Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Blanket

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Are these 'blankies' all but impossible to install without a full removal of the factory snail, or just so difficult that you might as well remove it to get this on it without looking like you went 100 rounds with a Wolverine? [dunno]

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Well, I see it as just removing it and installing once as my goal... same with the DP heat wrap, there isn’t much of it so why not just take it out with the turbo and install comfortably on a bench.

If you pull the intake out, and the plastic shroud over the intake out (headlights and wipers off first)... you can put a huge blanket on top of your engine and lay on that, just pull the engine cover off first. Looking at the turbo on my desk right now, and it might be better to just get 1" lava wrap and wrap that whole thing. Not too difficult like that, assuming you don't have access to a lift. I am considering wrapping over the exposed section of my turbo, the downpipe connections, and the top half of the turbo just as long as I stop before the cat. Wrapping the cat would be bad.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Just wrapped my downpipe and installed the turbo blanket - no way you can do this (properly) without removing the turbo as looping the safety wire around and securing the blanket was a pain in the butt!

I'm a slow worker (stupid back...) and so this has taken me some time to get done (lots of breaks) but the car was in for maintenance anyways so why not get it all done at once! I hope it's worth the effort - I should be driving the car again today or tomorrow.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just wrapped my downpipe and installed the turbo blanket - no way you can do this (properly) without removing the turbo as looping the safety wire around and securing the blanket was a pain in the butt!

I'm a slow worker (stupid back...) and so this has taken me some time to get done (lots of breaks) but the car was in for maintenance anyways so why not get it all done at once! I hope it's worth the effort - I should be driving the car again today or tomorrow.
Did you use wire or a spring? To hold the blanket on? I've been looking for springs....possibly titanium or stainless to resist the elements better.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Benjammer

Newb Question

Wouldn't a turbo blanket insulate the turbo or whatever you're wrapping keeping the engine temps lower, but the turbo or whatever is wrapped temps much hotter?
I would think it would increase the chance of whatever is wrapped to fail. No?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wouldn't a turbo blanket insulate the turbo or whatever you're wrapping keeping the engine temps lower, but the turbo or whatever is wrapped temps much hotter?
I would think it would increase the chance of whatever is wrapped to fail. No?
https://youtu.be/FrFeaNGDnOk

Watch this video

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Did you use wire or a spring? To hold the blanket on? I've been looking for springs....possibly titanium or stainless to resist the elements better.

Supplied wire on the blanket - I wrapped the wire around the actual blanket a few times to keep it snug against the exhaust manifold and the WGA out of the way. The stainless still 'zip ties' provided worked well for the downpipe wrap - I just used some adhesive glue to get one end stuck to the pipe and then wrapped around it a whole bunch. Top it off by doubling back the wrap and putting the ties on it and it should be good to go! I'll post up some pictures today.

Back to the blanket. Wow - drove the car last night for the first time since the oil change and blanket install and all I can say is wow.

The throttle surging was basically removed from the tune I had previous but due to the fact the turbo spools much quicker the surge is back! Might have to get a revised tune if I can't handle the surging... Also hit a new peak boost value of 27.02psi which is a tad high for my liking... I'll be keeping tabs

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Supplied wire on the blanket - I wrapped the wire around the actual blanket a few times to keep it snug against the exhaust manifold and the WGA out of the way. The stainless still 'zip ties' provided worked well for the downpipe wrap - I just used some adhesive glue to get one end stuck to the pipe and then wrapped around it a whole bunch. Top it off by doubling back the wrap and putting the ties on it and it should be good to go! I'll post up some pictures today.

Back to the blanket. Wow - drove the car last night for the first time since the oil change and blanket install and all I can say is wow.

