Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Koni STR.T Dirty Review

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Thinking about getting these but like to hear more on your thoughts.

I already have Cobb springs, would this be a good combo?
Looking at getting better ride comfort but without giving up performance because I autox this car.
I would not recommend these struts if you track or autox. They are too soft.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Like Eibach, the Cobb is a progressive spring but with a slightly less aggressive drop. I would assume they would share similar ride quality but Cobb doesn't list the spring rates so it's difficult to make a direct comparison. That being said, you are inherently leaning more towards comfort & giving up performance with a progressive spring. If you want performance with some comfort, a linear spring with the adjustable dampening of Koni Sport, aka yellows (pricey), would be a better choice. And of course, a good set of adjustable dampening coilovers being the best choice.

So, I greased up the springs and re-tightend the bottom shock bolt with the weight of the car on them and the sound is happening less. I'm optimistic that the Eibach isolators will do the trick. Also, while under there i installed the Pierce Torsion bar and i definitely regained some of the turn-in sharpness! The front end is still a bit loose once in a turn. I'll report back after i slap on the 2pt brace up front.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Installed the Koni/Eibach setup over the weekend. I just want to quickly add my impressions. After 2 days of commuting i can agree this setup is floaty. I just don't have the confidence in the front end i did with the OEM stuff. Also, it's bouncy. Not terrible but definitely noticeable. Nothing that makes me hate it though. I still prefer it over OEM. Very comfy but still sporty. I have yet to install my bracing (2 pt and rear torsion). I'm hoping the 2pt settles the front end a bit more but i'm not expecting miracles.

What i do hate is the noise. The front is quite most of time but it does groan on certain bumps and while rarely, i get a clunk sometimes. The rear is insanely noisy. Just squawks and moans over any bumps. Sometimes it even sounds like a clunk. I checked the shocks and they're tight so it must be the coils touching.

After much googling it seems to be common issue. The cure for many was coil tubes or isolators. Pieces of hard rubber that wrap around the spring coils preventing them from making direct contact with each other. I called up Eibach and they are sending me sets for the front and rear for FREE! Tonight i'm getting the rear up and greasing the springs. If the sound changes at all then the coil tubes will be the fix.

I'll definitely be rechecking my install this weekend before doing the bracing.

And here's how she sits. I'm diggin it so you know i'm gonna find a way to shut it up [twothumb]

Ok, first let me apologize for the super long post...

I bought these from LilPartyBox (thanks man!) since I was looking for a better ride for future road trips. Went to FL from CA and back earlier this year and while stock was manageable, though fairly annoying, on the main highway most of the time because it was usually maintained well, a few side highways gave some very uncomfortable surprises to say the least.

Unfortunately I just saw this thread or I might have saved some time (thanks guys for the bumps or I probably never would have seen it). I had the Koni/Eibach installed and got the same issues except a lot of noise in the front with little to no noise in rear. Mechanic recommended using oem shocks with eibach springs in front only. This actually felt great! Only complaint is I heard some slight barely noticeable thunks on larger dips in rear. Came back for that issue and he said I should try oem shocks all around with eibach springs.

Decided to go that route but the ride was significantly worse with only a slightly better ride than stock (Felt great on smooth roads though, perhaps it might not be bad for the track or those who drive in areas with better roads, but anything worse than minor bumps will wear on you quick). Did feel slightly better performance wise but I wouldn't want to spend the money for it brand new since it wasn't really a significant difference (Actually it may have been significantly better but I was just disappointed from losing the previous ride quality that I really didn't care so much). I liked it much better with the koni shocks in the rear on eibachs. Maybe the rear is stiffer or something but the Konis made a huge difference on the rear. So much so that I'm willing to settle with some very minor clunking on large dips. Also it seemed to work well with stock shocks on eibach springs in front. Made me want to drive faster because ride is so smooth and tires seem to be planted more all around because they aren't bouncing.

That said I've noticed a small caveat with this setup (Koni/Eibachs rear and oem shocks/Eibach springs front). Noise has been virtually eliminated except slight occasional clunk on rear on large dips especially if going a bit fast. Other issue was on bumpy highways only, ride is somewhat bumpier than usual (not bumpier than oem though or other previous setup) when traveling faster than 75ish mph...

