Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broke something...its not pretty...

Pulled out this morning to go to work. All was well creeping around my neighborhood slowly. Went to pull out in traffic on to the main road, semi quick pull put. Little bit of rev coming off the line, revved 1st gear to 4k RPM, slip it into 2nd, get off the clutch and back onto the gas and CRUNCH.

At first i thought it was just a pothole or wheel spin/hop as it was pretty wet, but it did it again on a soft 3rd gear shift. TONS of vibration and a noise coming in through the sound symposer in the passenger foot well. If I had to describe the sound it is a rattling roaring sound, almost like the exhaust blew apart and heat shields were shaking.

Each gear change is met with a crunching pop as the clutch is fully released. When in gear it is quiet if coasting or less than maybe 5-10% gas. If you dig into the gas at all to pick up speed it vibrates and roars. I didn't risk going above 30ish MPH or 3rd gear and drove it home. Also crunches into reverse.

Observations. Motor revs clean, quiet and normal if in neutral or clutch in. Unlikely that it is motor, turbo, or flywheel in my mind due to this. Clutch feels the same to me, no shuttering, or chatter. You can take off normally besides the crunch and roaring sounds. So to me the clutch is not the issue either...

I did have it in last week to look at a transmission whine. They heard it but couldn't tell me if it was normal or bad so they said drive it and they would look into it. I've also had a kind of crunchy, thumpy 2nd gear shift since I got it, but they seems normal and it remedied by a slower 2nd gear shift if I let the RPMs fall.

Keep in mind I have had the car only 2 weeks. It is a 2014 with 22k miles... Traded in my focus with a bad tranny (DCT clutch issues)

Thoughts on the issue? Roadside is picking it up this evening...

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #2
Thinking about it it almost sounds like I broke a motor or tranny mount...

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
My Guess would be a defective clutch disk or input shaft bearing if you had a whine. Best to have them come get it or nurse it back to same dealer that looked at the tranny last time if that is possible. Hope I am wrong and it is just a misaligned hoot and tooter valve on the sunroof bearings .. but seriously get it looked at asap

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #4
Ford roadside is picking it up this evening but I am going to climb under after work and poke around. Its odd to have a tranny bust and still go into gears, or have a clutch break and it not shutter or click when pulling out...

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ford roadside is picking it up this evening but I am going to climb under after work and poke around. Its odd to have a tranny bust and still go into gears, or have a clutch break and it not shutter or click when pulling out...
Yes it is I may not have said this but it was just a guess on my part. lets hope it is something less drastic..

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Could be a wheel bearing to. One of my cars sounded like you described when a passenger side front bearing went. Kept driving to work what a howl.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #11
I haven't looked yet. I went home, switched cars and went to work. Before the tow truck comes I am going to climb under. Really really really hoping to see a broken mount or bolt somewhere but my luck its something internal. I just don't know what can break internally and still be drivable...

Definitely not a wheel bearing. I've lost my fair share on my explorer. This was a sudden issue, and it clunks too, wheel bearing wouldn't do that.

I will update as I know whats up...

kevinatfms

I haven't looked yet. I went home, switched cars and went to work. Before the tow truck comes I am going to climb under. Really really really hoping to see a broken mount or bolt somewhere but my luck its something internal. I just don't know what can break internally and still be drivable...

Definitely not a wheel bearing. I've lost my fair share on my explorer. This was a sudden issue, and it clunks too, wheel bearing wouldn't do that.

I will update as I know whats up...
Ive chunked gears apart before(TR3650 in a Mustang) and torn apart transmissions that had broken clutch springs that still went into gear. Im guessing spider gears in the diff from loading and unloading the diff or clutch plate springs. Both can make horrible noises when load is applied and be quiet as a church mouse with no load on the parts.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #14
I had thought about the diff. There was some wheel spin as it was wet so thoughts were maybe something jarred when it got traction and snapped some teeth...

If the clutch springs go wouldn't it not engage/disengage properly? Clutch issues scare me as they do not have to cover it under warranty right?

I am nervous because I've heard dealers deny work on manual transmissions blaming driver error. I know my luck... bad.

Now, I am a newer manual driver, and may not be the smoothest shifter from time to time but I know how to drive, this was just a fluke of whatever blew apart...

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #16
FYI with the dual mass flywheel our clutch disks have NO springs they are solid
Thank you. Makes me pretty sure it is not a clutch issue. Then again I have never pulled apart a clutch nor owned a stick before so I could be way off base.

Does it make the horrific noises if you're going down the road at speed in neutral or with the clutch pedal pressed? Axels can make tons of shitty noise, but would make a noise any time the wheels are spinning.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #19
I did not drive it far but seemed to mainly make noise when force/load was applied. It would vibrate the whole car. Rolling seemed normal.

OP
boombots
Thread Starter #20
Does it make the horrific noises if you're going down the road at speed in neutral or with the clutch pedal pressed? Axels can make tons of shitty noise, but would make a noise any time the wheels are spinning.
I see you are over in concord. I am near northlake mall. What dealer do you go to/where did you get your FiSt? I have been using Huntersville Ford, they are pretty good up there.

Ford Community Posts