Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CP-E's xCel Ram AirBox 3" Intake System

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have a question about winter usage. Twice already this year, I have had to effectively plow the road with my car, snow flying over the windshield as I try to make it to the highway. Does anyone know if the bottom intake hangs lower than the other parts and pieces of the front end? Can I anticipate it dragging and/or plugging with snow? How hard would it be to pull the bottom pipe and plug the opening for winter if it does end up being a problem?

I have a question about winter usage. Twice already this year, I have had to effectively plow the road with my car, snow flying over the windshield as I try to make it to the highway. Does anyone know if the bottom intake hangs lower than the other parts and pieces of the front end? Can I anticipate it dragging and/or plugging with snow? How hard would it be to pull the bottom pipe and plug the opening for winter if it does end up being a problem?
This is a good question.

The scoop sits a good amount above the bumper line. It is also adjustable if you want to move it up, and it is removable if you don't want to run it.

the best part is, even if it gets plugged with snow or something, there is still another entrance for air to get into the box. Even if water gets in, it will drain and won't be picked up by the filter (unless the whole box is submerged, but then you have bigger problems).
I havent removed or had to adjust it on my car. Ive driven in snow going all the way to the upper grille (about 2' if I remember correctly) on the front bumper and it didn't get into the intake. This is nothing to worry about with this intake.

I REALLY do apologize for the delay for the 2016 version. I have had a few customers that bought other adapters and used them on the 2014-2015 intake with success (the intake is essentially the same). We have been testing different solutions for the 2016 intake adapter and we are determined to find one that works. We are trying to log as many miles as possible on the solution, as we have put over 500 miles on it before we got a CEL. This CEL doesn't pop up immediately, which is prolonging testing significantly. We are sending out a second prototype so we can test on two cars at once so that we can make this go quicker. Again, apologies for the delay.

Also, Ron at Whoosh motorsports, a good friend of ours, is doing a group buy on the intake for those interested and we will be working with him on a few custom options and will be available for 2016 cars.

jeff

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION]

Can you please direct me to any 411 on cleaning the SynoilD filter option? I'm assuming it's remove, wash with water from inside out, let dry, oil, re-install...but I want to make sure there are no special instructions. Searched your website and didn't see anything. Mine is getting filthy and needs a bath.

Thanks!

[MENTION=2728]CP-E Mitch[/MENTION]

Can you please direct me to any 411 on cleaning the SynoilD filter option? I'm assuming it's remove, wash with water from inside out, let dry, oil, re-install...but I want to make sure there are no special instructions. Searched your website and didn't see anything. Mine is getting filthy and needs a bath.

Thanks!
Of course!

Nobody knows filters like the guys at green filter. its all they do.

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/filter-care-maintenance.php

And we sell their kit on our website as well

http://cp-e.com/webstore2/product/green-filter-restore-kit/

The most important thing is to not use heat to dry it. Just let it sit for 24 hours or else it can shrink.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Who makes the dry option version of the cone filter?

IF it was ever mentioned, I must have missed it, and can it be cleaned with just some dish detergent?

I ordered one a month ago and it still hasnt shipped from cjpp. I justnordered one directly from cp-e but it hasnt shipped and they womt respond to emails.

[MENTION=7944]Thedoctor[/MENTION] , we are heavily backordered on them right now. If you don't get a response from orders@cp-e.com or support@cp-e.com then shoot me an email at mlevy@cp-e.com and ill make sure the sales department gets back to you.
[MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] , the D-flo are cleaned the same as the synoid, just not oiled afterwards.

[MENTION=7944]Thedoctor[/MENTION] , we are heavily backordered on them right now. If you don't get a response from orders@cp-e.com or support@cp-e.com then shoot me an email at mlevy@cp-e.com and ill make sure the sales department gets back to you.
[MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] , the D-flo are cleaned the same as the synoid, just not oiled afterwards.
Just recieved an email back. They said they should be shipped out by the end of this week, but they also told me that 2 weeks ago. Not trying to be a bother but im just waiting on the intake to install the DP and make an appointment for the tune.

Question regarding this intake with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth.
Would the intake work better without the bottom funnel and blocking off that hole if you have the VT Big Mouth?

LILIKE16ST

Question regarding this intake with the Velossa Tech Big Mouth.
Would the intake work better without the bottom funnel and blocking off that hole if you have the VT Big Mouth?
I am no expert by any means but in my opinion it would work fine and probably best with both snorkels working together to bring fresh air in. Seems to me the more air the better and the big mouth would work very well with this Intake and the two together is probably the best intake setup for this car....Albeit the most expensive!!! Lol. I'm thinking hard on going this route myself as I think it would see the best results but that is alot of coin to drop on an intake setup (about 550 bucks total not including the adaptor I need for my 2016). I'm thinking these two together with a stratified e30 pro tune....then done till the x37/x47 in the future at which time I'd also install depos catless dp and possibly a catback to replace my straight piped stock catback I have on the car.