I'm in LA so I'm not talking back road bumpy, but I think those who drive in urban cities may be able to relate. It has been annoying enough to make me slow down (ha, maybe this is a good thing), but I thought it would be worth noting. I think I should reiterate that this is my experience only on the bumpier (read bumpiest) urban highways which unfortunately I have to use on a daily basis. Driving on other highways with typical normal wear with this setup is awesome and I've found that my mileage has unfortunately been dropping by a few mpgs, but my grin has widened by a couple more inches. This setup seems to make my right foot weigh more or something...

After reading this thread though, I'm considering trying the konis all around with oem springs. I hadn't thought about it before but I suspect that this might provide the best combination (without me having to purchase other springs), except for perhaps losing the dropped look. Yes, unfortunate but for me it's not a deal breaker. I may do that next weekend and let you guys know. That said, if the dropped look were more important to me, I'd still be happy with this setup overall.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok, first let me apologize for the super long post...

I bought these from LilPartyBox (thanks man!) since I was looking for a better ride for future road trips. Went to FL from CA and back earlier this year and while stock was manageable, though fairly annoying, on the main highway most of the time because it was usually maintained well, a few side highways gave some very uncomfortable surprises to say the least.

Unfortunately I just saw this thread or I might have saved some time (thanks guys for the bumps or I probably never would have seen it). I had the Koni/Eibach installed and got the same issues except a lot of noise in the front with little to no noise in rear. Mechanic recommended using oem shocks with eibach springs in front. This actually felt great! Only complaint is I heard some slight barely noticeable thunks on larger dips in rear. Came back for that issue and he said I should try oem shocks all around with eibach springs.

Decided to go that route but the ride was significantly worse with only a slightly better ride than stock (Felt great on smooth roads though, perhaps it might not be bad for the track or those who drive in areas with better roads, but anything worse than minor bumps will wear on you quick). Did feel slightly better performance wise but I wouldn't want to spend the money for it brand new since it wasn't really a significant difference (Actually it may have been significantly better but I was just disappointed from losing the previous ride quality that I really didn't care so much). I liked it much better with the koni shocks in the rear on eibachs. Maybe the rear is stiffer or something but the Konis made a huge difference on the rear. So much so that I'm willing to settle with some very minor clunking on large dips. Also it seemed to work well with stock shocks on eibach springs in front. Made me want to drive faster because ride is so smooth and tires seem to be planted more all around because they aren't bouncing.

That said I've noticed a small caveat with this setup (Koni/Eibachs rear and oem shocks/Eibach springs front). Noise has been virtually eliminated except slight occasional clunk on rear on large dips especially if going a bit fast. Other issue was on bumpy highways only, ride is somewhat bumpier than usual (not bumpier than oem though or other previous setup) when traveling faster than 75ish mph...

I'm in LA so I'm not talking back road bumpy, but I think those who drive in urban cities may be able to relate. It has been annoying enough to make me slow down (ha, maybe this is a good thing), but I thought it would be worth noting. I think I should reiterate that this is my experience only on the bumpier (read bumpiest) urban highways which unfortunately I have to use on a daily basis. Driving on other highways with typical normal wear with this setup is awesome and I've found that my mileage has unfortunately been dropping by a few mpgs, but my grin has widened by a couple more inches. This setup seems to make my right foot weigh more or something...

After reading this thread though, I'm considering trying the konis all around with oem springs. I hadn't thought about it before but I suspect that this might provide the best combination (without me having to purchase other springs), except for perhaps losing the dropped look. Yes, unfortunate but for me it's not a deal breaker. I may do that next weekend and let you guys know. That said, if the dropped look were more important to me, I'd still be happy with this setup overall.
I'm glad your (mostly) happy with the setup. Sorry to hear you were seeing noise up front. Did your mechanic use all of the new mounting hardware i sent along? I didn't have any noise in the front. Now the rear was a different story. But I've decided this is due to the hardcore econobox life. My OEM shocks thunked from day one, the Konis did it, and now my MeisterR's do it as well. I've obsessed over the rear clunk at each stage of suspension modding from OEM to MRs and the shit won't STFU. I give up on it. I'm 1000% sure everything is tight so it's just gonna be what it is guess. If you liked the Konis in the rear, put them back on and enjoy. These cars seem to make noises back there no matter what's holding it up lol And make sure that wrench used the new mounting hardware for the front...all of it. The only used items on the front should be the strut, spring and the boot.

