Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

From what I have read porting the head isn’t really necessary for forced induction engines. Naturally aspirated engines see more benefit from pp heads.

I’m running the same kit Chris had on the world record 1/4 pass. He’s taking the FiST to a new level. I’m stuck till I get the 2j intake, have a major bottleneck going on. Hoping for some big power once it comes in and I can hook up the four port. E50 was at 425 whp on the previous set up.

Anyone have any opinions on the mountune forged short block? How much power can that take?

I’m running the same kit Chris had on the world record 1/4 pass. He’s taking the FiST to a new level. I’m stuck till I get the 2j intake, have a major bottleneck going on. Hoping for some big power once it comes in and I can hook up the four port. E50 was at 425 whp on the previous set up.

Anyone have any opinions on the mountune forged short block? How much power can that take?
I’m hoping for 330 on ethanolEdit: it says it can take up to 400 but they are obviously covering their ass with that very conservative recommendation

Hijinx,

How many pounds of boost were you running before and how many are you planning to run in the future?

Garrett says the 2867r gen II can support up to 550 hp. Not sure if that’s wheel or brake. Saw something online about it flowing 49 lbs/min.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Hijinx,

How many pounds of boost were you running before and how many are you planning to run in the future?

Garrett says the 2867r gen II can support up to 550 hp. Not sure if that’s wheel or brake. Saw something online about it flowing 49 lbs/min.
I ran 33-34 psi for 425whp. I haven’t decided to go over 450whp so, that’s about where it’ll stay. Panda has a dyno in-shop now, so we’ll see what happens.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So anyone not too stubborn to discuss using 87 with e85 50/50? The long story short is that there is a tuner now offering e50 tunes but everyone still says to use premium still. I say that on a stock turbo FiST, it's so easy to hit max mean torque that it's literally a waste of money not to simply use half e85 and half 87. This results in an octane of 96 at a 47.5% ethanol percentage. I've already proven that I can simply run 4 gallons of e85 with the rest 87 for a 93.8 octane e34 blend and I get the same perfect numbers as if I used the 3 gallons of e85 and the rest 91/93 anyway. I think that a LOT of people don't realize it's the cooling effect of the ethanol that provides half the ability to tune so aggressively over just the actual fuel octane. So how in the heck is it not super safe to just run 50/50 e85 and 87 with so much overhead?

Some 87 gasoline don’t have the same detergent blends as 91/93 so it isn’t just about saving pennies 👌 Edited to add 91

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Shell, Exxon, BP for example all put more additives in the premium fuel. I'm still not the biggest fan of ethanol especially after having to take apart carburetors on lawn equipment because of it. I have read the owner's manuals on flex fuel vehicles, and it says if you run e85 follow the severe operations maintenance schedule. I don't care if y'all put cat piss in your gas tank your car your choice.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Some 87 gasoline don’t have the same detergent blends as 91/93 so it isn’t just about saving pennies 👌 Edited to add 91
LOL, was waiting for that, but with so much ethanol that in itself is a cleaner, it doesn't matter, but yes, you should always use Top Tier even for the 87 if you have that concern.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
California and Oregon do not get 93 we are stuck with 91
No in Oregon and Washington it's labelled 92 but is actually more like 93+. Over 4 cars of tuning now I've never had a problem running 93 tunes on NW gas. In fact I get vastly superior numbers doing that then running a 91 tune on Cali 91 gas, not even close! :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I edited my post. 91 would be considered premium though correct? 👁👁
Yeah, in Cali and the SW it's 91 but BARELY, it's truly quite shitty and barely meets specs for cars where 91+ is required, I got quite a lot of negative corrections even running Top Tier 91 on a 91 tune while in Cali... but up here in the NW, our gas is labelled 92 but is clearly actually 93, I've proven it over 4 cars worth of 93 tunes on them, they just don't the overhead for additional tuning like places that are labelled 93 and is closer to 94, confirmed with national custom tuners. My theory on this is that those refineries that were labelling it the same octane before the e10 mandate decided it was cheaper and easier to not bother changing the formula, added the ethanol as required and this actually raised the total octane without re-rating it higher. Remember, they use the catch word "minimum" too on the octane rating! :)