Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountunes New High Performance Brake Pads

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It is best to use a proper bedding in technique instead of having the rotors turned, this is the proper way to get new pads ready to run as it transfers pad material to the rotors, just find a safe place to do it.

http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPadBedTip.aspx

---------

I love Carbotech pads but not the rivets as less pad life than well made bonded pads, they have made custom pads and over night shipping to me so I could make it to a race.....custom pads delivered in two days!

---------

For those with stock brakes it seems the Mountune track pads might be a great value which is hopefully going to be the case:)
I have used a lot of Hawk pads, street, track and even on my last Duramax and V8 4Runner, loved them!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
It is best to use a proper bedding in technique instead of having the rotors turned, this is the proper way to get new pads ready to run as it transfers pad material to the rotors, just find a safe place to do it.

http://www.wilwood.com/TechTip/TechPadBedTip.aspx

---------

I love Carbotech pads but not the rivets as less pad life than well made bonded pads, they have made custom pads and over night shipping to me so I could make it to a race.....custom pads delivered in two days!

---------

For those with stock brakes it seems the Mountune track pads might be a great value which is hopefully going to be the case:)
I have used a lot of Hawk pads, street, track and even on my last Duramax and V8 4Runner, loved them!
Is it not wise to turn the rotors AND bed the brakes?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #23
I ordered these a few days ago...the RS-Rs front and rear. I should have them this week to try out.
Hey Roger!

Look forward to hearing your impressions on these after installed...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Not needed at all, in fact hardly ever do rotors need turned even if grooved a bit as new pads will wear to fit the grooves but still have most all the contact right away.

Rotors also hardly ever warp, they get pad build up from getting them really hot and stopping then keeping the pedal depressed which causes the pulsing most think is warped rotors, usually some aggressive brake use will clean them up but I have had to use steel wool and brake cleaner a few times.

Brake shops are one of the worst rip off businesses in the auto industry, not all of course but the majority are taking advantage of lack of knowledge and using scare tactics for unneeded work when pads and maybe on occasion sliders need cleaned and lubed or calipers rebuilt.

I have driven at least a million miles and hundreds of thousands of those at speed, I have had one set of rotors turned ever and that was before I knew better, stock brakes to $8k race setup, dozens of vehicles, many BBKs, just so you know I have a bit of an idea about this stuff:)

will DEFINITELY have to check these out when it comes time for new pads. Glad there is an option!

kevinatfms

Overpriced version of the HP and HPS pads. Why people think they are some special compound by Mountune baffles me.

kevinatfms

Can you prove otherwise?
If Mountune and Hawk would spill the specific formulas? Yes. But we all know its more than likely "proprietary" information. Either way, support Mountune. Ford spent alot of dough bringing them over to the states.

If Mountune and Hawk would spill the specific formulas? Yes. But we all know its more than likely "proprietary" information. Either way, support Mountune. Ford spent alot of dough bringing them over to the states.
never thought about that. That's a fair assessment. well said.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Can someone break down why Mountune's brake pads are over-priced? Pads that seem to be available are online vendors seem to be in the same price range, but multiple people think they are over-priced Hawk pads. So, I'm assuming that I'm missing something.

Would love to see some real-world info regarding their comparison to stock pads and the brake dust amount.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Would love to see some real-world info regarding their comparison to stock pads and the brake dust amount.
I will...lol. Once I get time to do the brake job. Should be within the next couple of weeks. The mountune pads have been just chilling on my desk since I got them. I will be doing oil/ filter, plugs, tranny fluid and pads at the same time :)

rexdriver85

I will...lol. Once I get time to do the brake job. Should be within the next couple of weeks. The mountune pads have been just chilling on my desk since I got them. I will be doing oil/ filter, plugs, tranny fluid and pads at the same time :)
I am also definitely anxious to see the performance vs. dust comparison. Hurry! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]

This was how much the Iron-X reacted with the stock pads after only about 100 miles of driving. They were horrible lol.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
It's gonna be a little bit....mountune sent me an email and called me to send the fronts that I received back. They apparently were the wrong ones. So, mountune sent me a return Fedex shipping invoice and I sent the fronts that I had to them. I'm now waiting for them to send me the correct ones.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I only need the rear ones. Send yours to me and tell Mountune to send you a full set for the hassle, lol.

Can someone break down why Mountune's brake pads are over-priced? Pads that seem to be available are online vendors seem to be in the same price range, but multiple people think they are over-priced Hawk pads. So, I'm assuming that I'm missing something.
Kinda the same question here...I stumbled on to this thread via search thinking it was ancient. Mod bargains has the set of these for like 162 shipped, Hawks look like their right around the same spot, maybe a few bucks less.