I don't get the clunk. My H&R setup did it, but not my Eibachs. I've had oranges on the car since 10k and I'm at 32k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'm glad your (mostly) happy with the setup. Sorry to hear you were seeing noise up front. Did your mechanic use all of the new mounting hardware i sent along? I didn't have any noise in the front. Now the rear was a different story. But I've decided this is due to the hardcore econobox life. My OEM shocks thunked from day one, the Konis did it, and now my MeisterR's do it as well. I've obsessed over the rear clunk at each stage of suspension modding from OEM to MRs and the shit won't STFU. I give up on it. I'm 1000% sure everything is tight so it's just gonna be what it is guess. If you liked the Konis in the rear, put them back on and enjoy. These cars seem to make noises back there no matter what's holding it up lol And make sure that wrench used the new mounting hardware for the front...all of it. The only used items on the front should be the strut, spring and the boot.
I did put the konis on the rear and it helps a lot. The klunk is there but minor and only on larger bumps that you could miss if you have music playing. My oem never klunked at all on the front or rear. My only complaint with the oem, though its significant for me, was the bumps and bounce.

He didn't use the extra hardware you had, though he did mention that you probably used it to compensate for the issue with one of the bolts on the koni not quite fitting properly (he showed me some extra wear on the bolt confirming this, nothing major but still noticeable, that couldn't have come just from my very short use of it). He said that was why the front made so much noise.

I think that maybe the oem spring would provide a better fit. It may also reduce or eliminate the klunk in the rear so I'm considering trying that adjustment.

But I'm loving this current setup so much that the more I drive it, the less I want to try something else. Besides I do also like the drop. We'll see...

Sent using Tapatalk

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
After using bc coils 6k/4k for about10-15k miles and koni str.t w/eibach for about 4-5k miles, other than ride height I dont know why I made the switch in the first place. The stock suspension with 16" wheels and 50 series tires is a great setup. The tires soften up the blows without sacrificing to much handling. And I drive my car in NYC. The bc coils were good but still soft even at its hardest setting, Didnt feel much hard at 30 clicks than 15 clicks. The konis were way too soft for my liking. Felt floaty in the front at high speeds. I dont know why so many that live in the burbs with nice smooth roads would want to switch. Im happy to be back with the stock suspension and Mountune springs.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
After using bc coils 6k/4k for about10-15k miles and koni str.t w/eibach for about 4-5k miles, other than ride height I dont know why I made the switch in the first place. The stock suspension with 16" wheels and 50 series tires is a great setup. The tires soften up the blows without sacrificing to much handling. And I drive my car in NYC. The bc coils were good but still soft even at its hardest setting, Didnt feel much hard at 30 clicks than 15 clicks. The konis were way too soft for my liking. Felt floaty in the front at high speeds. I dont know why so many that live in the burbs with nice smooth roads would want to switch. Im happy to be back with the stock suspension and Mountune springs.
I tried the stock suspension with eibach springs on a small road trip out. It felt great on the smoother roads outside the city with occassional dimples and soft dips. But once I got back in town it bumped and bounced way too much for my liking. I think so much so that the performance suffered.

Placing the str.t shocks in the rear and keeping the front stock with eibach springs all around made a great difference, added some performance by keeping the tires planted a bit better and significantly reduced the bounce without feeling floaty at all. I really like it for urban use. The roads here are almost all horrible (even in "nice" areas) with potholes, dips, bumps, galore...

Sent using Tapatalk

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I dont like the idea of having the rear softer than the front but to each their own.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I don't get the clunk. My H&R setup did it, but not my Eibachs. I've had oranges on the car since 10k and I'm at 32k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don't know for sure but my first guess would be perhaps the roads you frequent are smoother than mine. Maybe the thunk is our suspension bottoming out.

I only get it on the larger bumps/dips and it's slight. The h&r are a bit lower than eibach so maybe that's also why you only got it with them. I may try the stock springs and see if that takes it out for me. If my theory is correct, it should...

Sent using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I dont like the idea of having the rear softer than the front but to each their own.
Don't knock it until you try it. [emoji4]

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't have done it myself if I didn't have that noise issue. Afterall I am planning to try the stock springs hoping that it will work without having to mix shocks.

