Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broke something...its not pretty...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
a lot of us are curious, myself included as to 'why'. I have yet to hear of someone with a 'big turbo' snap a bolt. Perhaps this is more prone to occur with the "donkey kick" torque of stock turbo?
Or poor shifting technique?

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #162
Or even poor quality control on the bolts? I grabbed 2nd pretty good when I broke mine. It was also tuned, and Cobb removes the boost limit in 1st and 2nd...

koozy

3000 Post Club
Or poor shifting technique?
it's a possibility, but I'm more inclined to think that a stock FiST doesn't have this issue with breaking bolts, poor shifts or not. Something is stressing the bolts beyond their rating and greater torque form a tune seems to fit as a likely factor that over extends the bolts capability and overall design of the mount.

twolf

My friend with a completely stock car broke his with less than 2,000 miles on the clock.

I bet the motor mount is almost the same as the base 1.6 mount and it probably works just fine with a torque limit and automatic transmission.

We can shock load the drive train a lot more with a manual transmission and sticky tires. Then we take off the torque limit...

I'm not terribly surprised after thinking about it. Fiesta ST is the only 1.6 EcoBoost with manual transmission and the other applications are not in sporty models. Of you want a quick Fusion you get a 2.0 or now the 2.7, not the 1.6.

It seems like such an easy fix to put a larger fastener in the stock mount, Ford could have done that at minimal cost but I bet the bean counters chose the torque limit instead...

twolf

bad shift? abuse?
He said he was just driving like normal when it broke, but he had driven spiritedly earlier that day. Nothing that stood out in his mind about it.

Edit: I just remembered, he got side swiped and the mount broke like 2 days after he got it back from the body shop.

koozy

3000 Post Club
He said he was just driving like normal when it broke, but he had driven spiritedly earlier that day. Nothing that stood out in his mind about it.

Edit: I just remembered, he got side swiped and the mount broke like 2 days after he got it back from the body shop.
i'd put that one under 'abuse', lol.

Dealer is refusing to cover it under warranty. They said because of my modifications (which are minor) the dealer won't purse a warranty claim.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Dealer is refusing to cover it under warranty. They said because of my modifications (which are minor) the dealer won't purse a warranty claim.
This is Ford Motor Company.... We can't be surprised at all. Not in the least.

They need to either make warranties illegal (and cars cheaper ) or make it extremely hard for companies to deny things that clearly should be covered.

This is Ford Motor Company.... We can't be surprised at all. Not in the least.

They need to either make warranties illegal (and cars cheaper ) or make it extremely hard for companies to deny things that clearly should be covered.
Tech even flat out lied on the service report saying that the bolt had been cross threaded...

Izzy

Nearly at 25k and mine broke. Reverse now feels like metal on metal vibration. Any easy solution with bolt specs to buy and fix?

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
I broke my passenger side mount bolt about a week ago when doing a burn out. When it broke it took the passenger side axle with it as well. Glad I'm not alone in breaking this. Though I think im the only big turbo car to break one. So, it figures I broke an axle as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I broke my passenger side mount bolt about a week ago when doing a burn out. When it broke it took the passenger side axle with it as well. Glad I'm not alone in breaking this. Though I think im the only big turbo car to break one. So, it figures I broke an axle as well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Got any pics/videos of this madness!? [rockon]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Maybe we have to pressure ARP to make up these bolts for us in 500,000 psi strength levels?!?

What grade are the stock/factory bolts?

So does anyone have a part # or link to an upgraded bolt? My dealership just did some warranty work on my car fully bolted and tuned was happy they did make a big deal about it.