Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Video guide for cleaning and conditioning your Recaro seats without damaging your cloth.

I had planned to publish this Saturday morning, but darned if I didn't really like how it turned out. It'll cost a few views but that's a secondary concern.

I've been looking at my seats with trepidation, and wanted to produce a small video guide for those of you who condition your leather or work with your seats in any detailing capacity. Our seats are extremely unique in that they mix materials in a way I haven't seen before.

I think you will really enjoy the video. It was fun to produce and worth the effort if it helps anyone. Shattered my poor iPad during the process, too so you could totally sympathy view. And, feel free to skip the time lapses if you want, but they add something to it.

If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comments on Youtube or here, and I'll do my best to clarify anything I've said or add some context for the choices I've made.

Have a wonderful Friday!

[video=youtube;bpBpnRXZTmw]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBpnRXZTmw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'd rather take some care when I'm conditioning my leather than apply tape. I noticed you did not tape the rear seats before conditioning the leather.Other than the tape, good tips on how to perform this task.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have microfiber gloves dedicated for waxing/polishing wheels but had never really thought about using any like this for some reason. I like it; good video.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #5
I don't think on the whole that taping precludes taking care. it's very difficult to get right down to the borderline without potentially crossing over onto the cloth inserts on the front seats, especially with deep bolsters. I guess it just depends on what your tolerance for mistakes is. Another option might be a foam wedge of some kind, which now that I think about I might have to try.

If you played through, you can see that I did not tape the rear seats. Twofold rationale: It was going so well I figured I would try. And, the rear seats aren't as* deeply bolstered or seen as often. So if there were an error, I'd be less inclined to lose my mind.

Thanks!

I'd rather take some care when I'm conditioning my leather than apply tape. I noticed you did not tape the rear seats before conditioning the leather.Other than the tape, good tips on how to perform this task.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #6
I saw them at Canadian Tire and the wheels started turning. They're really an intuitive product for something like this. And they are lined so your hands don't get all chemical laden.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #7
Wow very thorough detailing! Thanks for the video!
My pleasure and you are welcome. I know that it's sort of a real extreme set of things to do, but my goodness the results just look stellar. In the light of day it's like driving a whole new car again.

I used Scotchgard Auto Interior Fabric Protector on the cloth portion of the Recaro seats. FYI, there was no masking necessary, any overspray wiped of the leather without staining as long as you don?t let it dry.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #9
I used Scotchgard Auto Interior Fabric Protector on the cloth portion of the Recaro seats. FYI, there was no masking necessary, any overspray wiped of the leather without staining as long as you don?t let it dry.
I did the guard as well, first thing. Best choice ever. I actually jumped into my car the other day with a glob of RTV stuck to me. The guard probably saved me a very unfortunate incident.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Nice video. I will go look for the gloves. I suspect they would also help for the vinyl protection application, especially around the windows.

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #11
Nice video. I will go look for the gloves. I suspect they would also help for the vinyl protection application, especially around the windows.
Guaranteed. I also, as an addendum to the video, had to do some small touchups. What I like about these is that the microfibre terminates mid radius on your finger, so if you are careful, you can line up the split between the microfibre and the top section, wipe accordingly and *still* not hit your cloth even untaped.

I need to, semi on topic, find a treatment for the exterior vinyl. It is fading in four months in ways the Dart never did in two years.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #14
Confirmed to both of you. Back to Black... I've always seen it, never tried it. Going to have to get comfortable with it being around if this keeps up.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I had planned to publish this Saturday morning, but darned if I didn't really like how it turned out. It'll cost a few views but that's a secondary concern.

I've been looking at my seats with trepidation, and wanted to produce a small video guide for those of you who condition your leather or work with your seats in any detailing capacity. Our seats are extremely unique in that they mix materials in a way I haven't seen before.

I think you will really enjoy the video. It was fun to produce and worth the effort if it helps anyone. Shattered my poor iPad during the process, too so you could totally sympathy view. And, feel free to skip the time lapses if you want, but they add something to it.

If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comments on Youtube or here, and I'll do my best to clarify anything I've said or add some context for the choices I've made.

Have a wonderful Friday!

[video=youtube;bpBpnRXZTmw]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpBpnRXZTmw&feature=youtu.be[/video]
I get invalid URL

Nice tutorial man, makes me feel a little guilty about how little I've done for the interior of my past cars. By the way, i recognize that bristle brush, came in a bike cleaning kit right?

OP
opusmonday
Thread Starter #18
Thanks! I save all my detailing for the ST. The SHO gets copious neglect to make up for it ;)

I think you are right about where that brush came from. Can't verify but I bet it would be a good place to find one.

Question because I'm at work and cant watch, but do you go into detail on how to was/protect the cloth part of the Recaro?

Anyone tried the Smartwax Professional Fabric Guard, or heard from anyone who has used it? Got a deal on it from my old employer so I figured why not. Seems to promise the same things as Scotchguard.