Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CP-E's xCel Ram AirBox 3" Intake System

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Update (4/13/2015) - Released and Available for Order:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/cp-e-col...flow-filter-fiesta-st-2014-2015/p/CPECAK2D-V/

http://cp-e.com/webstore/product/ford-fiesta-st-xcel-intake-intake-system/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxkct_BwQ8

[video=youtube;dlxkct_BwQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlxkct_BwQ8[/video]

CP-E intake installed 8a.jpg

Battery Tie Down.jpg

cp-e intake race red.jpg

View attachment 4536

CPE satin black.jpg

"The Fiesta ST is a well-rounded vehicle in just about every aspect, and the intake system is too. The stock intake system is designed well, and the community sees that. Still cp-e felt that they could take the good & the bad from the stock system, and make it even better. After a long engineering process, cp-e is proud to release the Ford Fiesta ST xCel Ram Air Box Intake for the Fiesta ST."

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

- CNC formed Laser Cut AirBox
- AirBox made from Stainless Steel (Great Thermal Insulator)
- Full 3" Mandrel Bent Aluminum Tube
- Billet aluminum CNC machined Bellmouth Velocity Stack
- Widemouth Air Filter in DflowTM or SynOil?
- Laser cut Brackets and Bungs in OEM locations
- Available in Satin Black or Race Red
- Ram Air snorkel for additional airflow.
- Abrasion resistant & laser cut Plexiglass for easy filter maintenance/viewing
- CNC lathed feet on box for mounting
- Laser cut and CNC bent bracket provided to relocate the hood prop mounting
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Lifetime Warranty

Available powder coated in Satin Black, Ford Race Red the Xcel Ram Air Box Intake offers the most well thought out solution to getting air to your turbo yet. The Xcel Intake comes with a full 3.00" mandrel bent tube. Welded onto the tube are a CNC-lathed port for the PCV system and a CNC laser cut and former bracket. In addition there is also a mass air sensor adaptor welded to the tube that allows you to bolt the stock mass air sensor in place. This adaptor is CNC milled from billet aluminum and contoured to fit the tube perfectly.

The intake tube then attaches to the air box through a 5-ply silicone elbow and a CNC-Milled aluminum bellmouth. This velocity stack bellmouth smoothly compresses the air from 4.00" to 3.00" providing a minimal amount of energy loss which translates to a higher air speed through the tube. The included 6.00" dia air filter is specially designed by cp-e to give the most free flowing air flow possible, with your choice between Dflow or SynOil filter.

4inFilter.jpg

Part of what makes the stock intake system well-rounded is the great design of the stock box. It brings in cool air efficiently, and isolates the filter from the hot air in the engine bay. Where the stock box lacks is where the cp-e Xcel shines above all. The Xcel box is laser cut and CNC-bent 18 gauge stainless steel. Stainless steel is great for this application for not only its resistance to corrosion, but also its thermal properties allow the interior of the box to stay cool, even when the box itself heats up. The box utilizes the stock fresh air duct, and also sucks up cool fresh air from the bottom mounted snorkel tube. The box is topped off by clear plexi glass to seal the filter from the heat, providing a sweet view and easy access to the filter. Not only is it laser cut for perfect fitment, but also abrasion resistant. Lastly, the box easily mounts in the stock location with the laser cut brackets and CNC-lathed mounting feet.

[HR][/HR]

Some Development Details and Fun Facts Released During CP-E's 10 Day Count Down....

Development and final fitment of CP-E's new ?Intake System has been completed and now Custom Performance Engineering has begun a 10 day count down on Facebook until the release of their new ?Intake System for the Fiesta ST beginning by showing in each of the coming days ahead more pictures and details....

[HR][/HR]
Day 9 - Air Filter Box Assembly Begins...

