Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

For those that bought the nav....

would you purchase navigation second time around.

• Total voters

31B

Like everyone said, I was using Google maps before. Honestly Nav isn't that bad and is more convenient.

whozatHD

I have it in my 2015 FiST, love having it but I generally like "all" available options on my cars.. Big disappointment is there is no BACKUP Cam even with the NAV unit. Ford screwed us big time on that option. Shame on Ford.

I was thinking of this post the other day when I used my Nav to get to a clients house. It really is awesome. Case in point I live in Phx AZ and was driving on the I-17 going north up towards Flagstaff on the Nav it showed on the screen a overhead sign that said Flagstaff. I was shocked and very happy that it is so detailed. I am very happy with the cars nav but whozatHD is right it does suck that the 2015 don't come with backup cameras. I really wish they would have added that for the upgrade Nav set up. I drive 25K miles a year from clients home to clients home so its nice to have the nav give me the directions

GAbOS

The nav is very good and I dig the little things, like even on the main screen, you always know what road you are on!

Mine was included in a fully loaded FiST that I negotiated down to the price I was willing to pay. I don't think I would order it from the factory but I wouldn't have them remove it either.

If you do get it see if the will give you the latest SD card. Mine came with and A5 and the dealer swapped it out with an A6.

I have never had a use for a nav or gps, as I like to think I am a human gps. But since my Fist came with it, I might as well get comfortable with it. I have used it for my more spirited drives as a sort of co-pilot or to find a faster route around traffic or accidents around here, which have gone up considerably in the past few months. But for daily drives it is much faster for me to just jump in the car and go without plugging stuff in and having a robot voice telling me to go places I already know how to get to. If I had a choice I would not have ever considered it and probably will not in the future unless the tech becomes so advanced it can point out people who are utilizing a mobile device/driving under the influence (so I can avoid them like the plague), provide a system that shows a bird's eye view in real time around my car so I can plan moves if need be, and predict signal lights so I can always hit the green lights. So I need radar as Navigation. [hihi]

I forgot one of my favorite parts of the GPS is just turning on the active map at max zoom. I was in the mountains around WV/NC/VA borders and used it as kind of a guide to see what twistys were coming up ahead and to judge how sharp blind corners were. It worked really excellently for it!

In my personal opinion I find it to be not very user friendly and slow and clunky to input a destination via touchscreen. But I will say once you have it dialed in its great. Especially driving highway it shows the exit signs a nice visual to avoid that second guessing cutting across 3 lanes of traffic to make your exit. Also I didn't pay for my navigation system. I told the dealer I didn't want or need it and they needed to find me a car without it. They couldn't locate one in 500 miles so the took it off the sales price [grinking]. In all the navigation works great . Just wish it wasn't so clunky via touchscreen.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have to sat the navigation was a great option for me. I use it all the time for work because im all over the place.

In my ZX2 I had a hardwired Garmin suctioned to the windshield that turned on with the car. Didn't use it a lot for navigation, but if I did need it on the fly, it was right there for me. Having it right away was nice, having it suctioned to the windshield was not. The suction lost it's suction a lot and it fell off often. Plus it doesn't look that great to me having an extra accessory hanging from the windshield. I'd rather have everything integrated and that's why I ordered mine with nav. Whether or not it was worth the cost remains to be seen as I'm picking up my car today.

MPA

I always use my phone for GPS, so the $795 was too much for me. The downside is I'm stuck listening to media off the phone while using a map app.

If it was $250 I probably would've added it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
My wife thought I was a bit nuts when complaining how slow and how far off the NAV is when I answer what is asks, not finding destinations, etc...until she tried it, very retarded voice command system to say the least!

I can use Google maps on my phone with two inputs and then saying the destination and it get's it 99% of the time the first try and off I go in moments.

We only use the stock NAV as a map we can reference as a much bigger screen than the S4 Mini phones we carry.

Anybody here able to use the voice commands while driving effectively and not take so long you end up past where you need to turn off at half the time?

Rick

My wife thought I was a bit nuts when complaining how slow and how far off the NAV is when I answer what is asks, not finding destinations, etc...until she tried it, very retarded voice command system to say the least!

I can use Google maps on my phone with two inputs and then saying the destination and it get's it 99% of the time the first try and off I go in moments.

We only use the stock NAV as a map we can reference as a much bigger screen than the S4 Mini phones we carry.

Anybody here able to use the voice commands while driving effectively and not take so long you end up past where you need to turn off at half the time?

Rick
'Navigation destination street address' is the command that prompts to input a street address within the same state, it's pretty efficient for me.

Now that I've had my car a week I've used the navigation twice. This is the Sync 3 system and I've never actually used the MFT navigation to navigate so I don't know what is different between the two. Not knowing the voice commands or having time to learn them yet I had to use the touchscreen to input the info. I had a brain fart and typed in ave instead of pkwy and my Garmin would normally give me suggestions if I was dumb, but this just says not found. So it's not perfect. It found it fine when I retyped it correctly. I do like that it's integrated into the car though, so it gives you voice directions through the speakers and turns down the music so you can hear. I keep the Sync 3 system on the home screen a lot so that I can see the map even when I have no destination set. The whole left half of the home screen is map, then the right half is audio stuff and phone.

Last time I used it, it took me to the other side of the highway. It doesn't understand English and you do have to have some idea of where you're going first. Some destinations are not on the map. I do like looking at the map and its great when it works as it should.

Question: when you specify a house number e.g. 8617, do you say eighty six seventeen or eight six one seven? Fifty or five zero or 5 oh?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Question: when you specify a house number e.g. 8617, do you say eighty six seventeen or eight six one seven? Fifty or five zero or 5 oh?

I have found that it understands better if you speak the numbers individually.
Also I use zero, not oh.

Dave

Mine was already built in and wanted it.But it's been a hassle just trying to enter destination verbally or by typing it in.No wouldn't 2nd time around.

Mine was already built in and wanted it.But it's been a hassle just trying to enter destination verbally or by typing it in.No wouldn't 2nd time around.
Not wanting built in nav and a sunroof is why I went afar to get my car.