Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CP-E's xCel Ram AirBox 3" Intake System

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #21
My only problem with matching body color is defining the line of where you've gone too far. I saw a STI this weekend at C&C that had gone too far, and that worries me. I love the way my cp-e looks in the FoST and I'm not really sure it needs more, but I haven't put a ton of thought into it yet.
Oh I totally agree...some folks just aren't equipped with "edit" buttons!

I think If I were to get the Intake in RaceRed that would be more than enough under the hood...IMO any more than that would just be a distraction...

I'm sold on the product, I just need to see some installed photos before I decide on the red vs. the black option.

For $400 are people really getting this? That just seems like a lot of cash

Edit- I guess the Mountune one is the same....this is why I don't have a new intake....they are all too much money.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
For $400 are people really getting this? That just seems like a lot of cash

Edit- I guess the Mountune one is the same....this is why I don't have a new intake....they are all too much money.
It's the same price as the intake on my FoST and I will gladly pay it again. Very few parts that I've bought fit me so well in looks, design, and function. My only question is whether to order black or sit around and wait to see if they do MO in the future...

It's the same price as the intake on my FoST and I will gladly pay it again. Very few parts that I've bought fit me so well in looks, design, and function. My only question is whether to order black or sit around and wait to see if they do MO in the future...
Quick question for you, How is the turbo noise with this intake on your focus? Like I told you on the other forum, I was sold on Cobbs intake, but your picture of Cp-e intake on your focus sold me on theirs. But I am honestly only getting the intake for a little engine jewelry as you stated, and for the turbo spool noise. I miss listening to my turbo spool up. I want to make sure you are able to hear the turbo spool up nicely with this intake since it is not in a sealed box, and more open.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Quick question for you, How is the turbo noise with this intake on your focus? Like I told you on the other forum, I was sold on Cobbs intake, but your picture of Cp-e intake on your focus sold me on theirs. But I am honestly only getting the intake for a little engine jewelry as you stated, and for the turbo spool noise. I miss listening to my turbo spool up. I want to make sure you are able to hear the turbo spool up nicely with this intake since it is not in a sealed box, and more open.
You definitely hear it, and it's an impressive difference. I bought the FoST intake for the look, and after hearing it it solidified my decision to wait for the FiST setup. People that know me from other forums know that I'm brutally honest when it comes to an assessment of parts that I'm testing or have purchased, and this is one of few products that are nothing but praise from me. It completely changed the character of the FoST for the better, and the FoST wasn't 'bad' to start with.

With that being said, I don't know exactly how this will sound on the FiST, obviously. I think a lot of that is going to have to do with the OEM diverter and tubing, but I won't fully know until I have one. The FoST sounds very aggressive while my FiST with just the drop-in sounds like a little whisper. It actually made me a little embarrassed of the FiST in it's current setup. I'm honestly hoping for a similar change in sound, but until there are some audio clips I would only be speculating.

You definitely hear it, and it's an impressive difference. I bought the FoST intake for the look, and after hearing it it solidified my decision to wait for the FiST setup. People that know me from other forums know that I'm brutally honest when it comes to an assessment of parts that I'm testing or have purchased, and this is one of few products that are nothing but praise from me. It completely changed the character of the FoST for the better, and the FoST wasn't 'bad' to start with.

With that being said, I don't know exactly how this will sound on the FiST, obviously. I think a lot of that is going to have to do with the OEM diverter and tubing, but I won't fully know until I have one. The FoST sounds very aggressive while my FiST with just the drop-in sounds like a little whisper. It actually made me a little embarrassed of the FiST in it's current setup. I'm honestly hoping for a similar change in sound, but until there are some audio clips I would only be speculating.

Thanks for the VERY quick reply. Once again, you have made this intake an even clearer choice for me. I appreciate your honesty. It comes very welcome in my direction. I hope it is just like the focus. I LOVE the sound of turbo spool. My 13 dart 1.4 turbo had an Injen intake, and I used to just hit the gas souly to listen to the turbo spool up. It was wonderful. I am excited to get this intake, unfortunately I wont be able to actually order it for another 3-4 weeks. But I am looking forward to some sound clips, and even your review if you are to get one before me.

