Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
There should be a recall on this part, since it is a known issue....or at least extend the warranty on the one part, kind of like they did with the SYNC module.

I'm glad we finally got an upgraded part # though. At least we can finally fix it and not have to think about it happening again 15k miles later. Ford should recall it, but.... what's right and what Ford typically does are two different things. #LastFordiWillEverBuy

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Companies in general only recall over safety concerns. For example, a friend had bought a used Honda Accord and like many, were impacted by electrical problems within the dash for that production year. They didn't recall it and not sure they even sent a notice. But they did stand behind the product. When he took it into the dealer, they provided him with a loaner and didn't charge him for that or the repair. So far as I know, he didn't have to get indignant with anyone; though I think he knows someone. Since then, I think he's bought three more. (one for his wife and two more for himself) A cousin on the otherhand, has had bad luck with Hondas. The dealer wants to put a $5,000 transmission in'em every five to eight years; despite keeping up on the maintenance like pretty much all Honda owners. Rather than pay she just sells it back to the dealer in exchange for another.

==============

If you have the climate control on automatic, instead of Hi or Lo then it is constantly making minor adjustments which wears them out. It also opens/closes the doors everytime the ignition is turned on/off, even if you have the climate control system off with no display. (doors move on delay when the ignition is turned off)

I'm about to tackle replacing this myself... got a silly question. Are there more than one of these things in the car? Like passenger side and driver side, or is there just one actuator for the whole thing?

I just started getting the dreaded clicking. Mine is a 2014 with like 53k miles. I bought the car at 50k miles so who knows how many of these things it's gone through.

So my question is - has anyone tried Dorman part #604400 Rock Auto sells? I'd normally go for the Motorcraft part but under the circumstances that matches the definition of insanity. The alternate Motorcraft YH1935 people are recommending appears to be a part used on Ford trucks - maybe it's heavier duty but a quick search of Ford truck forums indicates that part fails on a regular basis too.

I had the same issue on my wife's Freestyle. That was several years ago and I remember using a Dorman part to replace the original. It seems to be holding up fine but I guess the original lasted probably 120k miles so it's apparently not as stressed in the Freestyle as it is in the Fiesta. By the way, replacing the actuator on the Freestyle took all of 5 minutes - just pop out the glove box and there it is.

So anyone use the Dorman part and if so how's it holding up?

Looks like Rock Auto sold out of the Dorman 604400 - I guess there are some folk out there trying it - feedback anyone?

V_2

Add me to the list...Mine just started clicking this morning. '16 with 18k miles. Bringing it in to be replaced tomorrow. I'm also getting them to look at some nasty NVH coming from the HVAC system when the AC compressor is running in warm weather. Like a grinding/humming resonance can be felt through the whole car. Starts/stops immediately when I toggle the compressor switch. Already had the compressor replaced once for a separate issue.

I stumbled upon this video today:
[video=youtube;sQ2afrTj1xY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2afrTj1xY[/video]

It seems like the gear breaking problem of the old part is fixed but there is a complete other issue with the contact pins on the revised part. Just food for thought....

Last edited:

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I stumbled upon this video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2afrTj1xY

It seems like the gear breaking problem of the old part is fixed but there is a complete other issue with the contact pins on the revised part. Just food for thought....
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Replaced mine over the weekend. It was the one on the passenger side so super easy to replace. It was almost toooo easy...

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Mine was replaced under extended warranty, along with A/C compressor they said was fine 20k miles ago. Would intermittently cut off, turning it off and back on would buy another half hour of operation. Got in the car at dealer and vent drops into footwell . mechanic sheepishly comes over to make it right. I'd better look over the compressor installation.

Remove the glove box by opening it, pressing in on the sides and pulling out and then the actuator is right there.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I have to go into work tomorrow on a Sunday(yeah fun right?) for inventory so I can get the part numbers for all the blend doors and diagram if needed.

EDIT: Just for future comers. Here are part numbers taken off from my 2017 VIN

Inlet door: BE8Z-19E616-A
Temperature Blend door: AV1Z-19E616-K
Mode Control: BE8Z-19E616-B

Last edited:
Is it the same part number?
Honestly I bought the cheapest motorcraft one from Rock Auto that they listed for Fiesta ST. It was identical to the bad part I removed EXCEPT for one of the grooves where it fit in had a different pattern then what I needed. I just dremeled out where I needed to then it fit fine..

I installed the Dorman 604-400 I got from Amazon for like $33 last weekend. The Dorman part is a bit bigger and chunkier than the Ford part so hopefully it's heavier duty. If it fails you'll all be the first to know. It's working perfectly for now.

The install took me about 1.5 hrs. I took the good advice of others on here and removed the drivers seat which made life a lot easier - 4 torx screws (#50 I think) and an electrical plug and I lifted it off and put it in the back of the car (rear seats down) - 5 minutes well spent. I also got to shop vac all the crumbs under there.

Then I removed the knee airbag - wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting - that one booger of a bolt came right out. I think I got lucky and have the exact length of deep socket for my 3/8" ratchet to make it easy - this one is shorter than your usual deep socket. It looks like there is a real narrow range of tool length that will work - if my socket was 1/4" longer or 1/4" shorter it probably wouldn't have worked.

Others have said the actuator is attached with Philips head screws - my 2014 has torx screws (#20 or #30, I forget). I used a torx socket on my 1/4" ratchet - a bit fiddly and you do the top one blind but not too bad.