Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.1%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
Hello. Blend door actuator replacement time again. I have an appointment over at Jones Ford in North Charleston South Carolina on October 17th. The first one was replaced at around 9,000 miles. My car has about 22,000 miles on it now. 2016 fiesta st. This part lasted slightly longer than the original. So it'll be replaced under warranty.

I keep thinking it might be a good option to 3D print replacement gears made of stronger plastic and/or redesign the teeths to make them stronger. This would solve the issue once and for all.

So Ford replaced the door actuator. This was actually the passenger side this time. $ 7.76 part. $ 138 labor. Luckily I'm still covered under warranty.

haste

1000 Post Club
56k miles '15 model year and I've had my first actuator failure. It sounds like its coming from behind the driver side near the engine start/stop button. Sigh...

This is the first failure of any kind I have had on this car. I guess I really can't complain too much.

51K on a 15 Fiesta St; Blend door on the driver side started making the noise. I guess this a common problem :-(

took my car in yesterday morning went to pick it up later in the day and turns out the tech broke one of the antennas for the key fob so they had to order that piece and get me a rental. pick the car up tomorrow, ugh.

'16 w/~7k miles. Mine started popping a few days ago.

Biz trip next week, will try and drop the car off to get fixed while traveling.

Hopefully Ford reengineers this part, as it's obviously weak.

Just had mine fixed this morning. It was intermittent for the last few months and finally got on my nerves enough to bring it in. 2016 with 21k.

V_2

I think crappy blend door actuators is a Ford issue in general. I replaced the same part in my mother in law's explorer twice now for the same issue.

[?|] '14 with 35k miles and this started tap tap tapping this morning. Warranty is up so no beuno. Seems like it's on the drivers side behind stop/start button...

So the consensus is YH1896(BE8Z19E616B)(oem @$5.90) or DORMAN 604400(BE8Z19E616B)($20.79) for the Drivers side or AV1Z-19E616-K(Passenger side)?

I think part (ha!) of the issue with the part numbers is that there are two actuators, one on the passenger side and one on the driver's side.

After talking to the service adviser and tech, it sounds like the driver's side is mode controlled and the passenger side is temp controlled. Both can have the same failure, the little plastic gear sheers a tooth and click-click-click.

Mine was the driver's side actuator. I'll have to look at my receipt and see if the part number is on there.

HBEcoBeaST

I ordered the dorman part for my 2014 with 29K on it. 24.99 on amazon. Im used to my 2003 toyota tundra 4.7l where literally nothing broke unless you hit something or something hit you. Kind of bummed but at least its not a mechanical problem...

Oh well, time to get intimate with my car's guts.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mine just started to act up this morning and again after I left work with only 10,500 miles on the clock, and very little climate control use. [}(]

yipikajei

My started acting up yesterday evening for the second time. First time it went out at around 10k miles last year. Now I have 21k and it started making this sound again. Will take it to dealer for warranty repair. Just sucks it happened twice already. Does not make me feel optimistic for future either...

Well my 2017 just started the ticking today, 1800 miles! Guess I need to call and make an appointment. I'm kind of shocked it happened so soon but not so much that it happened.

jeh

My hot/cold actuator failed last year, and in the past week a different one (more towards the passenger's side) has failed. My 2015 ST is still under arranty (~11k miles), but I'm concerned that this problem may keep occurring after the warranty is up. Does anyone know if Ford is putting a revised part in now?

HBEcoBeaST

My hot/cold actuator failed last year, and in the past week a different one (more towards the passenger's side) has failed. My 2015 ST is still under arranty (~11k miles), but I'm concerned that this problem may keep occurring after the warranty is up. Does anyone know if Ford is putting a revised part in now?
I wish. I bought the part off Amazon and it looks a little more robust than OEM. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to replace mine yet and my Ford dealer wants to charge 168$ for labor...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jeh

I wish. I bought the part off Amazon and it looks a little more robust than OEM. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to replace mine yet and my Ford dealer wants to charge 168$ for labor...

Do you know if the dash has to be removed to replace any of these (driver and/or passenger side)? The dealer told me they would have to take the dash off but I've seen videos of the driver side being done by just contorting yourself under the dash.

A7xogg

Guys i should probably upload some pictures and make a diy for this. i just did my blend door without removing the airbag. All you need to do is remove the plastic covers that are right behind the steering wheel. with the wheel adjusted as far high as it can be adjusted i had enough room for a 1/4" socket wrench and a t20 adapter. took less than an hour. as long as your hands and arms are normal size you should be able to install a blend door without removal of airbag.

HBEcoBeaST

Guys i should probably upload some pictures and make a diy for this. i just did my blend door without removing the airbag. All you need to do is remove the plastic covers that are right behind the steering wheel. with the wheel adjusted as far high as it can be adjusted i had enough room for a 1/4" socket wrench and a t20 adapter. took less than an hour. as long as your hands and arms are normal size you should be able to install a blend door without removal of airbag.
Yes please. I was intimidated by the air bag removal in the awkward working position. Replacement park has been sitting for a month now. Embarrassing.