Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Automakers Say You Should Stop Working on Your Car...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://blogs.motortrend.com/1504_au...umomotortrendhub_MotorTrend_20150427_44709846

"There's a battle being waged over who's allowed to service or modify your car. Right now, the U.S. Copyright Office is trying to decide whether the many computer systems found in today's cars should be protected as intellectual property as defined by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which was passed in 1998. Lobbyists for a number of automakers say they should be, and in addition have submitted comments to the office saying their systems are too complex for consumers and independent mechanics to service."

DHM1

1000 Post Club
The day dealers are required to hire educated, professional and passionate techs I will gladly pay them to work on cars. Until then ill pass. Im still needed to fix the mess they made in our FoST for the wiring recall. Lost screws, electrical tape everywhere, car had unneeded miles on it, improper soldering, and the list goes on.

Russ

I go by the old saying that if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I go by the old saying that if you want something done right, do it yourself.
I can screw my car up myself ( and fix it ), i don't need to pay someone $83 per hour to screw my car up, then deny it or blame something else...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
What dealer charges that low a rate/hr of labor now? I typically see 115+.
Its been 12 years since I paid mistu $83 an hour to run a diagnostic on my twin turbo Stealth R/T.
After the $500 bill, I wanted to ask "the tech" about something on the car since they would be the "experts". Kid came out and looked like any other 18-26 year old kid you'd find at an oil change place charing people $80 to change windshield wipers. After asking a few questions about the car and getting responses like, "I don't know, i didn't get that far, this thing is so hard to work on, I'm not sure", I towed it home. When I got it home, I found a box of nuts, bolts, misc parts that were not reinstalled.

Yea.... That was my last paided trip to any dealer.

One of our friends is the former service manager at a Ford dealer (quit last year). She used to tell me how the techs would bitch and complain any time there was a computer issue about how they "aren't computer techs, they are mechanics, they don't know what to do with computer related issues," blah blah. My response was always "First, isn't Ford supposed to be training their techs? Second, if they don't want to improve their skills and get with the changes in cars, they can go ahead and get out of the business." These are the people working on your cars at the dealer.

When my Explorer started flipping out on hot days a few months after I bought it (it would run and drive, but it would throw every code in the book for no reason), the dealer at first couldn't find anything wrong even after showing them pictures of every error that came up on the display. Finally one day it did it and I drove it in to the dealer screaming and dinging the whole time. They hooked up to it and found no communication between the BCM and the rest of the modules. I instantly said "it's the BCM or something on the CAN bus." After days and many phone calls between the dealer and Ford Engineering, the Ford Engineer told them to check the CAN bus pin in the connector at the BCM and sure enough, the pin was bent. They replaced the pin and it fixed it.

Any mechanic worth his weight, whether he knows computers or not, through basic troubleshooting techniques could figure out "If the BCM can't communicate with the rest of the car, run a BCM diagnostic. If the BCM passes, check the wiring." They should not have had to get Ford Engineering involved. Don't get me wrong, I love my dealer, but their service department is just like every other service department experience I have ever had. A bunch of "factory trained techs" that don't know squat and couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a box without some kind of paint by numbers manual.

I had pulley noise on the Explorer as well and showed it to the service guy when I pulled in. Mysteriously, 2 days later they called and said they couldn't find a problem. Sure enough, I got there and there was no noise. I would have laid money on them just putting belt dressing on it and "not finding a problem." After a few thousand miles, the noise is back. Yup, belt dressing. I'm going to change the tensioner and the belt and take it to them and show them that "there was nothing wrong." It's quite embarrassing driving a 1 year old Explorer with the belt noise of a 1995 Maxima.

But they know better than we do...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
In my "ecoboost" experience so far, checking codes is all they know about turbo cars.

But... If i had a 6.0L diesel truck, a ford tech would be worth his weight in gold, those guys have Got to be bad ass at those by now.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I think the problem is in general in ANY industry you have many just want to coast by. "I want to do the minimum and get paid the maximum." I know of many dealers and shops like that. They know they can make quick money on quick turn easy stuff. However I also know as many good reliable dealers and shops. Its a matter of finding them, may not be too easy, but they exist. Some love their work. I know I may be in the minority but I dislike general comments and don't want to scare everyone away from every dealer. Hence when asked I would recommend my dealer and a few others I would also not recommend a few. Not sure where I was going with this but I just wanted to say not all mechanics/shops/dealers are bad.

I know what you're getting at and I will agree. My Dad and I have had this conversation when I had the Explorer issues. There are the 5% that care about what they do and are good at it. Unfortunately they usually don't last long because they get taken advantage of so they get fed up and leave, unless the dealership gets it and does whatever they can to keep the good ones. Most of us don't have the time to run all over to dealers until we find a good one, or drive over an hour to go to the good one. I did that with my 2005 Pontiac (6 dealers in 3 states) and not a single one of them was even decent.

If you're lucky enough to find the good one, that's awesome. I have 5 or 6 Ford dealers between myself and work, I know 3 of them, and I despise going to any of those 3 for service. I wish the service guys were as good as the sales guys at my dealer.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I should def add, its not just a ford issue. Problem is... They pay these guys like NOTHING. I love cars. I love turbo cars. I love electric motors. You'd think I'd be hunted down like a dog by a ford dealer or Toyoda dealer (think Prius ). But the truth is... They WOULD NOT afford me. They would rather pay an inexperienced young man $12 a hour to fumble his way though an issue instead of train him or hire me.

I got super lucky with my dealership, the tech I work with is an ST enthusiast and actually knows a good bit more about the car than I do. He's the only person aside from myself who touches it, and even the service writer that I deal with is a huge fan of the car as well. Results are obviously not typical, but as [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] said, good dealers and shops do exist.

Now the closest dealer to me on the other hand, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy...