Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Koni STR.T Dirty Review

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Love them! They're great over washboard - just soft enough without over doing it. Seems like the high speed compression is opened up a bit... Very happy with the purchase - solid bang for your buck if you're concerned about the harshness of the stock FiST ride quality.

Being a person with a bad back (compressed disc) I love the Recaro's for support and now the suspension doesn't jostle me around in the seat!

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Love them! They're great over washboard - just soft enough without over doing it. Seems like the high speed compression is opened up a bit... Very happy with the purchase - solid bang for your buck if you're concerned about the harshness of the stock FiST ride quality.

Being a person with a bad back (compressed disc) I love the Recaro's for support and now the suspension doesn't jostle me around in the seat!
You paired them with stock springs or aftermarket lowering springs?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
You paired them with stock springs or aftermarket lowering springs?
Stock springs. I can't afford to go lower with the conditions I drive my FiST in. Snow, gravel, washboard etc. I need clearance.

I should have gone with 16" wheels but I still stepped up the sidewall height.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Stock springs. I can't afford to go lower with the conditions I drive my FiST in. Snow, gravel, washboard etc. I need clearance.

I should have gone with 16" wheels but I still stepped up the sidewall height.
So is the height the same with the konis or did it drop a tad from the OE struts?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #25
Glad this was bumped. After having been on these for some considerable time now, I'm not satisfied with them. I'm gonna be swapping back out with the stock shocks fairly soon here. The fronts are just too soft. I would pick up some Swift Springs, but I think I'm just gonna hang back until next spring/summer and pick up some coilovers. I'm not in town, but if you're interested, feel free to PM me. I'm gonna offer them to a few of the locals first though.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Glad this was bumped. After having been on these for some considerable time now, I'm not satisfied with them. I'm gonna be swapping back out with the stock shocks fairly soon here. The fronts are just too soft. I would pick up some Swift Springs, but I think I'm just gonna hang back until next spring/summer and pick up some coilovers. I'm not in town, but if you're interested, feel free to PM me. I'm gonna offer them to a few of the locals first though.
What springs you using? And when you day too soft you mean for the track or also DD? You experiencing too much understeer and body roll?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #27
What springs you using? And when you day too soft you mean for the track or also DD? You experiencing too much understeer and body roll?
Stock springs... I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but when going over, say, a dip in the road, the front end tends to float at highway speeds while the rear end settles quickly, before the front.

Understeer and body roll are definitely not an issue on my car.

I was just about to order these, I am going on a 700 mile trip one way this weekend, and am tired of the bounciness of the stock springs. Do you not like them for DD? Or for track use. I wont be going to the track anytime soon, escept the drag strip, But I might just buy these to help with the comfort for this long ass trip this weekend ha.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #29
I was just about to order these, I am going on a 700 mile trip one way this weekend, and am tired of the bounciness of the stock springs. Do you not like them for DD? Or for track use. I wont be going to the track anytime soon, escept the drag strip, But I might just buy these to help with the comfort for this long ass trip this weekend ha.
They're definitely more comfortable, not that I minded the OEM ride. I bought them because I thought of them as an upgrade. Honestly, in my worthless opinion, they're a lateral move, a side-grade: Near OEM performance with a softer ride.

I don't like them as DD. I haven't gotten the chance to have them on a road course, but based on my experience in the mountains, I don't like them there either. I also don't like them at the drag strip as they squat too much, costing me traction at the front.

They're definitely more comfortable, not that I minded the OEM ride. I bought them because I thought of them as an upgrade. Honestly, in my worthless opinion, they're a lateral move, a side-grade: Near OEM performance with a softer ride.

I don't like them as DD. I haven't gotten the chance to have them on a road course, but based on my experience in the mountains, I don't like them there either. I also don't like them at the drag strip as they squat too much, costing me traction at the front.
Got ya. Hmmm. Alright then, well thanks for the honest opinion. I don't so much mind the OEM ride, but in MI. It is bump city, and the car bouncies ever so slightly constantly, my girlfriend hates it, and to go on such a long drive with the bouncieness might just drive me nuts. The drag strip might be an issues. I have a bet against my buddies explorer sport. The thing is fast, and I need all the traction I can get. Ha

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #31
Got ya. Hmmm. Alright then, well thanks for the honest opinion. I don't so much mind the OEM ride, but in MI. It is bump city, and the car bouncies ever so slightly constantly, my girlfriend hates it, and to go on such a long drive with the bouncieness might just drive me nuts. The drag strip might be an issues. I have a bet against my buddies explorer sport. The thing is fast, and I need all the traction I can get. Ha
My best friend has an AWD Explorer. Heck yeah, they're quick off the line.

My best friend has an AWD Explorer. Heck yeah, they're quick off the line.
Exactly what he has, 2015 explorer sport. Livernoise tuned, intake and Magnaflow cat back. From a roll on my 93 tune before he got the catback and livernoise tune, I would take him. Now on my E30 tune, pushing 25 more WHP and 40 more WTQ. he is running a bit more power as well, It will be interesting to see how it goes at the track, Last time he ran a 13.8 I am hoping to be in the 13.6 area. Stage 3 minus intercooler, E30 tuned, V dyno shows 218WHP 328 WTQ. He launches it spins all 4's and just goes like a rocket!

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
The floatyness could be because the springs are not a good match for those struts? Those strut may be better suited for stiffer lowering springs.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #34
The floatyness could be because the springs are not a good match for those struts? Those strut may be better suited for stiffer lowering springs.
Exactly. But I like to run slightly taller tires, so dropping the car 1.8 inches isn't gonna happen. So coilovers it is.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
So is the height the same with the konis or did it drop a tad from the OE struts?
I looks to be the same height. Usually the shocks will not affect the ride height, only a spring change will. Assuming that the strut height is the same as stock (with just a valving change essentially).

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
So this morning i ordered these Koni Str.t's from 2JR and Joe send me an email saying koni raised the price by $84. Bummer these were such a good deal, had to cancel. Anyone know another site to order at a cheaper price but that have the abs brackets?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #38
So this morning i ordered these Koni Str.t's from 2JR and Joe send me an email saying koni raised the price by $84. Bummer these were such a good deal, had to cancel. Anyone know another site to order at a cheaper price but that have the abs brackets?
Well... Mine don't have the ABS brackets, but a little money will motivate me to get them off my car if you don't mind them being used.

Young L

You mean to $84 a shock or they have added another $84 on top of the original price?