Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CG's daily fun ride

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #261
Hey, CG!
I seem to recall last year you went with EZ Lip for the winter, figuring that you would have to take a regular splitter off every winter. It looks like you left the Mountune splitter on this year. While I know we didn't get much snow this winter (you probably got more than we did in Ancaster), do you think it's OK to leave it on year-round now?
Ya I have the setup to quickly release and remove the spliter but did not do it. It got some paint chips off as the road sand and salt was horrendous. That said it was fine for me this winter and I had quite a lot of snow in my area. It is not the lowest part part of the car. It will accumulate snow but that does not really impact anything. But if you hit ice it can be damaged it and I saw a local chap with his fost did have that problem. I will likely plastidip the spliter this summer.

Loving the Fereral 595 RS-R.
Been a fun few days with well over 500km of driving in either dry warm roads or torrential downpour. In dry conditions I cannot make them break or slip on the road. That is turns( fast or right hand into traffic) and straight drag. Trust me I tried as much as I could safely. In wet they can be made to slip in a sharp high speed corner but that is to be expected.

Straight line had no issues pulling from stop or any gear unless stooped at a light with lots of standing water on the painted lines. In normal puddles I did not notice any sign of hydroplanning. That said I would not push them in rain weather anyway but good to know they can take it is required to do an evasive maneuver. Note they throw a very thick fine mist behind you. Much more than my winters.

Road noise is not too bad. On highway you can hear them but much less than a winter.

Therefore unless they wear out insanely fast (less then a season) or if they get significantly worse as they wear I would highly recommend these for the value and if you want to put power to the road. 215/40R17 are the size I have.
For track I cannot say how much heat they can take but from what I read they can take quite a lot.

View attachment 14035
Have you heard how well the federals wear? they seem like a solid tire

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #263
Have you heard how well the federals wear? they seem like a solid tire
Just from reviews which rate them above average but I take that with a grain of salt. I can say they lasted a week. Lol. I will keep an eye on them and rotate them every oil change. I think they will last two seasons for me but even if they don't and they continue to perform well they would be considered a great tyre by my standards for a sticky daily tyre.

Just from reviews which rate them above average but I take that with a grain of salt. I can say they lasted a week. Lol. I will keep an eye on them and rotate them every oil change. I think they will last two seasons for me but even if they don't and they continue to perform well they would be considered a great tyre by my standards for a sticky daily tyre.
I guess with a certain driving style there aren't many tires that'll last too long haha.
Hopefully by the time i need new tires youll have a good idea of the wear on them.
thanks

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #265
April 14th 2017

Did all four corner brake job. Very easy vehicle to work on for brakes. Both top slider pins on the rear calipers were rusted. Cleaned them up and added silicon lube in the boot where it attaches to the boot. Will keep an eye on it. Now to drive like a normal adult for the next 2 weeks to bed the pads before heat soaking them.

8DB58E1B-6B63-49A7-A4E3-AA3BC2DB8A4C.jpg
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Can you walk me through your choice of the EBC Redstuff pads? I have been doing research and Hawk 5.0's and and maybe Ceramic were sounding good.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #267
Can you walk me through your choice of the EBC Redstuff pads? I have been doing research and Hawk 5.0's and and maybe Ceramic were sounding good.
My process: pick up phone. "Hello, mister vendor what do you have in stock for brake pads that are the same type front and back?" To be honest I did not do too much research. I wanted something ceramic for less dust, Hawk make some good ones but could not find a front and rear same grade (easily), was debating Power Stop Z23, Hawk HPS or at worse stick with stock. Saw a bloke on youtube running these on his Fiesta in the UK and at the same time RaptorRacing had a sale on so I picked them up. The EBC are very popular in the UK(they are made locally there) and since the fiesta is very popular their I figure they know what they are doing. Their breaking period is much different then others. Basically drive normal/careful (no emergency stop) for 1000 miles (do not use ebrake, try not to leave full pressure at stops) and then do the 60mph to 20 4-5 times cool and repeat. So you don't bake them until they match up to the rotors. They feel good now (light to medium stops), can't wait to see how quick they can really stop. The price will put people off as the are 10-20 more than most other manufacturers. I will let you know if there is a reason.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #268
My process: pick up phone. "Hello, mister vendor what do you have in stock for brake pads that are the same type front and back?" To be honest I did not do too much research. I wanted something ceramic for less dust, Hawk make some good ones but could not find a front and rear same grade (easily), was debating Power Stop Z23, Hawk HPS or at worse stick with stock. Saw a bloke on youtube running these on his Fiesta in the UK and at the same time RaptorRacing had a sale on so I picked them up. The EBC are very popular in the UK(they are made locally there) and since the fiesta is very popular their I figure they know what they are doing. Their breaking period is much different then others. Basically drive normal/careful (no emergency stop) for 1000 miles (do not use ebrake, try not to leave full pressure at stops) and then do the 60mph to 20 4-5 times cool and repeat. So you don't bake them until they match up to the rotors. They feel good now (light to medium stops), can't wait to see how quick they can really stop. The price will put people off as the are 10-20 more than most other manufacturers. I will let you know if there is a reason.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think I'm going to go with those same rotors for my first change, but use G-Loc street/autocross level pads, and try the Torque RT700 fluid (ALL of the racing level stuff should be flushed out once a year anyway).