Thank you again, it is very much appreciated!

People on these forums that continually flip out over parts that are extremely well engineered for a couple hundred dollars just make me laugh. Have you ever looked at what high-end parts go for on anything else? Hell, even good parts for mass produced cars like Honda Civics are expensive. Get real.

rexdriver85

People on these forums that continually flip out over parts that are extremely well engineered for a couple hundred dollars just make me laugh. Have you ever looked at what high-end parts go for on anything else? Hell, even good parts for mass produced cars like Honda Civics are expensive. Get real.
You make a good point even if a little abrasive. I've been modifying cars since I was able to drive. You get what you pay for in quality and something that will last a long time. That's a fact.

Fortunately there seems to be plenty of high quality aftermarket for our cars already. I like that a lot.

This intake system does look tempting.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Not everybody can see $400 worth of value in an intake, and I can respect and understand that. But just like what was stated, there are cars that run significantly higher mod costs. I'm not the kind of person to say that someone has to spend lots of money modifying their car, but for me the cost is definitely worth the product. Others may not feel that way and that's ok.

Many members have whined and complained about this and the Cobb intake not being released early on, and then their first response when released is that it costs too much. Unfortunately both cost and quality have the general tendency to run hand-in-hand, so it's up to the end user to decide if it's worth it to them. You don't necessarily have to pay-to-play, but in a lot of situations you get what you pay for.

I remember when people were raving about the Injen intake. It was cheap and available and people were swearing by it-even so called 'experts' were writing glowing reviews and recommending it to everyone that would listen. No one seemed capable of posting datalogs to substantiate their claims, but they could all 'tell' it was so much better. Fast-forward a couple of months and people were building boxes to shield them from the heat, complaining about lag from a stop, or outright selling them off.

This is the type of intake that gets sold because the car got traded, not because it was a poor design.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Not everybody can see $400 worth of value in an intake, and I can respect and understand that. But just like what was stated, there are cars that run significantly higher mod costs. I'm not the kind of person to say that someone has to spend lots of money modifying their car, but for me the cost is definitely worth the product. Others may not feel that way and that's ok.

Many members have whined and complained about this and the Cobb intake not being released early on, and then their first response when released is that it costs too much. Unfortunately both cost and quality have the general tendency to run hand-in-hand, so it's up to the end user to decide if it's worth it to them. You don't necessarily have to pay-to-play, but in a lot of situations you get what you pay for.

I remember when people were raving about the Injen intake. It was cheap and available and people were swearing by it-even so called 'experts' were writing glowing reviews and recommending it to everyone that would listen. No one seemed capable of posting datalogs to substantiate their claims, but they could all 'tell' it was so much better. Fast-forward a couple of months and people were building boxes to shield them from the heat, complaining about lag from a stop, or outright selling them off.

This is the type of intake that gets sold because the car got traded, not because it was a poor design.
Exactly. Though I have no plans on getting this intake I feel that it will be worth the wait for the ones who held off. If paying the price for it isn't ones forte then there are others that are cheaper. Just remember, you get what you pay for. For the most part this will perform similar to the mountune and COBB IMHO, but if you plan on having a show car...no comparison.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It is scary how many times Dyn085 types what I am thinking in my head.

From what I can see, the intake looks pretty well thought out and made. Looks like the filter attaches to an air horn, which is an expensive part to manufacture and critical for good air flow. After co-developing the Boesch Built intake for the non-ST Fiesta, I totally get why it costs so much. Machining and fabrication are expensive when it comes to making a product. There isn't enough volume to justify the tooling required for plastic parts, so it is all made from aluminum. Start with an expensive material, add expensive labor, and cover the expense of engineering a good product.

Initial thoughts are thumbs up from me! Not sure if I am going to add it to my list of projects as I am currently ok with a slightly modded stock air box and Mountune induction tube. If things change and I am in the market, I can see looking at this one, Mountune, and Cobb.