Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is this, a Fiesta RST? TB Traction/Torsion bars installed.

Well, here it is.

I finally made the time to install that front bar. TB's Torsion bar was quite simple and took no longer than 20 min on the ramps. TB's all new Traction bar looks to be a cinch to install. As I mentioned in a previous thread, the suspension bolts do not have to be completely removed, just loosened enough to slip the bar in. However, for me, it was more of a challenge with loosening the suspension bolts. Regardless, I took it to a local shop and they charged me $20 to install the Traction bar(and rotated my tires).

What's it like to drive?

I'll tell you up front, IT'S NOT AN ST ANYMORE! It is certainly something MORE. The levels of grip and balance are unbelievable now. It reminds me of the balance I used to have in my E92 335 with corner balanced KW V2 coil-overs. Simply amazing. And for less than $200, IT'S A STEAL! Keep in mind, these are the only mods I have on the FiST thus far and as far as I can see, I will not need to be doing anything else to the suspension. That good!

I've said before, this car does not rotate as much as the FoST, but on the other hand, it's much more predictable now. Throwing it into a turn can now induce controlled 4 wheel slides, flipping brilliant!

If you have a FiST, then you MUST get these parts from TB, NO EXCUSE! Danny @TB has always gotten back to me with plenty of information in a timely manor. And the personally signed letter adds a nice touch.

Enough of the talk, let's see some pics of the new gear.

MOFiST

So with a Pierce 2 point lower stress bar which I have and love the handling now. It's also easy to live with every day. Is it worth getting the rear torsion bar as well just for canyon driving or do you have to be at the limit on the track to notice the difference? I also wouldn't want to negatively effect the overall balance of this car. 4 wheel slides [emoji14] I mean how in control were you at that point?

OP
P
Thread Starter #6
So with a Pierce 2 point lower stress bar which I have and love the handling now. It's also easy to live with every day. Is it worth getting the rear torsion bar as well just for canyon driving or do you have to be at the limit on the track to notice the difference? I also wouldn't want to negatively effect the overall balance of this car. 4 wheel slides [emoji14] I mean how in control were you at that point?
Everything is more controllable now! The 4 wheel slides I induced just because I could, and had the confidence to do so. The balance is much better and more predictable. I am more connected to the chassis and have overall more control.

Also, this is not ONLY for the track. Without the bars, the car had some chassis slop. Now, it's so much tighter and more streetable.

With the rear being tighter now, I would say I feel imperfections in the road about <5%. It's certainly not as much as installing springs, but if you pay attention, you will notice it. However, I'd liken it to the increased stability. The front bar I have yet to notice any difference that would negatively affect everyday drivability. It's simply better all around.

And with the install times/cost being so low, why not get into these parts?

MOFiST

Everything is more controllable now! The 4 wheel slides I induced just because I could, and had the confidence to do so. The balance is much better and more predictable. I am more connected to the chassis and have overall more control.

Also, this is not ONLY for the track. Without the bars, the car had some chassis slop. Now, it's so much tighter and more streetable.

With the rear being tighter now, I would say I feel imperfections in the road about <5%. It's certainly not as much as installing springs, but if you pay attention, you will notice it. However, I'd liken it to the increased stability. The front bar I have yet to notice any difference that would have any negatively affect everyday drivability. It's simply better all around.

And with the install times being so low, why not get into these parts?
I'm getting one now! lol [emoji41] so are you using the bushings on the torsion bar like iso100? And you're lowered as well?

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
I'm getting one now! lol [emoji41] so are you using the bushings on the torsion bar like iso100? And you're lowered as well?
Haha, awesome! Not lowered but have added complete suspensions to many of my older cars and these mods have much less of a (harsher) impact than an aftermarket suspension. The ups are simply to great to ignore.

As for the torsion bar and bushings, from what this product does to a torsion bar which only twists, I found no need for bushings. The forces simply do not necessitate it. Furthermore, I asked Danny @TB and backed that up 100%. If you must, adding bushings does not seem like it would negatively affect anything except for adding some minimal weight, but there is no movement in a torsion bar which would lead me to believe bushings would help in any way.

