Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hijinx’ Build

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #123
almost ordered these twice, in for install pics
I'm doing some other things with the car ATM, but once it's back on the ground and cleaned I do plan on some pictures.

Scent from Glade Air Freshener

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #124
So, sorry about this, but I didn't take any pictures. It almost never crosses my mind when I'm working on the car. Anyway, I posted this in a DHM install thread and figured id post it in my own thread.

I pulled and installed my GTX450r (GTX2867r) kit yesterday... Part fun, part maintenance... Getting things unstuck, making sure lines are out of the way, nothing rubbing, inspecting, etc, etc... I have the Pierce 6pt brace and I removed it as well...

Anyway, as a suggestion to make things a little easier on the install:

Remove the intermediate/pax side axle. This requires a 32mm deep socket. You'll need another body to step on the brake, and you can use a breaker bar, or an impact wrench (GET ONE, OMG ITS LIFE).

Remove the axle retainer bracket. Two 13mm nuts.

At this point you can either remove the A-arm stud retainer and press down freeing the hub, or remove the two strut bolts (both options 15mm bolt & 18mm nut) freeing the hub.

Now, for the love of axles everywhere, use a piece of wood, or a heavy RUBBER mallet. I HEAVILY suggest the mallet. Angle the hub down or up and start to whacking. You may need some penetrant to get it out, so don't be alarmed. Be patient, you don't want to fuck this up.

This is the point where I suggest having a oil pan under the transmission... My car likes to vomit it's transmission oil when I pull out the axle. Yours might not. Seems to be hit or miss for some odd reason.

Once the hub end of the axle is free, just pull that bad boy straight out.

Anyway, it's really easy to get out, honestly. Shouldn't take more than 45 min on your first try. But trust me, this will open up so much room for activities.

Next, install the turbo to the manifold, leaving the v-band just loose enough to rotate.

Get under the car, lift up your turbo and manifold and slide her right on to those studs.

It's sounds like a lot, but compared to playing games with figuring out how the v-band will go on or having someone under the car holding it up and you keeping fucking up because someone moves wrong, etc etc... It's really much simpler to pull the axle.

Another pro-tip: manifold/turbo v-bands should point diagonally at the firewall, toward the driver.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #125
Meister Measurements OOTB:
Method... Originally measured in 32nds of inches with a...uhh, a ruler, and patience.

Rear:
Start: 36mm
End: 45mm
Adj: 9mm

Front:
Start: 41mm
End: 45mm
Adj: 4mm

Driver Side Damper:
Start: -8
End: -10

Passenger Side Damper:
Start -9
End -10

Rear (both):
Start: -8
End: -12

Ride Height:
Method: Measured from highest point of wheel well at fender to center of center cap.

OEM Loaded:
Front: ~ 337mm
Rear: ~ 343mm

OEM Unloaded:
Front: ~ 438mm
Rear: ~ 419mm

Meister Unloaded:
Front: ~ 378mm
Rear: ~ 368mm

Meister Loaded:
Front: ~ 324mm
Rear: ~ 337mm

In inches:
Front: 13.25" -> 12.75" ( .50" )
Rear: 13.5" -> 13.25" ( .25" )

As long as it doesn't settle too much, it'll be right where I want it! Based on pictures, Meisters manual and knowing the drop amount I wanted, I gambled with the adjustments I made prior to installing.

Weights:
Method: Weighed myself in clothing, then held front to get measurement, then held rear to get measurement.

Hijinx: 234.4 lbs
Hijinx w/ OEM Front: 245.6 lbs
Hijinx w/ Meister: 248.6 lbs
Difference: -3 lbs

Hijinx w/ OEM Rear: 241.2
Hijinx w/ Meister Rear: 242.4
Difference: +1.2 lbs

OEM Front: 11.2 lbs
OEM Rear: 6.8 lbs

Meister Front: 8.6 lbs
Meister Rear: 8 lbs

So, both fortunately and unfortunately only a 1.8 lbs loss. But, that wasn't the goal. Also, finally got a couple other things done... Replaced my driver side mirror which I just barely caught on the garage over a year ago, and put on my Evap Canister Skid plate from @nopistons (yes, it's been a while). Anyway, on to the pic dump, in no particular order because that's how I do things. Get over it.

Very nice! You have convinced me as to what coilovers to buy. Now to wait till the end of the month... ugh.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #127
Very nice! You have convinced me as to what coilovers to buy. Now to wait till the end of the month... ugh.
Jerrick is awesome to work with! And the coilovers look great! I don't think you'll regret it.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #129
I need to replace that same little turn signal cover. Did you access screws behind the mirror to pop the cover off?
The cover just pops off. It's a weird, shiatsu massage, tai chi move. Like everything, difficult the first time, but easier with practice. It comes off top first. You'll palm and squeeze the inside (closest to door) while pulling down at a slight angle. Give it little twists as you're doing this. It'll eventually pop off, just need a little patience.

The cover just pops off. It's a weird, shiatsu massage, tai chi move. Like everything, difficult the first time, but easier with practice. It comes off top first. You'll palm and squeeze the inside (closest to door) while pulling down at a slight angle. Give it little twists as you're doing this. It'll eventually pop off, just need a little patience.

Thanks! That's good news and bad news for me. The super simple pull and pop jobs are how I break things [wrenchin]

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #131
Thanks! That's good news and bad news for me. The super simple pull and pop jobs are how I break things [wrenchin]
Just keep in mind it's an acute angle downward; somewhere between 0-45?. Don't worry, it's tough for a small piece.

MPA

Looks good on the coilovers - those may be my next upgrade

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #133
Went and got the alignment checked. Errrr... Guess I'm gonna pull some of that camber out of the plates. No idea how my toe got so off.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #134
Pulled the fronts, and set the camber plates to 0. While I was there, I played around with positioning the strut... Pushing in for "natural camber" causes the hub to rotate in, noticeably increasing toe-in. Will verify settings on Friday.

KKaWing

That's the third alignment sheet I've see where the rear right wheel has toe out... mine included. Here I thought mine was special :p

MS67

I'm taking my car for an alignment today or tomorrow - were you able to get yours on a normal alignment rack or did you have to find a place with an in-ground setup?

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #137
I'm taking my car for an alignment today or tomorrow - were you able to get yours on a normal alignment rack or did you have to find a place with an in-ground setup?
I was able to get on a regular rack. I only dropped .5" on the front, so...YMMV.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #138
Here's the alignment done. $100 for toe only is super steep... I'm probably gonna learn how to do my own alignments.

Here's the alignment done. $100 for toe only is super steep... I'm probably gonna learn how to do my own alignments

Doing the alignment is easy. Having the equipment to do it is the hard part lol.

OP
Hijinx

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Thread Starter #140
Doing the alignment is easy. Having the equipment to do it is the hard part lol.
True.

I know [MENTION=9]rodmoe[/MENTION] has a little setup to do them with in the garage, though.