I was considering the Hawk Quiet Slots, but I have not heard enough about them yet (reviews, etc.).

Haven't decided on stainless lines yet, they're all pretty good, but I'm leaning towards Goodridge.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #271
I think I'm going to go with those same rotors for my first change, but use G-Loc street/autocross level pads, and try the Torque RT700 fluid (ALL of the racing level stuff should be flushed out once a year anyway).

I was considering the Hawk Quiet Slots, but I have not heard enough about them yet (reviews, etc.).

Haven't decided on stainless lines yet, they're all pretty good, but I'm leaning towards Goodridge.
Brake lines are more cosmetic until the car get old and the rubber may start to crack. But if you are doing a fluid flush the motel 600 made a difference and while you are at it why not do lines. Thus way your original lines don't seize in place.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #274
April 18th 2017

Finally got it. All the free cameras form ebay arrived faster than this. Now to enable the black screen when reversing
18010174_1168117396648199_1602268100950644035_n.jpg

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #275
April 22nd 2017 - Reverse camera FINALLY

Using the Forscan software I was able to activate the reverse camera feature of the Sync unit. Connected an eBay $30 licence camera camera and could not be happier. It took about 4 hours. but that was due to me re-verifying the cabling/connection at every stage and taking my time. Taking the trim from the interior and exterior of the hatch was actually very easy. to make your life easier find a stiff 1/4" tube about 2 feet. Helps guide wire without scratching. I wired the camera power to the reverse light (easy to pick up the power is the hatch) and since the camera has a built in light for the licence plate I destroyed a LED light and used it to wedge the wires in. Using a liberal amount of silicon grease to keep moisture away. To pass the cables into the hatch I cut a slit in the plug removed some material and greased it up to prevent moisture to get in. To be honest there are tons of other holes so water does get in. I used the driver side rubber channel that I have used before for getting the wires into the main body (that channel is now full). Used the same trick of large blunt screw driver and lots of plastic safe grease. Fed the wires in the dash (again with the tube) and closed everything up. When using the forscan software before the camera is connected it does take almost a minute to detect it is not working so be patient.

IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #276
April 23rd - Wing hole plugs

For those that don't like the holes when using a wing riser kit a 2 1/4 npt plug is just about the right size. Soft enough to easily cut and drill a hole to pass the wire. Now if you have not cut your wire to install a 3rd light flasher you will need a bigger hole or cut a slot to push the wire in. Also put the hole to one side as the tube and wires are not dead center. To be honest this is not required as the holes are there before the riser anyway. If you do this make sure to have long needle nose to drag (carefully) the wire and hose while you push.

18057781_1173895976070341_2191723807276687795_n.jpg
18010595_1173895992737006_7632295153669943573_n.jpg
18119206_1173896006070338_5333092658854642403_n.jpg
18034209_1173896009403671_3994009148883402059_n.jpg
18058084_1173896049403667_6533624378643076531_n.jpg
17991799_1173896026070336_7598145674851859105_n.jpg

jeff

2000 Post Club
Another big thanks for these posts CG.........I just installed my wing risers a couple of days ago, those huge holes bothered me and I was planning on finding a fix but you beat me to it. Save me some time - where did you get those plugs?

Love the rear camera.....that's low on my priority list considering results for time/money spent, but I've always wondered why the SE gets one and not us. Kudos to you for engineering this good man!

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #278
Another big thanks for these posts CG.........I just installed my wing risers a couple of days ago, those huge holes bothered me and I was planning on finding a fix but you beat me to it. Save me some time - where did you get those plugs?

Love the rear camera.....that's low on my priority list considering results for time/money spent, but I've always wondered why the SE gets one and not us. Kudos to you for engineering this good man!
Got the plugs from McMaster Carr. Took a while of searching.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #279
May 12th

Installed the Velossa Tech rear diffuser fins. Plastidipped them black as the orange did not tickle my fancy. Overall easy to install and I like the look, picture does not do them justice.