Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Issue Thread

Who has had blend door actuator problems?

• '14 Fiesta ST

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • '15 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '16 Fiesta ST

Votes: 144 29.0%
  • '17 Fiesta ST

Votes: 65 13.1%

• Total voters
Mine just started making this noise today! I figured maybe the cold had something to do with it but I doubt it. Car has 18k miles. Now I have to decide if I want to fix it myself or let Ford do it.

Mine just started making this noise today! I figured maybe the cold had something to do with it but I doubt it. Car has 18k miles. Now I have to decide if I want to fix it myself or let Ford do it.
Why bother. If you only have 18k you’re under warranty

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ugh thinking about going to the dealer makes my skin crawl. I suppose I could make an appointment but then I have to waste time on the weekend plus reflash back to the stock tune.
Agreed. Mine just started this yesterday and no way I'm going to the dealer for something so easy to DIY and relatively cheap

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

felopr

https://youtu.be/Egmks-xBThA
Took me 30 minutes. Part number is yh-1896. Has 5 prongs. Also changed passenger side. Remove glove box and its right there. Part number is yh-1895. Has 2 prongs.
thanks for sharing, it will help when i am ready to tackle this next week when parts arrived
Question: do you "home" as in homing the actuator before you put it in or just take it out of the bag and put it in
Thanks

felopr

Alright, so, i change this over today, part came from rock auto, MOTORCRAFT YH1896 {#BE8Z19E616B} Mode Door Actuator, 5 dollar and some change
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...conditioning,heater+blend+door+actuator,10721
Using this video as reference, but i didnt remove the seat, i have small hands and using a thumb-bit holder for the tork bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egmks-xBThA&feature=youtu.be
super easy

Here is a photo of the failure

Alright, so, i change this over today, part came from rock auto, MOTORCRAFT YH1896 {#BE8Z19E616B} Mode Door Actuator, 5 dollar and some change
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...conditioning,heater+blend+door+actuator,10721
Using this video as reference, but i didnt remove the seat, i have small hands and using a thumb-bit holder for the tork bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egmks-xBThA&feature=youtu.be
super easy

Here is a photo of the failure
I just ordered this from RockAuto so hopefully by next weekend I'll be click free. My hands aren't that big either so I'm hoping to avoid removing the seat as well.

felopr

I just ordered this from RockAuto so hopefully by next weekend I'll be click free. My hands aren't that big either so I'm hoping to avoid removing the seat as well.
Remove the thing around the steering wheel, push the steering wheel all the way up and put the seat in the most far position.
I used something like this to hold the tork bit

https://youtu.be/Egmks-xBThA
Took me 30 minutes. Part number is yh-1896. Has 5 prongs. Also changed passenger side. Remove glove box and its right there. Part number is yh-1895. Has 2 prongs.
This video helped me a lot. Thank you. I was planning to remove the steering column cover and knee airbag to maximize working space. I gave up on the knee airbag removal very quickly.

I got the Dorman 604-400 on Amazon for $20 shipped (price constantly changes). Everything fit pretty well on the driver side.

If this thing fails again, I will just pull power to the actuator. I can live with just the floor and windshield vents.

Almost had a great Fiesta ST (2014) today, then everything fell apart. First got the passenger feet side paneling put back in place, then replaced the air filter with a new washable one, next got the whole battery side of the engine taken out and replaced the shift mount bushings. That's when things went south. Snapped the head on the short shifting kit I was trying to install (I guess used the torque wrench wrong?) and had to put everything back together without it :(. Then I tried to take out the driver side air flow actuator using the latest guide posted here. Surprisingly the auto hobby shop I was working out didn't have any of the sort of short wrench devices I needed and I couldn't get the actuator off. I got one screw out. After conferring with the guys there, I gave up and drove off with my steering wheel unclad and actuator with a screw out (or so I thought). Stopped by Harbor Freight on the way home and managed to find a set of "thumb drive" ratchets. Then I scrounged the house for a T-20 torx head. Some how I had plenty of 15s and 25s, but got lucky to find one 20 left over in the bottom of a box. The thumb drive ratchet did the trick and I eventually got the actuator off (apparently, however, the screw I removed at the shop was the wrong one, now I get to try and figure out where it goes!). Anticipating a final, end to the days events, I tried to place the new actuator and had no luck! I can't get it to slot in.

Here are some pics:

Am I missing something here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can I drive around with the AC on and the actuator out?

Thanks in advance!

Almost had a great Fiesta ST (2014) today, then everything fell apart. First got the passenger feet side paneling put back in place, then replaced the air filter with a new washable one, next got the whole battery side of the engine taken out and replaced the shift mount bushings. That's when things went south. Snapped the head on the short shifting kit I was trying to install (I guess used the torque wrench wrong?) and had to put everything back together without it :(. Then I tried to take out the driver side air flow actuator using the latest guide posted here. Surprisingly the auto hobby shop I was working out didn't have any of the sort of short wrench devices I needed and I couldn't get the actuator off. I got one screw out. After conferring with the guys there, I gave up and drove off with my steering wheel unclad and actuator with a screw out (or so I thought). Stopped by Harbor Freight on the way home and managed to find a set of "thumb drive" ratchets. Then I scrounged the house for a T-20 torx head. Some how I had plenty of 15s and 25s, but got lucky to find one 20 left over in the bottom of a box. The thumb drive ratchet did the trick and I eventually got the actuator off (apparently, however, the screw I removed at the shop was the wrong one, now I get to try and figure out where it goes!). Anticipating a final, end to the days events, I tried to place the new actuator and had no luck! I can't get it to slot in.

Here are some pics:

Am I missing something here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can I drive around with the AC on and the actuator out?

Thanks in advance!
What's the part number on the new actuator? It doesn't look like the one I bought and changed out today. Mine is a Motorcraft YH1896 from Rockauto.

Yeah I thought it might have been the Dorman. You may have to move those gears around a little to get the actuator to seat properly. (The gears the actuator makes contact with.)

I had a little trouble getting mine to seat until I moved the gears a bit and clocked the part clockwise a bit more to align everything properly.

Yeah I thought it might have been the Dorman. You may have to move those gears around a little to get the actuator to seat properly. (The gears the actuator makes contact with.)

I had a little trouble getting mine to seat until I moved the gears a bit and clocked the part clockwise a bit more to align everything properly.
At the risk of sounding dumb, how should I move the gears? Force it with pliers? It doesn't seem inclined to move.