Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hi, from the frozen north

As the title dictates.

I came to know my ST after having a 1.4t Dart for a couple years. Was driving by one of the Ford lots and watched as an Oxford White ST was rolling off of the truck.
Walked in, flagged a sales guy, put money down and drove it off the lot. No muss no fuss. It's been the best decision by far. I loved the Dart for what it was, but I stopped driving highway for work, and it was not much of a city car. The Fiesta though, oh baby.

I have other cars, so this little escape pod won't be doing daily duties too often, and will only live on the road May through October, and as such, I'm modding it to be... an improvement on what the factory produced. There will be no winter driving this.

Thus far, very very minor things have been done.

Cobb Stage 3 was ordered in the first few days of ownership, and it's all installed save the downpipe, which is on backorder but should be shipping this week. FWIW, as a fairly centralized option, that may cost a few credible ponies versus a wizards bag of parts from all sources and a more aggressive tuning strategy, the Cobb kit seems to be the business for a well sorted warmed over hatch.

Full (And I mean FULL) LED conversion. Front, back, In and Out. No hyperflash either.

What's next? Well, there are certain things that need consideration that the bean counters at FoMoCo had to leave on the table, and I understand that, but will be making adjustments to their recipe as I see fit. UberST? Nein. But the ultimate balance of competitive and enjoyable tear-assing that sidesteps factory cost considerations.

The track will be widened a bit, 15mm front and rear, through the use of spacers. I was hoping to see if the earlier generation ST rear hub-back spacers would be a bolt-up, but have no firm intel, so wheel spacers it is I guess.

A full round of body and fender bracing from TB, Pierce, and Ultra Racing whenever I get the chance to do so. I'm also interesting in finding out whether there is a front to back three point underbody brace for each side that would be available. The google machine will tell.

I have also found pedal placement to be funky. The accelerator isn't in line with the other pedals! There will be a fix for that courtesy of one of the two producers for a pedal spacer.

Also, shifting seems to require seven feet arms, so a full shift kit from Boomba is definitely in order. I'm hoping that I can shorten it up as right now I'm constantly clashing into third when I shift while sitting in my ideal driving position, and I hate the sound of grinding gears, and I'm sure it does the b6 absolutely no favours.

Finally, a Quaiffe, eventually. That's the big ticket.

I've owned about 52 cars in ten years of driving. Lots of junk, some real gems, and not a lot of keepers among them. The ST is a really promising unit, though.

More to come. nope.jpg

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Welcome aboard. Nice ride and nice upgrades. Got any details on your LED conversions was looking at doing the same thing but looking for options to avoid the hyperflash? And check out the http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-pedal-lift-spacer-Improve-heel-toe-technique [MENTION=678]no-pistons[/MENTION] has a great spacer, dead pedal and battery tie down. BTW Mountune USA has $200 off the Quaifie this weekend with code "traction"

http://fiestast.net/threads/fiesta-st-quaife-lsd-from-mountune-usa-on-sale.2380/

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #4
Thank you!

There are two options re: hyperflash. One probable, and the other absolute.

The probable but untested one is to find a sympathetic or curious technician with access to Ford's VCM/IDS suite of diagnostic tools. With that hardware and software, legend has it that there is a flag that can be changed in the external lighting section of the body control network that will deactivate the low-draw double flash indication. It's vestigial to cab and chassis trucks where often times the final builder will select LED rear lamps and doesn't want the double flash. So Ford fleet built that flag into the BCM coding to turn off a double flash to aid the final builders.

Now, I say untested because I had intended to find a weekend tech at the local ford dealer to do the programming for me, but I got antsy, which leads to the absolute solution.

Resistors, in line. There are tons of writeups on those so I won't delve too deeply. But will say that you'll need four resistors, one each for each corner. They install well enough, but be certain to weather wrap the splices very well or you'll get contamination in the lines and they will rot over the life of the vehicle. Bonus is that if you do each corner, the wing mirror LED's (cause you'll want to do those too) will behave properly with no in line resistance bump needed.

Personally, I'd just suggest talking to a ford tech and having them check to see if you can get that double flash warning tossed out the window via programming.

The rest of the conversion was fairly straightforward. Brake lamps are 3157 reds (You'll want to color match to the housing unless you want pink.) They are not 3057's (which your local parts counter geek will swear will do, they won't).

Reverse LED's will do fine as 194's. The wedge base is the same as what comes out of the reverse section for stock bulbs. I suggest a good bright LED for those.

Plate lights? I swapped in 194 LED's and I'm not totally smitten. Ford used euro spec light housings that are meant to illuminate a longer numberplate, and that means that they don't accurately reflect on north american numberplates IMO. It's funny. The LED's actually illuminate everything but the plate, which could be a benefit. But if you want to play nice, and look good, order these off of Ebay.

Headlamps and fogs were a cheap set of 6k LED conversions. Chosen because with slight modification to the housings, you can seal up the housings again, AND stuff the driver module inside. Very clean because no ballasts dangling around the engine bay. I'll do a better writeup eventually. ONe thing to note is prepare to aim your headlamps into the dirt. The dispersion pattern on the LED's is weird because it's one big upward firing directional LED. Looks great but you will need to adjust.

Front signals became switchbacks because they didn't have regulars. And frankly, I kinda like em.

Thanks for the heads up on No Piston's stuff! I knew about the deadpedal but I'd be just as happy to save a few bucks and buy his pedal lift as well :)

I'd love to afford the Diff now, but once it gets here I'll have to spend lord knows how much having someone install it for me. And you KNOW Ford won't be on the same page as I about doing it at their facilities. I need to see who in Edmonton can competently do the work that I don't feel good doing myself.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #5
Thanks! Of note, I bookmarked your modification list a while ago. Taking some small measure of inspiration from it's general makeup.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #8
haha, excellent! PM replied. Reach out any time you'd like to meet up.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #9
I wanted to throw a second reply in here,

Here are the fruits of the LED conversion in the flesh, so to speak. The only thing you didn't get to see is the LP lites, which I apologize on, but I didn't think about it at the time I filmed it today.

[video]https://youtu.be/__R_siVpmm0[/video]

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #12
I ordered direct from Cobb tuning. I figured there would be less issues with intermediate support and shipping. I'd heard good things about their support team and it made sense. And what basically amounted to overnight shipping for that instant gratification snap.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #15
To you as well by he looks of things. Oh to have an ST in California. I would be in heaven I think

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome aboard.