Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I just had my second one go out in 9 months. While I might be able to get the stealership to fix it under part warranty, time is money too, and I was without my car for 2 days last time. I just ordered the part from RockAuto and will do it myself. Excellent post and thanks!
Yet another failure from ford. Why is this not recalled ?... Mine has been doing this for a while. I just have bigger fish to fry. I just make sure everytime someone gets in my almost new car, I make sure to explain its because I drive an epic car build by a shitty company.

Siestarider

I reported my actuator failure to my parts guy at Ford, advised him numerous folks on forum had reported same, so he ordered me a different part

Note the larger gear pops off to reveal same gear as original fittment

This part is more robust than original, not exactly same, but it fits. Had to rotate shutter 90 degrees counterclockwise to gain original mounting location with gear engaged.

Works fine so far, no more clicking.

Now for bad news. Although only four fasteners, 2 10mm nuts and two T20 screws, the air bag nuts are on longish studs, deep socket removes right hand one, but left hand one (behind brake switch) may be the single most miserable fastener I have ever removed. Finally got it with 1/4 inch drive socket and 3" wobble extension.

Then the two T20 screws, ultracheap fasteners with shallow heads and braille removal, painfully slow to remove and replace.

If you have large hands, bad left elbow, bad lower back, or failed contortionist class: any one of these, have dealer do it. All of them, you can do it in 4 hours with lots of pain delays and cursing. My hat is off to BG, anyone who can do this little job in less than 1 hour has great tools and skill. I would rather remove two new turbo heat shields than do this one again.

lots of good info here guys! thanks! I got the extended warranty when i bought my 2014, and i take all my work trucks to the same dealership that i bought the car from when they need service, so hopefully i can get them to warranty it WITH the updated/better part :) we'll see!!

I just fixed this myself, the replacement part off RockAuto did indeed look beefier. For anybody doing this themselves, note that the screws holding the actuator in place are Torx, not allens as has been posted some places. T20s if I remember right.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Siestarider can you link me to that thread mine started yesterday. Does anyone have the actual part number to that actuater and where it located. Is the actuater behind the glove box. thanks all

Siestarider

Search "clicking noise" on forum, it will come up. I posted a pic of the actuator I used including part # and bag in background.

Siestarider can you link me to that thread mine started yesterday. Does anyone have the actual part number to that actuater and where it located. Is the actuater behind the glove box. thanks all
YH1935, I got mine on RockAuto for fairly cheap. It's on the driver's side, you'll need to remove the airbag and the brake pedal sensor to get to it. 10mm socket on the two bolts holding the airbag on, you'll want a universal joint for the socket, one is in a pretty awkward place behind the brake pedal sensor.

Hey toast, I went to rockauto website and is that called a heater door actuator made by motorcraft?
Yup, that should be the one. It's the motor that shifts the airflow between the upper and lower vents. If you want to be sure it's the right part you can get a flashlight and look up from the foot well while changing which vents are selected, you should hear the clicking and you'll be able to see the gear twitching instead of turning.

I see there are three
MOTORCRAFT YH1896 {#BE8Z19E616B} Mode Door Actuator

Previous Image
Next Image
$6.19

MOTORCRAFT YH1895 {#BE8Z19E616A} HVAC Recirculation Door Actuator

Previous Image
Next Image
$21.79

MOTORCRAFT YH1935 {#AV1Z19E616A}
is the yh1935 the newer of the three part numbers,

I see there are three
MOTORCRAFT YH1896 {#BE8Z19E616B} Mode Door Actuator

Previous Image
Next Image
$6.19

MOTORCRAFT YH1895 {#BE8Z19E616A} HVAC Recirculation Door Actuator

Previous Image
Next Image
$21.79

MOTORCRAFT YH1935 {#AV1Z19E616A}
is the yh1935 the newer of the three part numbers,
Not sure about the other two, but I ordered the YH1935 based on what I'd read in another thread, can't remember where. It definitely fits and works great. Seems more solidly built.

Hey toast thanks a bunch you saved me a lot of dough and the frustration I had to go through with the dealerships.[:)]
No problem. When you install it, there's a gear on the actuator. Don't try to move it, instead rotate the big gear it is inserted into until they are aligned.

Just finished ordering it it should be here in three days. If I have questions I hope u don't mind if I pm you again. thanks

Has anybody that used a YH1935 as a replacement had any issues with breakage again down the line or is it holding up pretty good?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Loud clicking under dash upon cold start

This is something new; suddenly developed. Upon cold start, after the engine starts, about 10 seconds after, there is a flurry of loud clicking from under the dash that lasts for about 10 seconds or so and then stops. Nothing that I can notice that is affected.

I have heard in the past some very faint clicking "somewhere" - I think that what I hear now is essentially a worsened condition. The only thing that I did before the clicking started was to tap one of the fuse slots to power the rally lights I installed. But, I moved the tap around in the front fuse box just to make sure that this isn't something caused by that, and the clicking is still there. So, not sure what the heck is going on.

Thoughts?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Blend door actuator? Are you at about 20-30k miles on your car?
I wonder what that is - BDA? And, yes, I am about 31K on the FiST.
Do tell.

Ahh, the interwebs. Indeed, based on the other posts, it seems that it is the actuator that has gone bad. My car is actually a CPO, so technically, I have another 5K of warranty. However, I wonder if the dealers going to give me any guff, given that the car has "a number" of parts swapped for go-fast and 'not overheat when go fast'... Nothing to do with the AC, clearly, but who knows with those guys...