Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Carbon Fiber Hood - in stock $595

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

Have you weighed it verses a stock hood? How much of a weight savings does it provide. Though the look alone is pretty badass!

meFiSTo

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #16
Nice! I wasnt aware of these two. I assume they could help.. even if a little bit. Probably the biggest gain is in reducing front end lift

meFiSTo

Nice! I wasnt aware of these two. I assume they could help.. even if a little bit. Probably the biggest gain is in reducing front end lift
Hey thanks for that thought. I've posted the following link in another thread on this forum regarding vented hoods. It has some comments on suggested lift effects, vent location, and results from a VERY small scale test.

Link: Bimmerforums posting about vented hoods

(raamaudio comments in this tread back in 2013...hah)

The one guy who did some testing suggested that placing the extractors as far forward as makes sense probably has the most positive overall effects. However, there are possible negatives associated with reducing overall airflow throughout the engine bay.

Hey thanks for that thought. I've posted the following link in another thread on this forum regarding vented hoods. It has some comments on suggested lift effects, vent location, and results from a VERY small scale test.

Link: Bimmerforums posting about vented hoods

(raamaudio comments in this tread back in 2013...hah)

The one guy who did some testing suggested that placing the extractors as far forward as makes sense probably has the most positive overall effects. However, there are possible negatives associated with reducing overall airflow throughout the engine bay.
I was told the RS vents if not flush cause drag idk if thats true at all

meFiSTo

I was told the RS vents if not flush cause drag idk if thats true at all
Aerodynamics is s funny thing. I have no background in it whatsoever and the things I've done have been gross effort at best. I've had a little luck, but that's probably what it is, luck combined with some common sense -- if that can actually be applied. It's strange how bumps in certain spots will break up a trailing vortex, while smooth area in others exacerbate drag, or worse, create lift. Then, applying downforce in one area might make another area lighter, changing handling in unexpected (or at least unintended ways). That's why I'd never put a legit (upside down) wing on a car without some kind of functional splitter/tray on the nose. But I have no way of calculating the right combination. It would all be seat of the pants. I have observed positive effects for that combination on a momentum car, but I'd NEVER mess with a truly FAST, high powered car with DIY or general-purpose stuff.

Anyway, back to the point of the vents. Who knows regarding tradeoffs, but all these considerations play into why I'm still on the fence. The original Seibon heat extractor version (referred to as "TM-Style" on their site) looks like it might do the right thing (draw heat directly out of the radiator).

Bonus point: Anyone know what they are referring to with the "TM-Style" model naming?