Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PlastiDipped my wheels today

Let me start off by saying I have never use plastidip before ever and all i can say is damn this stuff is nice. I am by far the worst person in the world with a rattle can and i managed to dip my wheels.
I have always been a bit of a Subaru fan boy so when i was trying to figure out what color to use it was pretty obvious i was gonna go gold since i have seen so many black wheels and honestly not the biggest fan of it.
But anyways heres the results please tell me what you think

stock(with very depressing curbing)

started raining just as it got done curing for the most part :p

sun came out about an hour or so later and i snapped this.

OP
Tr1cycle
Thread Starter #5
Yah its vintage gold with a coat of glossifier

OP
Tr1cycle
Thread Starter #7
pretty simple hardest part was taping off lugs and center cap. i think it was like 60 bucks or so.

I Dipped my wheels and did the spoilers and rockers too. I like the white, but it sucks up brake dust like its addicted to it.

. ST Dipped RQ (800x430).jpg ST Dipped FQ (800x441).jpg

Good job but i feel bad when you to peel it off, you should have taken the wheels off the car, the barrel of the wheels and behind the spokes are gonna have the smallest amount of dip on it because you were barely able to mist it in there between the spokes.
Ask me how i know this.

Im on my 5th color of plastidip wheel job now. I love the stuff, if you use it right. its a bitch to get off if you dont try to lay it flat all around. The most important part of "painting" something is how you prep the item youre spraying.

OP
Tr1cycle
Thread Starter #11
Good job but i feel bad when you to peel it off, you should have taken the wheels off the car, the barrel of the wheels and behind the spokes are gonna have the smallest amount of dip on it because you were barely able to mist it in there between the spokes.
Ask me how i know this.

Im on my 5th color of plastidip wheel job now. I love the stuff, if you use it right. its a bitch to get off if you dont try to lay it flat all around. The most important part of "painting" something is how you prep the item youre spraying.
Honestly i wont be changing colors. thisbis basically my gap insurence till i buy new wheels.
also alittle bit of dusting inside the wheels doesnt matter since you know its grey again after a day of driving.

XuperXero

Here's my adventures with plastidip.

Ask me how i know this.
Agree with this. It's a bitch to rip them off around the behind the spokes. This is coming from a guy who took his rims off each time he plastidipped. It gets THIN there no matter how much efforts you put into there.

SPhilli911

I did mine white yesterday (on performance blue ST), super easy to do and I think it looks great. Took all 4 wheels off, removed center caps, tape over the valve stems, put down about 5 coats per wheel. I'm just wondering how long the white will last before getting discoloration.

I can put up pics later.

I did mine white yesterday (on performance blue ST), super easy to do and I think it looks great. Took all 4 wheels off, removed center caps, tape over the valve stems, put down about 5 coats per wheel. I'm just wondering how long the white will last before getting discoloration.

I can put up pics later.
I thought the white on my performance blue looked great too. They will be coated with break dust pretty quickly, though. I couldn't wash the dust off without brake dust cleaner. They would clean up and look good again, though. That is until they got greasy during a tire change (Pirelli P Zero Nero). The grease monkeys had pretty nasty hands and that grease got imbedded and isn't washing off. I'm going to switch to a darker color. The black on my truck wheels held up very well. I got a couple of years of of it.

SPhilli911

I thought the white on my performance blue looked great too. They will be coated with break dust pretty quickly, though. I couldn't wash the dust off without brake dust cleaner. They would clean up and look good again, though. That is until they got greasy during a tire change (Pirelli P Zero Nero). The grease monkeys had pretty nasty hands and that grease got imbedded and isn't washing off. I'm going to switch to a darker color. The black on my truck wheels held up very well. I got a couple of years of of it.
That is good info, thank you. I was afraid they would turn black and stay black from the brake dust. If they become too much of a hassle I'll peel them off and have them properly painted, or buy white wheels. Plastidipping them was more just to see what white looked like and I like it a lot.

$60 bucks sounds a lot. I did mine and only used I think, 2 cans @ $7 bucks a can

Have fun peeling that off..... Jesus christ i never use less than a can a wheel. I guess everyone has to learn the hard way with plastidip. i did on my old BMW. did the same thing as you. That was a fun 8 hours i spent outside sitting on my ass peeling a million plastidip stickers off. You will get a shitty result/have a hard time peeling it off if you use any less than that.

If you start having problems peeling it off try spraying more on it and let it full dry and try again.

60$ is about what you should be spending when you plastidip wheels.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I Dipped my wheels and did the spoilers and rockers too. I like the white, but it sucks up brake dust like its addicted to it.

. View attachment 4961 View attachment 4960
I know it's not mine, but please, for the love of all things Car Community, put down the Plastidip and step away from the vehicle.

Anyway, OP. It does look great. Did you use an undercoat of white or anything?