Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
The humming/buzzing is probably the IAT sensor. It's behind the small round grill to the right of the steering wheel. You can actually get to it from under the dash - just pulls out. Has a small fan built into it that makes a buzzing noise that comes and goes, gets louder and softer, etc. All attempts to get rid of the noise were temporary, but don't want to bother trying to get it warrantied. Been through nightmares on other issues.

The humming/buzzing is probably the IAT sensor. It's behind the small round grill to the right of the steering wheel. You can actually get to it from under the dash - just pulls out. Has a small fan built into it that makes a buzzing noise that comes and goes, gets louder and softer, etc. All attempts to get rid of the noise were temporary, but don't want to bother trying to get it warrantied. Been through nightmares on other issues.
Thanks! I will check it out tomorrow when we have some warm weather.

jeff

2000 Post Club
My 2014 started doing it last week, stopped, did it again this am on start up. This is sounding like an epidemic.

I am under warranty, but have no confidence in local dealership service. They did not even know how to reset tire sensors, I had to run before they tried to change them, claimed aftermarket wheels were defective.

But they have a great parts guy, maybe I will see if he can get me the part and install it myself if dash does not have to be removed.
Ditto on dealerships in general....I have had nightmare experiences having them do recalls and installs....I'm scared to take my car to them for anything. In most cases, it seems that they just don't care how well they do the work. I'd much rather buy the part and do the work myself so it's done right.

I'm not buying parts from the dealer anymore. I looked up the transmission mount to replace it and it cost something like $29 on fordparts.com. Said the dealership had it. Went to the dealership said it was a different part number that they didn't have and it was more like $49. I believed them and bought it and had it shipped to me.

It was the same damn part as the regular fiesta and the one that was on Fordparts.com and they took me for a $20 ride. [:(!]

Suffice to say, I will be removing mine shortly and confirming what exact part fits it as some of the stuff I see online is questionable at best. But I'm not overpaying for a stupid part at a dealership again.
If either of you guys get the part and do the install, it would be great if you'd post some thoughts in a new thread....might help some of us in the future who very likely will encounter this problem.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm in the club now as well. Did they revise the part? Or am I going to be replacing this same part every 2 years like 6.0L powerstroke owners do with..... EVERYTHING.

Flaco

2000 Post Club

Siestarider

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5993-Clicking-noise-coming-from-the-center-console

We have talked about this blasted click click before check post # 3 in the above thread it has the part number. And its and easy fix I did it myself. However I don't know if the part has been revised it looked the same to me. No problems with the new one
Thanks for the reference, these threads need to be combined and Moderator set up so folks can find them.

Time to replace blender door varies from 1-4 hours? Long time to spend upside down and backward in a footwell.

I believe we need a global answer from Ford, is there a true fix or are we just swapping one poor part for another?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Its bad enough it takes 15 seconds and a freezing blast in the face before the defroster comes on and hits the window.

You were spot on with this. Popped mine our this weekend and found it to be the culprit. Going to go by the dealership this week to see what they can do.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/5993-Clicking-noise-coming-from-the-center-console

We have talked about this blasted click click before check post # 3 in the above thread it has the part number. And its and easy fix I did it myself. However I don't know if the part has been revised it looked the same to me. No problems with the new one
Yeah, I have seen the actual part number. A small portion of my curiosity is if the regular fiesta or the 2013 PN will work as well. I know I have found those for $27 and can be bought at an autozone. The part number listed in that post is more expensive and not readily available. Just curiosity. If I can pull the old one out and take it up to AZ and check it against their part, and it looks the same, I'm going with the cheaper unit on hand.

I still haven't gotten to pull it out. I decided to refinish our kitchen table last weekend and had an issue, so my garage is taken up till at least tomorrow. Then the wife's birthday is this weekend. I want to get rid of this awful clicking, but I need to find the time. :-(

And now my 2014 Fiesta ST is making the click. Scheduled for warranty work Monday. Hopefully the part is in stock, it's a good size dealership. Updates to come.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My dealer said mine could not be warrantied because I have an upgraded downpipe...

Just kidding. If I had a warranty and I took it in ( I'm 2k miles past that waste of time that ford calls a "warranty"), I'm sure they would say something insane like they did on everything else...

Alright. I finally got a chance to remove the offending part. as shown between the steering column making this clicking sound:

http://vid66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/sabrelime/20160208_080403.mp4

I had it out in about 30 minutes.

I took out the seat, then one of the brake pedal sensors, then the knee airbag units, and then you just have to snake your hand up next to the steering column with a 1/4 inch ratchet and a 7/64 allen bit and remove two screws.

Here is the brake pedal sensor. You can remove it by twisting it counter-clockwise with the little blue tabs on the side of it:

This allows you to remove a very difficult to reach 10mm nut holding the console side of the knee airbag in place. There is another 10mm nut on the opposite side that is easy to get to. Then you just pop out the plastic tabs in from to pull back the airbag:

You unscrew the actuator motor leaving this hole:

Here is the actuator:

Its the exact same one as one they are selling on ebay for a 2011-2014 fiesta Actuator for $19.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221522180489

I just thought pictures and instructions would be helpful to members in the near future as warranties expire and more and more people end up having to do this. It sounds like it is a pretty widespread issue.

Siestarider

I just thought pictures and instructions would be helpful to members in the near future as warranties expire and more and more people end up having to do this. It sounds like it is a pretty widespread issue.
Outstanding post. Decent nylon gears would not fail like that so soon.

Mine is still under warranty but now that I visualize the problem, I will repair it myself rather than risk dealership messing something else up.

I just had my second one go out in 9 months. While I might be able to get the stealership to fix it under part warranty, time is money too, and I was without my car for 2 days last time. I just ordered the part from RockAuto and will do it myself. Excellent post and thanks!