I am no expert by any means but in my opinion it would work fine and probably best with both snorkels working together to bring fresh air in. Seems to me the more air the better and the big mouth would work very well with this Intake and the two together is probably the best intake setup for this car....Albeit the most expensive!!! Lol. I'm thinking hard on going this route myself as I think it would see the best results but that is alot of coin to drop on an intake setup (about 550 bucks total not including the adaptor I need for my 2016). I'm thinking these two together with a stratified e30 pro tune....then done till the x37/x47 in the future at which time I'd also install depos catless dp and possibly a catback to replace my straight piped stock catback I have on the car.
I guess CP-e's intake is the best on the market, so that lower snorkel probably gets cold air.
I was thinking that the Velossa Tech snorkel gets colder air because it gets it from the front rather than from inside the engine bay, but I shouldn't second guess CP-e's engineering as I don't know enough to refute it.

Don't forget: the Big Mouth wasn't around when CP-e developed this intake.

I, personally, would block off the bottom outlet and run with the cold air "ram" effect of the Big Mouth. Otherwise, you're just blowing the effect out the bottom.

(My theoretical thoughts, this is my favourite intake!)

jeff

2000 Post Club
Don't forget: the Big Mouth wasn't around when CP-e developed this intake.

I, personally, would block off the bottom outlet and run with the cold air "ram" effect of the Big Mouth. Otherwise, you're just blowing the effect out the bottom.

(My theoretical thoughts, this is my favourite intake!)
This is an interesting theory. I have the Big Mouth/CP-E combo and have for awhile. I wonder if air does escape out that bottom snorkel. Hmmm....my thought is NO it does not and here's why: I recently cleaned out my CP-E airbox/filter area and re-oiled my filter. There was a good bit of everything in there - dirt, bugs, wood chips, more bugs, more dirt, etc. I was surprised. Whether it's big mouth or the lower snorkel I'm not sure but something sucks a lot of everything in there. At some point I'm going to make a mesh screen to keep that stuff out of the actual airbox/filter area. Just cleaned it out, what a mess!

In any case, if the bottom were blowing stuff out then in theory the airbox would be much cleaner especially of all the bigger chunky stuff...but it's not.

I have experimented with covering the lower intake temporarily to see how it affected noise. It does lower the whooshing sounds a bit which is nice, it can get loud esp. in cold temps. I do wonder if keeping it covered would have a negative effect on airflow, or if there is already so much because of the big mouth that the lower intake is not helping.

LILIKE16ST

These are all good points but to me it seems as tho both ram air intakes are bringing in tons of air from two different directions and all that cool air is going directly into the intake. The story about the debris in the box just backs that up more. I think I am going to go with the 2jr for my 16 since another member recently had success running one on his and I now know what I need to do to make it work. This is by far the best combo to work with as far as full length intakes but I can get into the 2jr for half the price all in and probably get as good or better performance results. I know it's loud and I don't care lol. I keep changing my mind going back and forth but almost 300 is alot to save that's enough to get a short shift and a rmm. lets see....cpe intake and big mouth or 2jr intake with all pieces needed to work with a 16 and up, a new upgraded rmm and a mountune short shift....I think I"ll take the ladder although the first isn't a bad choice either!

You guys bring up a good point on the bottom snorkel. At the very least, I dont think its hurting anything. The air from the front of the car is going to be pretty high pressure and its going pressurize the box a little bit (which is good, as it increases turbo efficiency as it has to do less work on the air). This is going to be your main source of air when your moving. When the car is stopped, the bottom snorkel is going to kick in as it gets the cool non engine bay bay air from underneath. All theoretical though.

Im running the VT snorkel with my CP-E intake and love it. Intake air temps dropped and now sit at 2 above ambient.

I was wondering if the intake for the 16 had been finished or if it is still just ordering with the adapter?

LILIKE16ST

If you get it from whoosh does it come with the whoosh adaptor or did cpe develope their own adaptor? I'm thinking of going with this intake for my 2016 and I was just curious

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
If you get it from whoosh does it come with the whoosh adaptor or did cpe develope their own adaptor? I'm thinking of going with this intake for my 2016 and I was just curious
cp-e uses an adapter that resembles my adapter so to answer your question you can get the cp-e adapter or my adapter which will basically work the same since the design is the same
take a look at the picture of the 2016-2017 cp-e intake, you'll see the evap kit pictured. It has 2 components like my kit. Same deal.

soooooo

if you order the cp-e 2016-2017 intake it comes with the cp-e evap adapter

or you can buy the 2014-2015 cp-e intake or any intake and buy the whoosh adapter for your 2016 and newer Fiesta ST.....that's how it works basically

hope this helps