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152734593738314/?type=1&theater

View attachment 4610

[HR][/HR]

Day 8 - Long Pipe Section (Shown Unpainted)

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152736817353314/?type=1&theater

View attachment 4609

[HR][/HR]

Day 7 - Lower Air Box Snorkle Tube

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152739803358314/?type=1&theater

"The Fiesta ST Intake is made up of 3 aluminum pipes and a Stainless Steel Box. This includes a snorkle that helps bring up cooler air from below the airbox."

View attachment 4603

[HR][/HR]

Day 6 - Short Pipe Section

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...1428295259./10152742050013314/?type=3&theater

"The full intake assembly weighs 10.372 lbs"

View attachment 4602

[HR][/HR]

Day 5 - Comes in 2 Powdercoat Colors

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152744674853314/?type=1&theater

"cp-e will offer the Intake in 2 colors. Special edition colors may be possible in the future"

CPE 5.jpg

[HR][/HR]

Day 4 - Comes in 2 Powdercoat Colors (RaceRed Shown)

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152747033923314/?type=1&theater

"cp-e will offer the Intake in 2 colors. Special edition colors may be possible in the future"

View attachment 4635
[HR][/HR]
Day 3 - Race Red and Satin Black Intake Air Boxes

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152749245908314/?type=1&theater

"We can fit 16 intake boxes in the powder coating oven at one time"

View attachment 4640
[HR][/HR]

Day 2 - Satin Black Airbox, 3" Intake Pipe, and Lower Snorkel

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152751545443314/?type=1&theater

View attachment 4652
[HR][/HR]

Day 1 - CP-E's Xcel Intake System for Fiesta ST

https://www.facebook.com/gocpe/phot...70007143313/10152759513838314/?type=1&theater

Day 1.jpg

they would post this information the same week i pulled the trigger on another intake....guess i'll just have to be happy the one i went with will no doubt have been way cheaper

me32

1000 Post Club
Nice to see another intake added for the ST. I wonder what the performance gains are.

Etyrnus

Interesting, are they utilizing the stock snorkel location as part of their set up? Curious....

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #7
Interesting, are they utilizing the stock snorkel location as part of their set up? Curious....
Yes...as well as a lower ram air snorkel that projects down from the bottom of the air filter box...it will be much clearer in days ahead when more pics are released...

cp-e 2nd snorkel.jpg

cp-e-intake snorkel locations.jpg

iso100

1000 Post Club
The low second snorkel is a great idea. I just wish they made the box out of ABS instead of steel. It's going to be a bit of a heat soak magnet.

I'm going to make a similar snorkel for my factory airbox.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #9
The low second snorkel is a great idea. I just wish they made the box out of ABS instead of steel. It's going to be a bit of a heat soak magnet.
I agree if the air was left stagnant in the box and allowed to heat up...The 18 gauge thick stainless steel walls should provide enough of a barrier and help keep the interior of the box cool since fresh air is always flowing through the box...But taking it a step further I think applying gold reflective foil on the outer 4 sides of the box wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Finally an intake which might make me switch from the already good stock system! Excited for this one.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What I don't understand is how air drawn from under the hood and not from outside the engine compartment can be of any benefit.
How the explanation of a velocity effect or more air holes on a turbo intake where the turbo is like a vacuum pump and will only take in what the impeller will allow in.
And as others have said, the use of metal components that will only retain heat.

However choices are good and it does look nice.

Dave

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #13
What I don't understand is how air drawn from under the hood and not from outside the engine compartment can be of any benefit.
How the explanation of a velocity effect or more air holes on a turbo intake where the turbo is like a vacuum pump and will only take in what the impeller will allow in.
And as others have said, the use of metal components that will only retain heat.

Dave
It is nice show quality intake system...

It appears as if Cp-e's air box still uses the stock snorkel (which draws air from outside the engine compartment) in addition to a secondary snorkel that extends well below the airbox...Its hard to see from all the teaser pics...I think their airbox design and approach is very similar to that of mountunes...I do like the filter element they use along with the velocity stack...

dyn085

2000 Post Club

Dave
Realistically speaking, the underhood air won't have much of an effect on an intercooled engine. The only thing that would be noticed or could get worse would be intercooler heat-soak at idle (stoplights, etc), but it won't be nearly as bad or noticeable as an open-element intake/SRI-and you see how many people have bought those. I have the cp-e intake on my FoST and there is no noticeable negative change on how it drives whatsoever.