Everything is plug and play:)

OP
P
Thread Starter #9
I've got the torsion bar, but with the Pierce 6-point. Now, THAT definitely makes a different car.
I'm sure it feels spectacular!

On the other hand, I've read it a couple times that a 2-point front bar is all that's needed. Don't remember where though:(

However, it's hard for me to believe about more chassis bracing not being better. It would be neat to do a side-by-side with a car on a 2-point and a car on a 6-point just for sh*ts and giggles.

Agreed, I hope more people chime in here with their experiences. These upgrades are definitely on my list of must haves in the next 12 months. The question is, what order and which varients (2 vs 4 vs 6 etc)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Agreed, I hope more people chime in here with their experiences. These upgrades are definitely on my list of must haves in the next 12 months. The question is, what order and which varients (2 vs 4 vs 6 etc)
I ordered the 2 pt because I was told that was plenty for daily driving and some spirited driving. My car will never hit the track or autocross.

Well i'll be picking this up soon, the nice level of customer service I got when picking up the torsion bar really seals the deal for me.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm sure it feels spectacular!

On the other hand, I've read it a couple times that a 2-point front bar is all that's needed. Don't remember where though:(

However, it's hard for me to believe about more chassis bracing not being better. It would be neat to do a side-by-side with a car on a 2-point and a car on a 6-point just for sh*ts and giggles.
I'd like to know the difference, as well. But knowing myself. If I hadn't gone with the 6-point, I would have spent much more money trying out the 2, and then 4.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Yes. Order now.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When I was doing the suspension build on my car I came to the conclusion it only needed a 2 point bar so that is what I built. It is also used as the rear mount of a full length under tray and a bit of an inverted wicker bill to release the air from the bottom of the car.

Later the shop manager at the Ford race shop at MMP looked over my car on the lift, liked what I had done and concurred that is all it needed, he drove my car and loved it.

Others have the 4 or 6 point bar and really like them which is great.

I am quite happy with my results as well and no rear sway or whatever you want to call it, on 225 slicks going all out, handling is amazing but I also changed the rear camber and toe settings, run 9" wide wheels, cannot exactly compare my car to others.

I do have a 5 way adjustable rear swap bar I made out of a BMW race bar I had in the shop, I will test that when I get the EFR turbo on and out at the track again.

I will probably build the torsion style bar to test as well as it would be lower in weight than the sway bar.

I may build a multi point bar to test as well but it is not a high priority item for me at this time.

Rick

What can you tell us as far as the traction bar goes? I've seen a lot of people using the pierce lower chassis brace, is the TB traction bar meant to accomplish the same thing? Wondering for both ease of ordering, as well as hoping that these two will basically bring me to where I would like to be chassis wise with my FiST in under $200.

OP
P
Thread Starter #17
What can you tell us as far as the traction bar goes? I've seen a lot of people using the pierce lower chassis brace, is the TB traction bar meant to accomplish the same thing? Wondering for both ease of ordering, as well as hoping that these two will basically bring me to where I would like to be chassis wise with my FiST in under $200.
The Pierce 2 point and TB Traction Bar accomplish the same thing. However, the TB bar offers an easier install solution. You will be astounded after install of both the front and rear bars.

The Pierce 2 point and TB Traction Bar accomplish the same thing. However, the TB bar offers an easier install solution. You will be astounded after install of both the front and rear bars.
Thanks for the info! Will be purchasing both, but separately. I'd like to get one, drive it for a little while and really get a good idea of how it's improved handling before getting the next. That way I figure I'll better recognize how each one improves the car, and in what ways. Any recommendation as to which would be better to purchase first? The Traction Bar or the Torsion Bar?

OP
P
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for the info! Will be purchasing both, but separately. I'd like to get one, drive it for a little while and really get a good idea of how it's improved handling before getting the next. That way I figure I'll better recognize how each one improves the car, and in what ways. Any recommendation as to which would be better to purchase first? The Traction Bar or the Torsion Bar?
My rec is to buy both and install one at a time, but whatever works for you.

I did the torsion bar first and noticed a mega improvement from stock. However, once installed, I noticed the front could be tightened up a bit, which is where the traction bar came into play. I personally believe these bars should be used together because they truly provide a total package opposed to doing it halfway.