Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hijinx’ Build

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #104
I'm bored, so here's an update:

I was sitting here thinking... And you know there isn't anything I haven't done twice or more with this car. It's been through so many changes, and I wish I were better at documenting these things. Let me count the parts that used to be on the car:

2JR catted downpipe
2JR non-cat
2JR intake
Cobb intake
Mountune silicone intake pipe w/filter and box mod
Panda intercooler (prototype)
Cobb intercooler
Boomba RMM
Cobb RMM
Cobb cat-back
Koni Orange dampers w/stock springs (terrible idea, BTW)
17" OZ Leggeras
Mountune tuned
Panda tuned
Cyborg v1
Cyborg v2 (due to an unfortunate event)
ATP hotside charge pipe
JBR OCC (prototype for direct fit kit)
Boomba Wing Risers

*Please, save both of us the trouble, and avoid doing the math*

The list of things I've done only once is much shorter, including the shorty antenna, Pierce(midship brace was prototype) and TB bracing. I think it's fair to say I've been around the block a few times. Why? Well, we were still growing back then... We're still growing now. But, right now is honestly the best time to buy and mod a Fiesta. There are a lot of great quality parts being made, and lots of other people's experience to lean on.

Anyway, all of this is to say that even more changes are coming. I've got some Meister R coilovers currently in shipping. A Cobb RMM waiting to be installed (I'm on the stock mount lol). Some nifty Mishimoto neo-chrome lugs are on the way, as well. Above all else, the biggest change is coming in the form of a DHM Built Engine! We are getting closer to having this go down and as things get underway and I start receiving pics I'll try to remember to post them.

Along with the engine I will be moving up to a GTX2871 and swapping out my Panda BOV for a Tial BOV. A Mishimoto Thermostat and a Spec Stage 3 clutch and light weight flywheel will also be going in. I've been eyeing the Sparco Trofeo 4s (black) for some slicks.

The point of it all is that I hope that the younger/newer crowd can learn a little bit of something from myself and the other guys here who have been through a lot of changes. Even when you think you're modding right, you can still end up modding twice.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
I hear ya! Modding twice is no Bueno, for those of us that can't buy the bigger fancy kits or be able to do things twice, it helps to have guys do it twice lol:) so that when we are ready , we can just do it once

MS67

Looks like we know who will hold the record for the highest HP FiST...can't wait to see the new build. Are you going to install a proper LSD and beef up the tranny at all?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The biggest change is coming in the form of a DHM Built Engine! We are getting closer to having this go down and as things get underway and I start receiving pics I'll try to remember to post them.

Along with the engine I will be moving up to a GTX2871 and swapping out my Panda BOV for a Tial BOV. A Mishimoto Thermostat and a Spec Stage 3 clutch and light weight flywheel will also be going in. I've been eyeing the Sparco Trofeo 4s (black) for some slicks.
Can't wait for this! Very exciting

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
The biggest change is coming in the form of a DHM Built Engine! We are getting closer to having this go down and as things get underway and I start receiving pics I'll try to remember to post them.

Can't wait for this! Very exciting

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #109
Looks like we know who will hold the record for the highest HP FiST...can't wait to see the new build. Are you going to install a proper LSD and beef up the tranny at all?
I'm not the only one. There are two others going big as well, but I'll let them make their own posts.

As for the transmission and an LSD... After research and some talking with Russ, we decided against it for a few reasons: my car is still going to function as a daily; to properly use an LSD, torque vectoring has to be defeated which includes the loss of some airbags, and the B spec ABS module (I forget the member that discovered this); although, the 3J unit seems promising I'll let Rodmoe play with that for a little while.

If history serves us well, the Fiesta will continue to outshine the Focus in the hardware area and the transmission will be fine. At 5XXwtq a Focus spit out a spider gear. The best bet is to keep the WTQ low, which was a part of my decision to go with a slightly bigger turbo. Russ believes the 2871 will spool similar to the 2861 with the higher compression ratio...

In short, we'll see what the trans can handle and what will break. Meanwhile, I'm prepared to buy another transmission. If the diff spits out a gear, then I'll consider an LSD for its strength.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

MS67

I'm not the only one. There are two others going big as well, but I'll let them make their own posts.

As for the transmission and an LSD... After research and some talking with Russ, we decided against it for a few reasons: my car is still going to function as a daily; to properly use an LSD, torque vectoring has to be defeated which includes the loss of some airbags, and the B spec ABS module (I forget the member that discovered this); although, the 3J unit seems promising I'll let Rodmoe play with that for a little while.

