Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

dear gearbox, please stop clunking

Just got the 2015 Fiesta ST last week(700 miles) and i am loving it. however, about two days ago, i started to notice a clunking noise EVERY TIME i shift in to 1st, 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.

its a mechanical sound, the noise sounded a lot like when you put your gear in reverse (that clunk noise), or that clunk noise when you your home DVD tray closes, or that noise when transformers transform... as you can see i am not very good at describing things, here are few links on this forum that describe the exact same issue
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2816-The-noises-on-this-car-are-killing-me-video-of-gearbox-clunk
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/876-Transmission-Noise

just went to three dealers
the first one told me on the phone yesterday to come in today to try to get my trans fix. however, when i get there today, they said they will not be able to give me an appointment within 10 days

the second one said they will not be able to give me an appointment within 7 days

the third one was gonna tell me the same thing but the service manager said he was on his lunch break so he will go for a ride with me to look at my issue.

went out for a ride. i told him the noise might be the dual mass flywheel, but he told me it is not, the reason he said that is because he pressed down the clutch the entire time while shifting back and forth into 1st and 2nd and the noise is still there. he said when the clutch is pressed down the engine and trans is not connected anymore so any noise coming from the trans is pretty much just its operating noise.

when we get back to the dealer he said he deff heard it and he will look online to see if they have any bolt ons (asked him what bolt on is, he said its alot like factory recall but its not), he said there are not any, and he said that should be a normal noise since there is no grinding and i should not be concerned.
i then told him when i got the car, it never make noises like that and the honest truth that i have been driving the car very gently (i used to have a 2002 wrx and it was all moded , and i drove it like i stole it, until it was actually stolen and set on fire)

he said he is not trying to blow me off because if they fix my trans, it doesnt matter if ford pays them or if i pay them. either way they are getting paid. i told him i can show him that other people have the same issue on this forum but he said he cant tell ford to give them money just because i saw it on the forum and in the thickest New Jersey accent he said no offense.

i then asked if they can just drive their fiesta st and compare to mine, he said fiesta st dont sell thus they dont have any in their dealership so they cant compare

he also suggested me to go back to my dealer, however, i got the car from Virginia and i live in northern new jersey and there is no way i am driving down there just to have them said no to me and how everything is normal.

now i dont what to do. and what dealer i should make appointment with because no one really have these cars here and they dont know what NORMAL is. and i work 7 days a week so i dont have the time to make multiple appointments and take off from work multiple times and that is just to have my car looked at.......

if anyone can point me to the right direction or dealer please let me know and i thank you in advance (i live in clifton NJ)

OP
H
Thread Starter #3
mine is 2015 and it has that clunking noise since day 1
what does your dealer say or you just pay no mind to it?
i will be ok if mine had that clunking noise since day one but mine did not until now

Sorry to hear this. I'm at 2,400 miles and haven't had this clunking issue (knock on wood). Keep us updated please

caliboy15

what does your dealer say or you just pay no mind to it?
i will be ok if mine had that clunking noise since day one but mine did not until now
nothing, I feel like it is normal.

when I go for my 1st oil change on Monday I will let them know about the issue

Boro

I will say that my gearbox made sounds too, 150 ish miles and less it was silent, then it quickly began making clunk noises, especially going from 1-2 at about 6 mph. I swear people could hear my shifts clunking, like they'd look over at me as I drove by (Could be imagining this up though out of concern).

However, by 4220 miles, it has settled down a fair bit. It only clunks every once in a while and if it does it's much less audible in the cabin. Interested to hear how yours goes, and hopefully mine doesn't come back...

I've had that clunking noise since day 1 of my car. I have the 2014. I thought it was part of the normal operation of the vehicle. Every time I change gears I can hear it clunking about. I can only really hear it when I'm light on the throttle because at higher speeds the noises of the car overpower the clunking. I personally like the noise. It means that my car is doing stuff. And it makes it sound MANLY! *punches shark in the face*

JAD

Mine used to have loud clunking sound until I did two things:
1. Changed gear oil.
2. Installed Boomba shifter plate.

Now, it clunks sometimes, bur definitely not as loud as before

MOFiST

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Just got the 2015 Fiesta ST last week(700 miles) and i am loving it. however, about two days ago, i started to notice a clunking noise EVERY TIME i shift in to 1st, 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd.

its a mechanical sound, the noise sounded a lot like when you put your gear in reverse (that clunk noise), or that clunk noise when you your home DVD tray closes, or that noise when transformers transform... as you can see i am not very good at describing things, here are few links on this forum that describe the exact same issue
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2816-The-noises-on-this-car-are-killing-me-video-of-gearbox-clunk
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/876-Transmission-Noise

just went to three dealers
the first one told me on the phone yesterday to come in today to try to get my trans fix. however, when i get there today, they said they will not be able to give me an appointment within 10 days

the second one said they will not be able to give me an appointment within 7 days

the third one was gonna tell me the same thing but the service manager said he was on his lunch break so he will go for a ride with me to look at my issue.

went out for a ride. i told him the noise might be the dual mass flywheel, but he told me it is not, the reason he said that is because he pressed down the clutch the entire time while shifting back and forth into 1st and 2nd and the noise is still there. he said when the clutch is pressed down the engine and trans is not connected anymore so any noise coming from the trans is pretty much just its operating noise.

