?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have always said these things work.

Dave

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
Good info thanks. Curious on why you think lower springs would make it too stiff? Do you have plans to lower your car at all?
I was saying that I no longer feel that coilovers would make things too stiff with this bar. It would make lateral stiffness higher (that's the whole point) but I don't think it would be horrible.

For those buying aftermarket springs for the softer ride (most are progressive rate) then I would suggest against this as it would end up mitigating much of the ride "improvement" some people are aiming for. If you hit a bump only on one side of the car it would really transmit that torque to the other side.

I've had my rear torsion bar on for about 10 days. Does a great job of reducing under steer on sharp, tight turns. Another benefit that I noticed was how much more stable the car feels during high speed sweeping turns. Great mod especially considering the price and 15 minute install.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Let's just say that I went into a cloverleaf at 60mph, accelerated to 70mph throughout the turn and exited at 80mph and the car seemed to think it was just another day.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #92
Let's just say that I went into a cloverleaf at 60mph, accelerated to 70mph throughout the turn and exited at 80mph and the car seemed to think it was just another day.
Yep. The car is like, "is that all you've got?"

Yeah I can't wait to get my wheel issue sorted out so I can actually put it through the paces, and by paces I mean western NC mountains. [raceflag]

MOFiST

Good news to any one over the oceans or across the border. Free international shipping right now on TB performance's torsion bars! Needless to say I've ordered one on the spot. [emoji41]
He told me there is some in stock ready to ship. Looking forward to testing this out [emoji41]

Young L

So being stationed in Germany things that are ordered from the states typically take a week to 14 days to get to us. But HOLY CRAP its taken 22 days for this torsion bar to ship from CA to NJ, wtf yO!?!

Good news to any one over the oceans or across the border. Free international shipping right now on TB performance's torsion bars! Needless to say I've ordered one on the spot. [emoji41]
He told me there is some in stock ready to ship. Looking forward to testing this out [emoji41]
You will not regret it.

MOFiST

So my TB Torsion bar arrived two days ago and I picked it up today.
Nice build quality and he did appear to take quite a hit on postage which is very kind of him. [thumb]
I've decided to do the ISO100 bushing mod but as they are harder to come by over in OZ I've ordered from China for a few bucks.
I may mount it while I wait and see if I notice a difference with the bushings.
I'm surprised it's smaller than I imagined. I put the coffee cup in the picture for perspective.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #99
I've decided to do the ISO100 bushing mod but as they are harder to come by over in OZ I've ordered from China for a few bucks.
Whoa, people read my posts!? ;)

Just remember that it won't just drop right in with the bushings. You'll need a C clamp or two to gradually walk it down the bolts to the bottom of the C channel. An impact wrench makes things go faster too. Good luck!

MOFiST

Whoa, people read my posts!? ;)

Just remember that it won't just drop right in with the bushings. You'll need a C clamp or two to gradually walk it down the bolts to the bottom of the C channel. An impact wrench makes things go faster too. Good luck!
I just read your 1st post once more.
I'll definitely try without the bushing first in case the mod is not for me.
The bushing mod seems to add an extra level of 'commitment' like you say.