Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Squeak coming off turbo?

Sounds like the stock bypass valve to me. Add a boomba spacer and you will hear it even more.
My squeak came after I installed the Boomba BOV. At first I thought it was a piston and was kinda freaking out, but after time I noticed it usually squeaked as the turbo valve was closing.

I'm also curious what is going on exactly. I am stage 1, BOV, air filter for reference.

It is most likely due to the size of the turbo. The electronic bypass valve stays open for a short amount of time after it lets off. You could potentially have your turbo begin to go into boost state rather than vacuum state while the bypass valve is still open. With air starting to flow out in the boost state, it closes and that's the gasp of air trying to get out as the valve closes. I would assume that if you were to go to a vacuum operated bypass or blow off valve, you would no longer hear this.

I just assumed the diverter valve was having a harder time dealing with the extra boost created from the tune. I noticed it immediately after installing the stage 1 cobb tune with my injen intake.

OP
C
Thread Starter #26
so I'm guessing at this point... no one is 100% sure what it is and what we need to do to fix it? Does anyone want me to post some more audio clips?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I had yo delete over 200 inbox and sent messages, but I'm good now :)
Its not very quick to do in tapa-talk...

so I'm guessing at this point... no one is 100% sure what it is and what we need to do to fix it? Does anyone want me to post some more audio clips?
The most common thread here is that it's coming from the DV. the reason the DV is causing a squeak is a bit of a mystery until you start doing more tests. it could be sticking causing a boost surge, it could be leaking like a balloon with a hole in it. It may just be a lot of air rushing out a small opening, causing it to whistle when it opens. regardless of why the DV is squeaking, pretty much everyone is leaning towards the DV being your issue, or at least it should be your first stop.

I've been listening more closely to the squeak. I actually think it may be caused by the diverter valve not opening and escaping through the wastegate. I've gotten it to flutter under high boost a couple of times. With the size of our turbo and wastegate, it easily could make it more of a squeak.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I've been listening more closely to the squeak. I actually think it may be caused by the diverter valve not opening and escaping through the wastegate. I've gotten it to flutter under high boost a couple of times. With the size of our turbo and wastegate, it easily could make it more of a squeak.
The DV and WG are on opposite sides of the turbo, so air cannot escape from one into the other.

If the diverter valve doesn't open to let the pressure escape, it has to exit somewhere usually that backs up to the wastegate and you'll get a chirp and flutter when it happens. I'm thinking since our turbo and wastegate is so small it sounds like a squeak.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
If the diverter valve doesn't open to let the pressure escape, it has to exit somewhere usually that backs up to the wastegate and you'll get a chirp and flutter when it happens. I'm thinking since our turbo and wastegate is so small it sounds like a squeak.
It can't back up to the wastegate without going through the engine is what I'm saying. They are on different sides of the turbo. If it backs up anywhere it's through the compressor and back out the intake inlet-not exhaust.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It can't back up to the wastegate without going through the engine is what I'm saying. They are on different sides of the turbo. If it backs up anywhere it's through the compressor and back out the intake inlet-not exhaust.
I wish I could like this on Tapatalk. This is called surge (or as some call it, bark), everyone.

I wish I could like this on Tapatalk. This is called surge (or as some call it, bark), everyone.
which we already discussed... it is easily recognized as a spike in manifold pressure, as long as that can be monitored, which , as it happens, is pretty easy.

Heres the video of mine doing it.. I can do it if I build boost up slowly until around 19psi or so and then let off.

[video=youtube;35JGLNjfmbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JGLNjfmbk[/video]

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
which we already discussed... it is easily recognized as a spike in manifold pressure, as long as that can be monitored, which , as it happens, is pretty easy.
Yep, yep. I wasn't quoting him to invoke any negativity about our discussion. Only to highlight that the more people that realize this, the better.