I've yet to see datalogs from a member to substantiate any power increase from an intake, so for me it's strictly engine jewelry. My car has been stage 3 for months on the OEM intake because this was quite literally the only one I wanted and was willing to buy.

As for metal being a heat-sink, you can always wrap it if you're concerned. Realistically, the boundary layer between the moving air and the metal will help keep the majority of the heat on the outside. And again, the few degrees of added temperature are going to be raised well over a hundred degrees as it gets compressed by the turbo and then reduced at the intercooler. My FoST CAT only rises 5 degrees on a third-gear pull, which is three degrees less than my FiST, and that's despite the fact that the CAT was significantly higher OEM vs OEM-and that's with the cp-e intake installed.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #15
Realistically speaking, the underhood air won't have much of an effect on an intercooled engine. The only thing that would be noticed or could get worse would be intercooler heat-soak at idle (stoplights, etc), but it won't be nearly as bad or noticeable as an open-element intake/SRI-and you see how many people have bought those. I have the cp-e intake on my FoST and there is no noticeable negative change on how it drives whatsoever.

I've yet to see datalogs from a member to substantiate any power increase from an intake, so for me it's strictly engine jewelry. My car has been stage 3 for months on the OEM intake because this was quite literally the only one I wanted and was willing to buy.

As for metal being a heat-sink, you can always wrap it if you're concerned. Realistically, the boundary layer between the moving air and the metal will help keep the majority of the heat on the outside. And again, the few degrees of added temperature are going to be raised well over a hundred degrees as it gets compressed by the turbo and then reduced at the intercooler. My FoST CAT only rises 5 degrees on a third-gear pull, which is three degrees less than my FiST, and that's despite the fact that the CAT was significantly higher OEM vs OEM-and that's with the cp-e intake installed.
Agreed...

I see you have a CP-E installed on your FoST...how's the build quality?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I saw you had a CP-E installed on your FoST...how's the build quality?
It's really good, I have absolutely zero complaints. Everything fit exactly where it should, it's basically the only intake you can 'customize' (color, filter options), and it looks perfect. The color even matched better than the hood struts that I had ordered from another company that was 'color matched'.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #17
It's really good, I have absolutely zero complaints. Everything fit exactly where it should, it's basically the only intake you can 'customize' (color, filter options), and it looks perfect. The color even matched better than the hood struts that I had ordered from another company that was 'color matched'.
thanks!

I believe there are only 2 color options that will initially be released - RaceRace and Satin Black...CP-E mentions the possibility of eventually offering custom color options for the FiST as well....

dyn085

2000 Post Club
thanks!

I believe the 2 color options to be initially released will be RaceRace and Satin Black...CP-E mentions the possibility of offering custom color options for the FiST as well....
I was hoping for MO initially, but at the same time I've been thinking of keeping my engine bay black. Idk, I'm incredibly indecisive until about two months after I purchase something.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #19
I was hoping for MO initially, but at the same time I've been thinking of keeping my engine bay black. Idk, I'm incredibly indecisive until about two months after I purchase something.
Funny you mention that as I'm on the fence myself with either keeping it all black or matching to the RaceRed body paint...I must admit though my thinking is that if your going to install this as engine jewelry then matching to the body color does looks pretty amazing...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Funny you mention that as I'm on the fence myself with either keeping it all black or matching to the RaceRed body paint...I must admit though my thinking is that if your going to install this as engine jewelry then matching to the body color does looks pretty amazing...
My only problem with matching body color is defining the line of where you've gone too far. I saw a STI this weekend at C&C that had gone too far, and that worries me. I love the way my cp-e looks in the FoST and I'm not really sure it needs more, but I haven't put a ton of thought into it yet.