Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broke something...its not pretty...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Ok, dealer has the car. As of now they can't get access to the mount/bolt. National back order. He said I can buy an aftermarket mount and they could install it as an option. Don't want an aftermarket upper mount. They transfer a ton of vibration...

Next option is find the bolt elsewhere... Just need the specs. Any idea how I can find the part # or size specs? Looking at a diagram the bolt I need wasn't listed assuming i was looking at it right. Need help looking. If you have anything let me know...
Is there even an aftermarket upper engine and trans mount for the FiST? I've never seen one, lol

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #42
Possible it is W706408S437. That's a bolt from that mount. It uses 3 bolts but only shows 1. Trying to see if I can get it outside of ford. My advisor is out til monday and who knows if anything will be done at all...

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #43
Is there even an aftermarket upper engine and trans mount for the FiST? I've never seen one, lol
Don't think. He must be thinking the focus. Screw the mount. That's what ford warranty is making him replace. The whole thing. I just need this bolt.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Don't think. He must be thinking the focus. Screw the mount. That's what ford warranty is making him replace. The whole thing. I just need this bolt.
It should be easy to find a similar bolt with the same thread pattern and size locally. Also with at least the same strength or stronger. [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] may know the exact specs.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #45
I would've yanked the old bolt to measure up but I figured this would be an in and out job. Plus I don't have a bolt extractor, but I can always use an excuse to buy toys... Err... I mean tools...

kevinatfms

The dealer parts counter should be able to get the bolt length, pitch and thread. It will be listed on the parts screen.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #47
I'll swing by tomorrow. My advisor said the guy working then had no chance of doing a task like that haha. At least he was honest lol. He said his good guy is back tomorrow am.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think my thread on this issue could have been on the other forum, or maybe not. After they banned me, I asked them to delete all my post, and.... They did.
Search my screen name and see if you can find it, I'd imagine I created a thread about it. It was more than 6 months ago.

I want to say it was a M12 bolt. But don't take my word for it. I bought a new one at ace hardware for like $3

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #50
I think my thread on this issue could have been on the other forum, or maybe not. After they banned me, I asked them to delete all my post, and.... They did.
Search my screen name and see if you can find it, I'd imagine I created a thread about it. It was more than 6 months ago.

I want to say it was a M12 bolt. But don't take my word for it. I bought a new one at ace hardware for like $3
Couldn't come up with it.

Hoping the ford parts guy comes though. Just sucks as I have a nice curvy mountain drive this weekend ive been looking forward to... Not now as the car will still be out of commission. Kinda stuck at ford until we find a bolt...

Didn't just the head snap off ? If the rest is still there you should be able to remove it and get the specs of it. Or what' about the other bolts in there can you pull one of them out and take it to the store and match it up should have no prob coming up with a m12 bolt at any hardware or fastner store.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #52
Didn't just the head snap off ? If the rest is still there you should be able to remove it and get the specs of it. Or what' about the other bolts in there can you pull one of them out and take it to the store and match it up should have no prob coming up with a m12 bolt at any hardware or fastner store.
That's what I probably will do, problem is its at ford, I dont want to drive it like that so I need to talk a tech into pulling a bolt for me, or let me pull a bolt while it's up there. It won't be until Monday probably as today I have a track meet(I'm a coach) and I leave until Monday after work Friday.

Grade 8! the only way to go. The sucker will never break. Whenever I replace a bolt, I look to grade 8 first. yea, it's a little more, but i prefer that to breaking bolts.

I use Ace hardware for all of my bolt needs. M12 should be a piece of cake. buy a few, and chances are there are only 2 pitch options, so grab one of each. either return the one you don't need or toss it in the spares bin.

the last time i sheared a bolt head i welded a nub onto the end of the bolt that was stuck, clamped on the vice grips and just twisted it out. Once the head snaps off, there's essentially no torque holding it in.

either way, glad it was just a mount bolt.

There is two pitch sizes in m12 1.75 and 1.25 so he's right if you just go buy one of each you should be able to throw it in and go

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #55
Thanks guys! Hopefully this thread will help out others in the future... Maybe should be retitled "upper motor mount broke" so people can locate it in a search.

Dealer called back and left a message, said the part will be in Monday, he said this was called a "promise date". Not sure if it is the whole mount or just bolts. I will most likely replace all those bolts with grade 8 stuff after I get it back. Plus upgrade the RMM to reduce some of that torque movement, that was my 1st planned mod, as it was with my focus... just didn't get to it in time...

I've always used grade 8. Coming from the 4x4 world when you were banging stuff off rocks, you needed that strength.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Glad it is taken care off.

Plus upgrade the RMM to reduce some of that torque movement, that was my 1st planned mod, as it was with my focus... .
This is also an important point. Low hooning driving would be fine. Aggressive driving that motor mount is simply too weak. I expect a recall in the future for it.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Friend of mine just broke this bolt last night as well. He has a boomba RMM. So a rmm wont solve the issue completely...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Grade 8 is what you want. If you get a bolt that too hard, it can actually shader like a glass plate if you drop it on concrete. The Grade8 is hard enough not to break, but soft enough to flex a bit. A company sold a "un-breakable" motor mount bolt kit that used a crazy hard bolt. After I sheared it: they offered me a free replacement ( gee thanks ). The solution was a drilled and tapped bulk head with a grade 8 standard bolt tapped in.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #60
I'll go with grade 8... Is it bad part of me wanted the tranny blown up... I have that gear whine but they don't know what to do about it.