when we get back to the dealer he said he deff heard it and he will look online to see if they have any bolt ons (asked him what bolt on is, he said its alot like factory recall but its not), he said there are not any, and he said that should be a normal noise since there is no grinding and i should not be concerned.
i then told him when i got the car, it never make noises like that and the honest truth that i have been driving the car very gently (i used to have a 2002 wrx and it was all moded , and i drove it like i stole it, until it was actually stolen and set on fire)

he said he is not trying to blow me off because if they fix my trans, it doesnt matter if ford pays them or if i pay them. either way they are getting paid. i told him i can show him that other people have the same issue on this forum but he said he cant tell ford to give them money just because i saw it on the forum and in the thickest New Jersey accent he said no offense.

i then asked if they can just drive their fiesta st and compare to mine, he said fiesta st dont sell thus they dont have any in their dealership so they cant compare

he also suggested me to go back to my dealer, however, i got the car from Virginia and i live in northern new jersey and there is no way i am driving down there just to have them said no to me and how everything is normal.

now i dont what to do. and what dealer i should make appointment with because no one really have these cars here and they dont know what NORMAL is. and i work 7 days a week so i dont have the time to make multiple appointments and take off from work multiple times and that is just to have my car looked at.......

if anyone can point me to the right direction or dealer please let me know and i thank you in advance (i live in clifton NJ)
are you guys sure you aren't talking about the harsh clunky shifting caused by the overly soft rear roll resistor (aka the rear motor mount/rmm)??

[video=youtube;QVsWbRwydoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVsWbRwydoI[/video]

here is a video i made. check it out and let me know if what i am describing sounds like what you're experiencing

OP
H
Thread Starter #13
New update

since i already took off work, was sitting at home annoyed after getting super rejected by the dealers, i thought why not go get an oil change (my whole family is kind of crazy about changing the oil before 1000mi when we get new cars). since i did not buy the oil and oil filter online, i just went to the valvoline instant oil change shop around the corner.

they scanned my car code and told me to wait outside, 45 mins later they told me they cant change 2015 fiesta st oil and oil filter because they still dont have the spec of the car on their national system and they dont want to be reliable for breaking the car...

i actually had some motul 300 and Red Line LightWeight ShockProof oil in my trunk from my wrx days so i asked if they can change the trans oil for me then, they said they do not change manual trans oil, one of the guy who worked there gave me his uncle's business card on the down low and told me to go see him since he is private (like come the fck on, its an oil change)
went to the guy's uncle, pretty nice guy, he told me he will not change the oil for me because since i already have the trans problem, if ford tested my oil and see something is different, they will void my warranty and i will be in "very very bad trouble" they recommend me to just ride it out until it breaks and go to the dealer.

which kind of sucks cause i already bought the AP, cobb rmm, boomba shifter plate.

from what you guys are saying, if i putt cobb rmm in, it will fix the problem (i dont really see how, since i am going at like 7 mph and the sound is coming from the trans and i am not banging thru the gears at high speed, also if i bring it to the dealer, they will void my warranty because of the cobb rmm)

same thing goes with the shifter plate and the oil. both void the warranty (not too sure about the oil tho).

if i have no problem with the trans then i will deff install all this stuff and take it out when i go to the dealer, however i already have this clunking noise develop from the trans so if the trans goes bad and i have all this thing on, i will deff have to pay the trans on my own dime, this really sucks, i really want that extra 1000whp from these mods...

also i contacted meagan from ford service on this forum a day or two ago, still havent heard anything tho...

somebody, please show me the way

OP
H
Thread Starter #14
are you guys sure you aren't talking about the harsh clunky shifting caused by the overly soft rear roll resistor (aka the rear motor mount/rmm)??

[video=youtube;QVsWbRwydoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVsWbRwydoI[/video]

here is a video i made. check it out and let me know if what i am describing sounds like what you're experiencing
big fan btw, saw your vids on youtube and decided to get the car

Chris G

Dude, just go enjoy the car. That is the best advise you'll get from any of us. My transmission is noisy and yes sometimes worries me but in the long run it won't really matter. If I have issues then I'll have issues - no sense in feeling awful about it every day and having it ruin your experience of having a brand new car.

There are guys here with funky noises that got a new transmission and the new one did the same thing as the old one. There are also guys on here with a decent amount of miles that have a loud transmission without any long term issues. It all just really depends on how picky you are..

Honestly though, just go have fun and turn up the music.

From what I've discerned, mods only have an adverse affect on warranty for the particular part that has been switched (as well as any possibly related parts to said mod). I think for the most part these cars have been built quite well. As forum members, we tend to be more fastidious than the average car buyer so these problems tend to dig at us more than it would others.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have the same clunk. But hasnt seem to affacted anything.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Mine has made the same noise as you describe for the 17k+ miles of its life. I am willing to bet that I could replicate the same sound in anyone's 14-15 FiST. If you open the hood and reach down to where the linkage connects to the lever on the trans and move it back and forth, you can hear something similar to what your hearing in the car. I personally think the sound is normal and is caused by the lever mechanism that the linkage connects to. There seems to be a little of built in play there and when your moving the lever mechanism back and forth...there is a threshold at about half way that continues the forward or backward motion.
https://vimeo.com/124221263

My transmission makes noises sometimes. It shifts rough since 10K miles. I changed oil (Mutol), added bushings and shifter plate, none of it fixed the problem. I got over it. My mom has a manual Mini, it makes clunks and noises wayyy worse than my car. The transmissions are made by the same company (Getrag).