Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Just replaced my blend door actuator which started making clicking / tapping noises a few weeks ago...Damn tapping sound was annoying the hell out of me...replacement took me about an hour...

And big thanks to [MENTION=4174]BGPunk2001[/MENTION] for a great DiY writeup posted earlier in this thread...

BGPunk2001 Blend door actuator DiY

Just replaced my blend door actuator which started making clicking / tapping noises a few weeks ago...Damn tapping sound was annoying the hell out of me...replacement took me about an hour...

And big thanks to [MENTION=4174]BGPunk2001[/MENTION] for a great DiY writeup posted earlier in this thread...

BGPunk2001 Blend door actuator DiY
Did you use the "improved" actuator motor? Mine just started this crap yesterday at 39K miles. Under my extended warranty the dealer will fix it for $100 but they will probably have the car for 2-3 days, so I will also have to get a rental car. I am inclined to do it myself at this point. I have the tools and the skills, I am just lazy.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Did you use the "improved" actuator motor? Mine just started this crap yesterday at 39K miles. Under my extended warranty the dealer will fix it for $100 but they will probably have the car for 2-3 days, so I will also have to get a rental car. I am inclined to do it myself at this point. I have the tools and the skills, I am just lazy.
The new Motorcraft actuator I purchased had a stamped build date of Dec 2015 and a -BC suffix ...The old actuator had a build date of Feb 2013 and a -BB suffix ...purchased through Rockauto...New one appears to be a bit more robust and definitely fixed the problem....Was a relatively cheap fix and certainly not that complicated or difficult to do myself...Didn't even have to remove the seat...

The main reason why I didn't bring into dealership to have them take care of is that I didn't want the kids (mech's) that work there scratching or screwing with my car...

Update: my warranty went so smoothly dropped car off at 7:30am and was done in 4 hours they took very good care of me. They gave me a loaner car just in case because they originally told me 3-4 days. Ford service advisors agreed that there should be tsb for our cars and other Ford models that have been going out.

Had mine replaced yesterday under warranty as well. 14 with 26k. They had the part on hand and had me fixed in 2hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest concern is if the replacement part goes out again and my bumper to bumper expires in 25 days I got mine done under warranty just in time.

Mine just started clicking, on start up and when I switch from AUTO to max a/c. 2016 with 9700 miles, need to go to the dealer anyway for service so hopefully warranty will take care of it

ChoobsX

2014 FiST @ 35,500 miles, my actuator just started clicking. Seeing posts of this taking anywhere from 2-4 days for a 1-4 hour job isn't acceptable to me so looking I'll be replacing it myself...

is YH1896 the old part? I also see YH1895 and YH1935. Any word on which of these is the correct updated part?

2014 FiST @ 35,500 miles, my actuator just started clicking. Seeing posts of this taking anywhere from 2-4 days for a 1-4 hour job isn't acceptable to me so looking I'll be replacing it myself...

is YH1896 the old part? I also see YH1895 and YH1935. Any word on which of these is the correct updated part?
YH1935 should be the right one. That's what's in my 2014 ST now, no problems since it was installed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Feel free - but, my understanding is that you have to be a contortionist with small hands... That's why I went to the dealer. That, and not having an air-conditioned garage in Houston.

ChoobsX

Feel free - but, my understanding is that you have to be a contortionist with small hands... That's why I went to the dealer. That, and not having an air-conditioned garage in Houston.
Its not my first rodeo with jamming my hands in small places. Working upside down in the driver's seat is a normal position when owning VWs! I guess it'll be normal with a Ford too.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Its not my first rodeo with jamming my hands in small places. Working upside down in the driver's seat is a normal position when owning VWs! I guess it'll be normal with a Ford too.
You should have no problem then...Its was pretty straight forward and took me about an hour...

Blend door actuator.

I turned windshield defroster/ defogger on today to clear my windshield for about 5 minutes. Switched back to vent. & the loud clicking noise started. Did some research. Sounds like the blend door actuator? 2016 Fiesta ST with 9,300 miles on it. Sounds like another trip to the dealership.

Tried to take it Summerville Ford to look at it prior and they just didn't seem to want to look at it. I took mine to Jones Ford a few months ago, had me in and out in a few hours. It may be a bit farther out, but I'm going to have them do my warranty service from now on.

I did this back in July this year. It's not difficult but requires removing the driver's seat from the car or just moving it to the back seat area so you can get on your back to remove the knee-airbag. Do yourselves a favor and go to Harbor Freight to purchase a right-angle ratcheting driver as shown in the photos.

ATTENTION: As noted in earlier posts the correct part is YH-1895 and not YH-1935 like what I had used (it was recommended to me on another forum). The YH-1935 part still "works" but it feels like it doesn't sits properly compared to what I pulled from the car.

Budget at least 2 hours for your first install but once you know how to do this it could be done in less than an hour. I was just careful not to damage the knee-airbag connectors or tabs.

20160717_160308.jpg
20160717_160436.jpg
20160717_162048_001.jpg
20160717_162037.jpg
20160717_162213.jpg
20160717_162154.jpg

Again, this part "works" but it probably doesn't fit as well as the YH-1896
20160717_160635.jpg
20160717_160648.jpg

20160717_172127.jpg
20160717_172141.jpg

I scheduled an appointment over at Jones Ford in North Charleston on Friday. Sounds like a gear is broken in the blend door actuator ?

Hello everyone. Currently @ Jones Ford in North Charleston. I arrived at about 0826. Needs a new blend door actuator. This one failed at about 9,400 miles.

Blend Door Actuator Issue - Clicking noise behind dash

Changed mine yesterday. It's pretty easy, took about 45 min. Hardest part is that nut on the knee airbag next to the brake pedal switch. Getting that nut on and off is the longest part of the process.

You'll need a right angle ratcheting bit driver and a T-20 torx to get the screws out.

Stripped gear.