Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Running FiST with E85 Blends - Discussion Thread

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey guys,

This isn't relevant to the e85 blend discussion itself, but I know there are some reading this thread who might not have e85 available, or want an alternative, so I hope to be helpful by steering you to consider another option which I have become very happy with:

Race-Gas concentrate review thread

LILIKE16ST

I have a question for those running ethanol tunes. The only e85 I can find within a reasonable distance is probably 35-40 miles from me and I was thinking of storing some in jugs to avoid making the trip super often. I know alot of people including myself who only use top tier like ExxonMobil and shell and stuff and for good reason but the e85 is at a sheetz which is NOT a top tier. Is that a big deal getting e85 from a non top tier or is it not really relavant. I would fill it in jugs and mix it with shell v power 93 which is all I run now on my 93 tune. I was jw if this mattered. Thanks in advance.

jeff

2000 Post Club
I have a question for those running ethanol tunes. The only e85 I can find within a reasonable distance is probably 35-40 miles from me and I was thinking of storing some in jugs to avoid making the trip super often. I know alot of people including myself who only use top tier like ExxonMobil and shell and stuff and for good reason but the e85 is at a sheetz which is NOT a top tier. Is that a big deal getting e85 from a non top tier or is it not really relavant. I would fill it in jugs and mix it with shell v power 93 which is all I run now on my 93 tune. I was jw if this mattered. Thanks in advance.
Be careful. I considered the same until I discovered that e85 gas only has a 90 day shelf life. See my thread on RG concentrate for a decent alternative.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't think that those types of gas cans are even made anymore.....stupid enviro spouts took over due to the tree huggers and man bear pig...i try to snag the old metal gas cans from garage sales....best things to use for gas....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

It's all about phase separation and any alcohols propensity to absorb moisture. In this case ethanol.

Good read here:

http://fuel-testers.com/expiration_of_ethanol_gas.html
I mean I plan to fill up E85 in this container at a station that's out of my way (but the only one that has Ethanol). So next time I fill up at my local gas station, I'll bring my gas can and fill in my 3gal of Ethanol and pump gas there. I go through a tank every 2 weeks... so if ethanol can be safe for storage for 90 days in one of these gas containers... I'm super stoked.

I don't think that those types of gas cans are even made anymore.....stupid enviro spouts took over due to the tree huggers and man bear pig...i try to snag the old metal gas cans from garage sales....best things to use for gas....

The exact one in the picture can be found at Home Depot.

edit: Oh, Home Depot in Canada.... Seems like the ones in USA have different spouts. What's the difference between the spouts?

LILIKE16ST

I mean I plan to fill up E85 in this container at a station that's out of my way (but the only one that has Ethanol). So next time I fill up at my local gas station, I'll bring my gas can and fill in my 3gal of Ethanol and pump gas there. I go through a tank every 2 weeks... so if ethanol can be safe for storage for 90 days in one of these gas containers... I'm super stoked.

The exact one in the picture can be found at Home Depot.

edit: Oh, Home Depot in Canada.... Seems like the ones in USA have different spouts. What's the difference between the spouts?
That was my plan too I was planning getting about maybe 20 gallons at a time (4 diff 5 gallon jugs or whatever) and at the rate I use gas that would last me 1.5-2 months tops Def would not get to 90 days.

I guess the container doesn't matter all that much does it unless you plan long term storage or is this a correct way of thinking

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah canada....the is 'merica we talk in bout dawg....

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
We have stupid ass spouts thanks to some stupid ass tree hugger eco bullshit laws. Google it. I can't because it'll make me angry.

:D

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

Man talk like this is what is making me really wanna get an e30 tune. Around tax time that is exactly what I am going to do...I beleive I am going to go stratified since dhm is no longer (that was my previous plan).

jeff

2000 Post Club
Late reply but ethanol turns this car into a whole other beast
That's for sure. It's crazy how hard car pulls down low on e30 tune. Was hard for me to go back to stock.
Man talk like this is what is making me really wanna get an e30 tune. Around tax time that is exactly what I am going to do...I beleive I am going to go stratified since dhm is no longer (that was my previous plan).
My Race-Gas concentrate tune is comparable to e30. I talked with Adam my tuner about this, he said that they basically achieve about the same tune and power results in terms of adding timing. Each has its own positives and negatives. I'm on RG since e30 isn't available near me, but the results are very similar.

With that out of the way it's true, going back to a non-e30/RG/meth tune to regular pump gas is hard for sure!!! The added power from these options is addictive and you miss it when on a pump gas tune.

More info on RG concentrate here for anyone who can't get e30.

AzNightmare

It must have been a different E30 thread that I mentioned this (there's a lot of them), but I honestly have to say I haven't noticed a significant difference on E30.
I ran my datalog on vdyno and sure enough, I was making an extra 30tq and 20hp. So on paper, there should be no reason why I can't feel this gain.

Maybe it's the fact I do 98% city driving and there's really no where to go WOT all day.

What I did notice the most is that my mileage went from 240mi/tank on 93, and now it's 200mi/tank on E30. LOL...

I'm about to go back to 93 since it's winter and snow tires are going back on tomorrow. Maybe I just got used of E30 very quickly, but I'll see if going back to 93 completely suck.

LILIKE16ST

It must have been a different E30 thread that I mentioned this (there's a lot of them), but I honestly have to say I haven't noticed a significant difference on E30.
I ran my datalog on vdyno and sure enough, I was making an extra 30tq and 20hp. So on paper, there should be no reason why I can't feel this gain.

Maybe it's the fact I do 98% city driving and there's really no where to go WOT all day.

What I did notice the most is that my mileage went from 240mi/tank on 93, and now it's 200mi/tank on E30. LOL...

I'm about to go back to 93 since it's winter and snow tires are going back on tomorrow. Maybe I just got used of E30 very quickly, but I'll see if going back to 93 completely suck.

based on what you're telling us I believe it's entirely likely that you will notice more of a difference in the loss of power than you did the GAIN of power once you go back to 93 for the winter. I had a similar experience with my pro race 15s where i saved about 6 lbs or so per corner over stock which should easily be felt. Don't get me wrong I felt it the car felt a lot better and more nimble but it wasn't until I went back to stock wheels last winter that I really noticed a big difference. The car and wheels felt heavier as a whole and noticeably less nimble compared to my 15 inch setup. It makes me dread going back to them for winter here soon lol. Luckily we have had 70 degree weather here in va lately and it's prolonged my need to go back to stock wheels and all season tires. I'm going to hold out as long as I can because I like the way the car looks and feels with the pro race setup lol.

If you aren't driving in a way that would use more power then you won't notice it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not sure if it helps but this PDF https://www.afdc.energy.gov/uploads/publication/ethanol_handbook.pdf tells you the type of classes your state receives (It starts on page 35).

Class 1 = minimum 79% ethanol
Class 2 = minimum 74% ethanol
Class 3 = minimum 70% ethanol
Class 4 = minimum 59% ethanol

It does get quite annoying to use the ethanol tester and wait at the pump every fill up. So I guess we should test the e85 pumps on the months where your state changes class based on the PDF chart. So, if I decide to go back to 93 gas, I should switch back to the 93 map and not stay on the e30 map since the e30 map is aggressive right? Wouldn't e30 gas on a 93 tune have some sort of negative? Just trying to clarify a few things before I decide to go e30.