Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Weight Reduction

codestp202

Anyone have any free/cheap weight reduction for the front end specifically? Trying to pull some weight off the nose of the car since the oil cooler, intercooler, and rad added weight up front. Already removed the NVH weights off the front shocks, engine cover, wilwood brakes, no dust shields, shaved grill, lighter downpipe, lightweight seat. Next thing would be a lightweight battery. Any other things we can pull off the front end that is not needed?

Would also like to run a CF hood eventually as that would reduce weight considerably.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Anyone have any free/cheap weight reduction for the front end specifically? Trying to pull some weight off the nose of the car since the oil cooler, intercooler, and rad added weight up front. Already removed the NVH weights off the front shocks, engine cover, wilwood brakes, no dust shields, shaved grill, lighter downpipe, lightweight seat. Next thing would be a lightweight battery. Any other things we can pull off the front end that is not needed?

Would also like to run a CF hood eventually as that would reduce weight considerably.
Free: delete windshield washer reservoir. Delete crash bar.

Not free: light weight battery.

If you look around car- you can come-up with other ideas for weight savings.

codestp202

Free: delete windshield washer reservoir. Delete crash bar.

Not free: light weight battery.

If you look around car- you can come-up with other ideas for weight savings.
I'm going to delete the engine, that should free up some weight [:D] I'm trying to remove some of that front weight so my front tires/brakes aren't working so hard.
Need the crash bar lol at least for my tow strap.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I'm going to delete the engine, that should free up some weight [:D] I'm trying to remove some of that front weight so my front tires/brakes aren't working so hard.
Need the crash bar lol at least for my tow strap.
Judging from your picture, it looks like you still have the lower grill in front of your intercooler attached. How about your hood-liner? If you have visor tint- you could remove your sun visors.

I guess it depends how serious you are. If my FiST wasn’t my daily driver, and I only had it for street & track use, I’d be taking it apart in pieces reducing any weight I could.

codestp202

Judging from your picture, it looks like you still have the lower grill in front of your intercooler attached. How about your hood-liner? If you have visor tint- you could remove your sun visors.

I guess it depends how serious you are. If my FiST wasn’t my daily driver, and I only had it for street & track use, I’d be taking it apart in pieces reducing any weight I could.
Okay I pulled both of those! Keeping the visors for now

codestp202

Hood liner & clips= 1.62 lbs
Intercooler grill= 0.42 lbs
Woop. Really my goal is to offset the weight of the oil cooler, mishi rad, and my intercooler. So I'm happy about any weight that I can lose.

From my rough calculations, the car is around 2580 lbs with a half tank of gas and if I remove the passenger seat thats an additional 40-50 lbs so mid 2500's.

I have been playing with weight reduction costs. For example, going from OEM rims to 16" OZ Ultras cost about $30/lb. But loosing unsprung lbs is more valuable than chassis lbs.

Replace OEM battery with Odessy 680 costs about $10/lb. Seibon CF hood costs about $70/lb. Both are high on chassis, so worth more than lbs low on chassis.

DHM front crash bar replacement costs about $25/lb, low on chassis but front end weight worth more than rear end weight.

48 lbs of spare tire and jack removal free, but low and at rear, so least valuable lbs.

You see how this goes. Without developing a 3D model and assigning real numbers to lbs lost vs polar moment change, its tough to place genuine value on weight reduction options.

If anyone has a short cut way to do it, I am interested in pursuing it.
Wow. You’re like an evil genius there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think the odyssey is one of the best, cheapest weight reductions. Probably going to do this next.
IF I did not have to worry about any outside all night in 0* to 10*F starts, I would have done this already. ;)

I wonder if their PC1100 could be made to work in our battery location (at least it saves 6# off the nose, and gains the advantages of a great AGM, and I already have the charger ;) ). [dunno]

codestp202

IF I did not have to worry about any outside all night in 0* to 10*F starts, I would have done this already. ;)

I wonder if their PC1100 could be made to work in our battery location (at least it saves 6# off the nose, and gains the advantages of a great AGM, and I already have the charger ;) ). [dunno]
It would surely be better than nothing!
Do we know the official weight of the stock battery + box vs the 680+whatever the lightest tie down is?

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
It would surely be better than nothing!
Do we know the official weight of the stock battery + box vs the 680+whatever the lightest tie down is?
OEM battery= 30.12 lbs

You can pick-up a Shorai 36ah LiFePo battery under $300. It weighs 5.16 lbs

OEM battery= 30.12 lbs

You can pick-up a Shorai 36ah LiFePo battery under $300. It weighs 5.16 lbs
Advisory caution against using Shorai. I tested model LFX36L3-BS12, 12Ah (actual, Shorai ads over-hypes 3x true capacity). Parasitic draw and under hood temps killed it in 15 days of short DD commutes. And that's with conversion to all LED interior curtesy and exterior marker lights.

Replaced Shorai with Odyssey PC625 (18 Ah, 13.4 lbs). Higher capacity, not quite as light, 1/3 cost, zero maintenance over 13-months.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Advisory caution against using Shorai. I tested model LFX36L3-BS12, 12Ah (actual, Shorai ads over-hypes 3x true capacity). Parasitic draw and under hood temps killed it in 15 days of short DD commutes. And that's with conversion to all LED interior curtesy and exterior marker lights.

Replaced Shorai with Odyssey PC625 (18 Ah, 13.4 lbs). Higher capacity, not quite as light, 1/3 cost, zero maintenance over 13-months.
Didn’t know they padded their claims; that’s interesting. Good call.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OEM battery= 30.12 lbs
Did you weigh yours when out of the car, because everything I looked at online claims it is 33.5 lbs. [???:)]

Odyssey claims that their PC1100 weighs in at 27.5 lbs.

I would go with one of the powerful lithium lightweights (which beat EVERYTHING in CCA and weight) but they are BIG $$$$$$$$$, and then I would still have to buy it's CO$TLY bespoke charger, whereas I already own an Odyssey charger. ;)

codestp202

Did you weigh yours when out of the car, because everything I looked at online claims it is 33.5 lbs. [???:)]

Odyssey claims that their PC1100 weighs in at 27.5 lbs.

I would go with one of the powerful lithium lightweights (which beat EVERYTHING in CCA and weight) but they are BIG $$$$$$$$$, and then I would still have to buy it's CO$TLY bespoke charger, whereas I already own an Odyssey charger. ;)
Yeah, I rarely start my car in weather colder then 50 degrees. So the 680 should do the job on the little fiesta motor