The throttle surging was basically removed from the tune I had previous but due to the fact the turbo spools much quicker the surge is back! Might have to get a revised tune if I can't handle the surging... Also hit a new peak boost value of 27.02psi which is a tad high for my liking... I'll be keeping tabs
I'm getting my exhuast ceramic coated...no wrap here....I've seen and learned my lesson about wrapping exhaust. I will coat mine all the way to the tips.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
What is your reasoning for not wrapping the exhaust? Are you speaking of coating the entire exhaust, cat-back and all? I'm considering wrapping the exhaust after the downpipe but don't know if the benefit would be worth it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What is your reasoning for not wrapping the exhaust? Are you speaking of coating the entire exhaust, cat-back and all? I'm considering wrapping the exhaust after the downpipe but don't know if the benefit would be worth it.
I'm coating all the way down the pipe ....but not the cat....I'm leaving the tips so you wouldn't be able to tell unless your under the car. I dont wrap due to road debris catching on exhaust and possible oil leaks contaminating the wrap and causing a car-B-que....I've seen it happen...wish I still had a picture of it of fire after my buddies car developed and oil leak and started the wrap on fire....luckily he had an extinguisher to put it out quickly...but it still melted a bunch of engine harness.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'm coating all the way down the pipe ....but not the cat....I'm leaving the tips so you wouldn't be able to tell unless your under the car. I dont wrap due to road debris catching on exhaust and possible oil leaks contaminating the wrap and causing a car-B-que....I've seen it happen...wish I still had a picture of it of fire after my buddies car developed and oil leak and started the wrap on fire....luckily he had an extinguisher to put it out quickly...but it still melted a bunch of engine harness.

Ah yes - thanks for the reminder to mount up my fire extinguisher.

I'm hoping that the DP is removed enough from road debris that the wrap doesn't get beat up and also hoping that the oil lines never leak.... gonna have to keep close tabs on all that but thankfully with a stock turbo housing the geometry SHOULD be correct and there shouldn't be wear from vibration.

After doing some thinking it seems obvious that the higher exhaust gas temperature results in a higher flow velocity through the turbo which in turn results in the quicker spool time. After watching the Donut Media on Aerodynamics I've learned hot air moves faster generally so this great for turbo spool!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ah yes - thanks for the reminder to mount up my fire extinguisher.

I'm hoping that the DP is removed enough from road debris that the wrap doesn't get beat up and also hoping that the oil lines never leak.... gonna have to keep close tabs on all that but thankfully with a stock turbo housing the geometry SHOULD be correct and there shouldn't be wear from vibration.

After doing some thinking it seems obvious that the higher exhaust gas temperature results in a higher flow velocity through the turbo which in turn results in the quicker spool time. After watching the Donut Media on Aerodynamics I've learned hot air moves faster generally so this great for turbo spool!
That's why I try to retain the heat in that area....I will take temp readings of the exhaust surface without the ceramic paint and with just for shits and for posterity of information for future owners!

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm getting my exhuast ceramic coated...no wrap here....I've seen and learned my lesson about wrapping exhaust. I will coat mine all the way to the tips.
I will DEFINITELY get any aftermarket turbo I ever get in the future Cerakoted, and also IF I ever change out my CP-E cat back, the replacement will also get fully Cerakoted as well (I like the looks of this coating even on the tailpipe/tips, which is the only place I have it now for aesthetic reasons only).

(I am now sorry that I did not do the WHOLE Nexus system BEFORE first installing it onto the car, as I am not now going to put the factory system back on just to be able to remove and Cerakote the CP-E system. :( )

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I see you have a Aftermarket actuator...how did you go about setting the pre-load on the wastegate? I have a Garrett and I'm just gonna leave it with the stock garret actuator and not ding with it.[raceflag]
The most accurate way possible! Guessed! Ha!

I'm a noob when it comes to turbos and so I didn't preload it nearly enough when I first installed it, took apart the stock one and realized it had A LOT more preload on it that I had applied to the Turbosmart option. I just torqued it down to as close as I could get to the stock option... There is probably a scientific method out there but this worked for me.