But in reality I doubt it will top what I have now and I expect that ultimately I'll probably keep the same setup. I've heard others say str.t in front is floaty. Amazingly with this combo the oem shocks don't feel bumpy in the front and it seems that most of the bounce was definitely coming from the rear.

Besides there are others who used the yellow that mentioned on other topics that they had softer settings for the rear. But I think I'm going to try it anyway just to find out for sure and if I do I'll post my findings.

Sent using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Decided to put the koni str.t with oem springs on all fours and I'm so glad I did. Klunk is now all but gone and the ride is the smoothest so far. It has a nice sport touring ride. Still sporty but it glides over the bumps, you feel them but no jarring on even the hardest bumps (sharp speed bumps not included).

The handling through turns is less, not clumsy...but less feedback. It feels floaty compared to oem but overall it's still pretty responsive.

If you are looking for performance suspension upgrades and on a budget I would suggest the eibach or h&r springs with stock shocks. Especially if the streets in your area are well maintained. I used the eibach springs with stock shocks which seemed to make the FiST hug the road through corners much better...it even accelerated a little better. I believe because the eibachs took out the bouncy rebound of oem and balance well with the stiffness of the stock strut. The ride improved significantly at taking away the jarring feel but only felt slightly different otherwise overall. It seems to give the same feedback for the most part. I liked this setup on well maintained suburban roads and highways as it also felt very smooth. But unfortunately, it was just too bouncy and overall stiff for me on the urban, pothole, dip, and dimple infested highways and byways of the inner city. The worst roads would have my car feeling like it was skipping over the road at times.

These str.t on oem springs though fit the bill nicely. Every time I drive it makes me smile how smooth it is...and the ease of replacing if/when the suspension gets old is appreciated also.

Maybe I won't need coilovers or the koni yellows afterall.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have nothing else to compare to. It is better than stock (replaced stock with str.t + eibach at ~32k), but car is bouncing like a basket ball.
With some "longer" holes / waves on a road, I feel like I am on air mattress. If I hit something like that at speed and in turn, I will not feel safe.
If/when I decide to change them, it will be yellow or some other brand. Definitely not going to install the same.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I have nothing else to compare to. It is better than stock (replaced stock with str.t + eibach at ~32k), but car is bouncing like a basket ball.
With some "longer" holes / waves on a road, I feel like I am on air mattress. If I hit something like that at speed and in turn, I will not feel safe.
If/when I decide to change them, it will be yellow or some other brand. Definitely not going to install the same.
I did the same with similar results, particularly in front. I found that the Str.T was designed for the stock springs. They worked much better when I replaced the Eibach springs with the stock...and I plan to keep this setup for a long time.

However I plan to use my car for touring primarily and I use it a lot on very bad urban roads and highways. The Str.T is great for this application as it absorbs the bangs and bumps awesomely...albeit with some loss in performance.

If you are looking for performance, I found that the Eibach springs with stock shocks was a nice improvement on stock performance that included an improvement on the ride as well. I would have been happy with that if not for the terrible roads I frequent daily...

Sent using Tapatalk

Kazz

Bumping this for updates from any Koni STR.T or Koni Yellow owners with OEM springs! Thanks!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Bumping this for updates from any Koni STR.T or Koni Yellow owners with OEM springs! Thanks!
Still using the Str.T with no complaints so far but I'm hoping to upgrade soon to the B8s.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The Str.Ts significantly reduce the harshness of the ride if you frequent terrible roads. I have said before on other threads that they reduce performance, but now in hindsight I believe it was the tires more so than the shocks. Now that I've been using stickier tires, these shocks are still quite sporty and are totally worth it if you are looking for a solution to the harshness of the oem dampers. I don't race my car so I can't give input from that perspective, but I have yet to push them to their limits with my current tires.

I am actually really enjoying them much more now that I have lighter wheels and stickier tires. After oem setup, you should be quite pleased with the performance and road manners. I'm not sure but I believe that currently there are Koni Str.Ts on the market made for Fiesta ST while before I think they were more general. So maybe these newer ones will show some better performance but honestly I'm not disappointed as they are right now and would probably keep the setup if not for wanting to lower my car and put Bilsteins on (which I suspect are better tailored to what I'm looking for).