Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CP-E's xCel Ram AirBox 3" Intake System

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #82
Can someone get us a sound clip please!!!!! :)
I can definetly hear a difference with the windows down, however, I think my exhaust note would drown out the intake sound your looking to hear when captured from a simple phone microphone in the cabin....

Perhaps CP-E ( [MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION] ) could record the sound better than I can on their shop FiST and better yet have someone capture a few drive-bys ?

rexdriver85

I can definetly hear a difference with the windows down, however, I think my exhaust note would drown out the intake sound your looking to hear when captured from a simple phone microphone in the cabin....

Perhaps CP-E ( [MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION] ) could record the sound better than I can on their shop FiST and better yet have someone capture a few drive-bys ?
Sounds like a very good idea. I am almost definitely sold on this one, let's hear it! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]

iso100

1000 Post Club
Guys, I just got back from CP-E after having this intake installed.

The ONLY VARIABLE here was installing the intake. (and temperature but charge temps stayed within a degree)

The before log is the stock airbox with K&N drop-in filter as well as a JS Performance (think Mountune) silicone intake hose.

For reference of mods it's full stage 3; check my signature.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #86

The ONLY VARIABLE here was installing the intake. (and temperature but charge temps stayed within a degree)

The before log is the stock airbox with K&N drop-in filter as well as a JS Performance (think Mountune) silicone intake hose.

wow...nice gains seen with just installing cp-e's intake alone....thanks for posting Ian!

I assume that you also have the ECU tuned to remove the torque limits?

iso100

1000 Post Club
Can someone get us a sound clip please!!!!! :)
I can assure you, it's possible to hear the BOV sound when you lift but it's not super loud.

I'll see if I can record video with my Feauxpro...

Here's a dyno video but the fans are so loud you can't hear the intake:
[video=youtube;GJxo1mfMlZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJxo1mfMlZY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Wow... I was leaning towards the 2j intake.. But looks like this will be the one when the time comes!

Any dyno runs or logs of the CP-E intake on an otherwise stock car, or maybe with just an intercooler? The other ones posted seem to be on cars with upgraded exhausts. I'm not planning to upgrade my exhaust anytime soon, and I'm wondering if you would see the same gains with a stock exhaust.

Any dyno runs or logs of the CP-E intake on an otherwise stock car, or maybe with just an intercooler? The other ones posted seem to be on cars with upgraded exhausts. I'm not planning to upgrade my exhaust anytime soon, and I'm wondering if you would see the same gains with a stock exhaust.
The stock air box isn't really the weak point to begin with

We have not tested it on an otherwise stock car. We did do pulls with the stock tune and the numbers were not as impressive but that was expected as the throttle will close with too much air.

I have the intake on my personal car but I did everything at once. So worth it.

From an engineering perspective I would not see why you would not see similar gains without the exhaust.

rexdriver85

[MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION] I see there's 2 different filter options. One dry and one oiled it seems.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each and also what would the maintenance interval be for each one?

I usually stay away from oiled filters but I'd like to hear from you before I go ahead and get the intake system.

Thanks!

[MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION] I see there's 2 different filter options. One dry and one oiled it seems.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each and also what would the maintenance interval be for each one?

I usually stay away from oiled filters but I'd like to hear from you before I go ahead and get the intake system.

Thanks!
Hey Sorry for the late reply.

We never have any problems with the oiled filters. We only sell the dryflo filters because of the K and N oiled filter scare. The oiled flows a little better. Cleaning and reoiling kits are only 20 bucks. You need to let it air dry overnight for both oiled and non-oiled. I have the oiled on my car. The maintenance schedule is an as needed basis. It stays pretty clean inside the air box.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I installed this today and I decided to share a few thoughts that might help others in deciding to buy/install this intake.

PACKAGING/QUALITY
Packaging was phenomenal, the box was nearly as big as me. Everything was well packed in foam and neatly organized. Very impressive. The quality of the parts is also outstanding. I did have a few issues - the MAP sensor screws were the wrong size but fortunately I had the correct size in my garage. Also the covering for the plexiglass piece was glued on so well, it literally took me about 20 minutes to get it removed, it came off in tiny shreds. Another issue was that the mounting screws for the bellmouth interfere with the filter; there is no way around this. Another issue was that when plugging the green vacuum connection back into the MAF tube, because of the black coating (in my case, not sure if all are like this) that thing would not go on. I had to clean off much of the black and use a tiny bit of lubricant and still it was very difficult to fully engage. And lastly they sent me the wrong filter - I ordered the dry filter, and the box it came in was labeled dry, but inside was the oiled one. I am working to fix this, Spool is contacting CP-E to get me the right one.

INSTALL
This took me 3 hours start to finish. I was taking my time and also I had a few hangups. But none of it was too bad, I didn't even cuss once. The instructions were decent but could be better, there were some details that were left out, along with some incorrectly labelled parts and misspelled words. So a little thinking is needed. Here are a few things that might help others out:

* Glory to God it is completely unnecessary to remove the wipers or cowl or headlight as the instructions say....this saves a good bit of time....you can maneuver the pipe in/out with some patience, just be careful not to scratch it.

* A trick to get the stock intake tube off the turbo - once everything is loose give it a good twist from above and it will pop right off. If you try pulling it straight up you will struggle.

* When snapping the fresh air duct back on you'll need some patience. It is extremely tight. At one point I wondered if the part I had was made for my car, but once I got it in there it fit perfectly. I had to use a flat head screwdriver to pry the parts together.

* Getting the final metal tube on is also an exercise in patience...make sure you use some silicone spray on the inside of the elbows or you will have a difficult time. It all fits together almost perfectly in the end. The black connector that attaches the PCV to the rear intake tube sat a bit cocked upon reinstallation, but there is no way around this.

* You'll need to cut the electrical tape holding the MAF sensor wires on, then reroute it so that it will reach the new CP-E pipe.

After these issues I wondered if I'd gotten a prototype version since others have commented on how perfectly this all fits. But in the end it's still a great quality product and I'm happy with the install.

IMPRESSIONS
I can finally hear the turbo! Some noise added of course but it's not obnoxious at all and really only noticeable if you gun it. I am positive that there is more scoot in my little Fiesta now because the wheel (s) breaks loose noticeably more than before I added this intake. Feels like a few HP, definitely not placebo, definitely nothing like the stage 1 reflash but still it is quicker. I'm sure my ECU will adjust in the next few days and I'll notice the improvements more.

[^]

OK that's all I have to say. Go get one, CP-E is offering them (or was last week) at 20% off which is a great price. Good job guys!