Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
Just bought my 14' st with 17.8k miles and it has this problem already. Ordered that part from Rock auto (I think it was $5) and am awaiting its delivery. This will probably be the one time I hope my hands are small enough to do a job. lol

Just bought my 14' st with 17.8k miles and it has this problem already. Ordered that part from Rock auto (I think it was $5) and am awaiting its delivery. This will probably be the one time I hope my hands are small enough to do a job. lol
There's enough room if you take off the lower steering column from but it helps to be slim with long fingers. I don't see how these burly guys work on cars, I'd hire skinny dudes. :lol:

Tide95

'17 ST with 3600mi just got dropped off at the dealer for this. Do I set the lowest mileage failure record?

Alright, so, i change this over today, part came from rock auto, MOTORCRAFT YH1896 {#BE8Z19E616B} Mode Door Actuator, 5 dollar and some change
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...conditioning,heater+blend+door+actuator,10721
Using this video as reference, but i didnt remove the seat, i have small hands and using a thumb-bit holder for the tork bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egmks-xBThA&feature=youtu.be
super easy
Dude, felopr, thank you so much. When this started to become an obvious recurring issue a few years ago it sounded like the labor would be a total PITA. But using your video as reference it was actually REALLY easy. I spent as much time disconnecting the battery (just in case since my head would be under the knee airbag) and taking the wheel cover off as I did replacing the actuator. Total time to install was under an hour including putting the steering wheel cover back together.

Another tip for anyone looking to save $180 of labor: my old broken actuator was not in the "home" position when I took it out. I looked at the angle between the notch and the arrow on the old actuator to guess what angle my new actuator had to go in. Then once I had the gear from the new actuator engaged with the blend door, I was able to align it with the bolt holes.

Again, super easy process. I had this replaced twice under warranty but now that I'm past warranty it's easy enough that it will only MILDLY piss me off if I have to do this every 20,000 miles.

One last thing: holy crap Ford, get your act together. Some metal gears, or hell even better plastic, would make this not break if you look at it wrong. Pretty embarrassing.

How big are u? I'm a 245lb 5'8" powerlifter so I'm pretty stocky. Getting my '16 serviced now and I have '14 that's out of warranty and has had it replaced once already also.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just had mine changed yesterday.
This cost me $50.00 for the deductible fee under my ESP warranty.
Well worth it I might add, as I can't get into that position under the dash anymore.

Dave

Mine just started clicking at 8k miles, 2015. Taking to the dealer next week since I’m still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillMcK

I have a 2014 FiST and mine has gone bad for the second time now since I've owned it (bought January 2016).

Car is no longer under warranty. Part was replaced exactly two years ago so it's no longer under warranty.

Looked up the part, only costs about $6. Dealer says it's going to be about $400-$500 to fix because of labor [thumbdown]. Guess I'll just keep the footwell air on for the time being.

I just started having a problem with my climate control fan. It doesn't seem to want to blow much out of the main vents any more, just the foot vents. I'm not hearing any clicking, though, so I'm not sure if this is the same problem everyone's been having.

With this many failures in our little community, I'm wondering about the possibility of a class action suit if Ford won't release a recall with an upgraded part. Not a big deal with the car under warranty, but plenty here have had it replaced under warranty and then having it fail again outside of warranty. No bueno, Ford.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
With this many failures in our little community, I'm wondering about the possibility of a class action suit if Ford won't release a recall with an upgraded part. Not a big deal with the car under warranty, but plenty here have had it replaced under warranty and then having it fail again outside of warranty. No bueno, Ford.
Seriously!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

for real, its crazy!

23000 miles and i have to replace mine.got the part from my local ford dealer for 50.00 dollars.don,t trust rock auto parts lol.easy to replace just take the driver,s seat out and take off the panel below the steering wheel.

I finally have the "man trapped in the dash trying to get out" according to my kids. I'm in warranty, but hate the idea of the dealer tearing into the dash. With small nimble hands and being a contorsionist is it worth having the dealer do it for "free"? I was pondering having them look at axel seals as well, but then I would have to swap the rmm.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Your rmm has absolutely nothing to do with the axle seals. Had mine repaired 3 times. All with a cp-e rmm installed

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have a 2014 FiST and mine has gone bad for the second time now since I've owned it (bought January 2016).

Car is no longer under warranty. Part was replaced exactly two years ago so it's no longer under warranty.

Looked up the part, only costs about $6. Dealer says it's going to be about $400-$500 to fix because of labor [thumbdown]. Guess I'll just keep the footwell air on for the time being.
Wow--I'm really surprised you were able to hear that labor quote from your dealer. Whoever gave you that quote obviously has his or head stuck so far up their own ass that it is a miracle anyone can hear a word they speak. Lots of threads and videos out there describing how it is an easy fix that should never take several hours for a dealer to do.

Had mine replaced under warranty at roughly 25,000 miles.
I was nervous about getting the car back with a dozen new rattles and broken clips all about the dash, but I give my service manager a lot of credit. They did a solid job.
They even took the time to neatly run and zip-tie the cabling for my accessport, dash camera and radar under neath the panels when they were putting it all back together.

17,000 miles have been put on since the job and I'm still rattle free, thank goodness.