If history serves us well, the Fiesta will continue to outshine the Focus in the hardware area and the transmission will be fine. At 5XXwtq a Focus spit out a spider gear. The best bet is to keep the WTQ low, which was a part of my decision to go with a slightly bigger turbo. Russ believes the 2871 will spool similar to the 2861 with the higher compression ratio...

In short, we'll see what the trans can handle and what will break. Meanwhile, I'm prepared to buy another transmission. If the diff spits out a gear, then I'll consider an LSD for its strength.

Good to know...I didn't realize the ABS and all that had to be disabled to run an LSD. There goes that idea, lol.

How is traction with the Conti DWs? Even on pump gas making ~260whp my car is shredding the tires all through 2nd gear with the X-37 hybrid turbo, and that's with new Bridgestone RE760s in stock sizes. I'm going to 225/45/16 ZII Star Specs soon so hopefully that helps a bit.

MS67

Good to know...I didn't realize the ABS and all that had to be disabled to run an LSD. There goes that idea, lol.

How is traction with the Conti DWs? Even on pump gas making ~260whp my car is shredding the tires all through 2nd gear with the X-37 hybrid turbo, and that's with new Bridgestone RE760s in stock sizes. I'm going to 225/45/16 ZII Star Specs soon so hopefully that helps a bit.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #112

Don't think you can't run an LSD... It will just work best if you can defeat torque vectoring.

For everyday driving I like the traction. There are definitely better options which I'm also considering (Falken Azenis, Star Specs) but the DW can't be beat for their performance at the price point, IMO. If I wanted to, of course I can shred them through 1st and 2nd. But 3rd will hook, and that's the magic gear lol. While datalogging I do break them loose for just long enough to change the torque curve in vDyno. It's almost imperceptible, so I went and did a datalog while monitoring the front and rear speed sensors to confirm. This picture shows that little break in traction.

Anyway, on the whole, they're a pretty darn good tire to daily on. Acceptable levels of grip and longevity in one inexpensive package. But, it's something else I'll probably change as I noted above... Time will tell.

KKaWing

Depends on the LSD though, clutch type LSD yes, TVC isn't helpful towards it. Torsen/Quaife types benefit from left foot braking, and TVC is pretty much the same thing just applied to an individual wheel... at least according to Chris Harris.

[video=youtube;vcSAiRxmm0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSAiRxmm0w[/video]

MS67

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know how the 225 Star Specs work out for me whenever my wheels come in.

Siestarider

I was just dropping by to see Hijinks latest, when I caught the LSD comments. I am running a Quaife because tracking was being limited from apex out with stock TVC. Much, much better with Quaife. I know TVC still intervenes, because I have slightly higher front pad wear on passenger side running PBIR and Sebring, both clockwise tracks.

I have tried logging both front wheel speeds at 30 Hz and tried to tease out the TVC, just cannot find it. Its that subtle.

However, for road courses, with LSD is distinctly better than without. I would say its the best tracking mod period. And least useful mod for DD. In fact probably never comes into play on street.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #116
I was just dropping by to see Hijinks latest, when I caught the LSD comments. I am running a Quaife because tracking was being limited from apex out with stock TVC. Much, much better with Quaife. I know TVC still intervenes, because I have slightly higher front pad wear on passenger side running PBIR and Sebring, both clockwise tracks.

I have tried logging both front wheel speeds at 30 Hz and tried to tease out the TVC, just cannot find it. Its that subtle.

However, for road courses, with LSD is distinctly better than without. I would say its the best tracking mod period. And least useful mod for DD. In fact probably never comes into play on street.
Thanks for the additional insight Siesta!

masonsturbos

Sounds like lots more to come! Exciting none the less. You gunna keep factory ride height on your coil overs? Speaking of Cobb rmm, I thought your old one was going out today, horrible horrible noise at idle. Took it out and a golf ball sized rock fell out with it, it was wedged up in there causing all kinds of racket

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #119
Sounds like lots more to come! Exciting none the less. You gunna keep factory ride height on your coil overs? Speaking of Cobb rmm, I thought your old one was going out today, horrible horrible noise at idle. Took it out and a golf ball sized rock fell out with it, it was wedged up in there causing all kinds of racket
According to Jerrick (Meister Rep) about a half inch is the minimum drop. So, that's what I'll be going for, let them settle and adjust from there if there's room.

Glad it was only a rock.