Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

For those that bought the nav....

would you purchase navigation second time around.

• Total voters
The street, location and traffic data is just not as good as Google's. I make maps for a living and Google's street data is the best in the industry. And no, I don't work for Google. You are going to find missing streets, get routed to the wrong side or wrong end of the street and not be able to find some addresses more often with the built-in nav. It does work, just don't expect it to be as good as Google at finding places. I have the nav but I still use Google Maps on my phone and just play the sound through the car audio system so I can hear it better.

One nice thing I found with the built-in nav was that if I'm driving in some place I'm not familiar with and I have the breadcrumb dots turned on, I can follow the dots to get back to the freeway or wherever. Pretty handy actually.

jayrod1980

Don't know how you guys get along with the sync 2 navigation. I literally cancelled my 2015 order when I heard sync 3 would be on the 2016 model. It's still not perfect, but it's more intuitive and faster on the new system than the old one. Just the capacitive display is a big upgrade

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I too use the factory Nav but did not consider the bread crumbs, I just use it as a moving map to help out a bit when using Google maps on my phone, I will have to try the bread crumbs and see if I can also get more use out of a HU I would rather shoot than have in the car.

masonsturbos

i have two views on this, others may have the same. I will use my phone for navigation before i use my phone. Im simply on my phone more and easier to type in a destination. what i do end up using the nav for though, is finding twisties, or if i know the road is twisty, i use it to see what to expect the next couple turns. actually neat to see what direction turn is coming up, especially on blind hills with a tight turn- aint a problem if you know a turn is there. if there were options for me -this was the cheapest fist around my city with nav and sunroof- i probably would have went without.

I'm noticing a few things with the nav now and how it is quite lacking but it may also be with the fact that it's just my iphone connection as a whole. Really I just use it when I have favorites that I want to navigate to. Since it has a tendency to cut out and pandora sometimes doesn't work when it connected through USB.

Hi DaveG99,

When the vehicle is built, it's installed with the latest map version available at the factory.

Shaay

I received an email from Ford for the new Nav database update. Its kinda pricey.... about $150......im curious as to others opinions if they have purchased the update and if its worth it. I find it easier to enter addresses using google or waze.....it can be a real P.I.T.A entering an address on MFT, and sometimes it wont allow me cause its does a predictive entry and many times it doesnt allow me to entry the exact address i want.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great news:(

They sell us a POS system that is a pain in the arse to use and want to charge to update it but not help us out with no back up camera, etc...

I would not waste the money on an upgrade and would gladly swap my system for a none NAV one and a bit of funds for somebody that wants one, if it can be done. I can use my phone ten times easier and faster and more accurately when I want navigation help.

I got the same email.... For $29, ok, I would think for a bit and maybe upgrade, not for $150. Someone in marketing could be a real hero by pricing this low <$30 and getting a lot of sales. At $149 I would bet this does not sell much at all.

I didn't want it originally, but it came with the car they had on the lot. That said, I find it pretty useful, and it's even been more accurate at getting me to my destination than google maps.

One thing to note: the voice command function with the nav is utterly useless. You basically have to type your destination to get it to locate the destination, AND you can only type if your car is stopped.

I wanted it, I got it.
It could have some more features/enhancements; time to dest. and (not just or) eta time, speed, larger print option (so I don't have to put on my cheaters to read it). Now that it's been replaced by Sync it would be futile to expect such.
I find the voice command awesome, using it makes it easier over time.
Easiest way, even while driving:
Push Voice Command, wait for tone, say "navigation".
Responds "navigation", tone, say "Destination, Street Address"
Responds, tone, say "1-2-2-6 (not 12-26), Anystreet, Anytown"
Possible select from list the/otherwise prompts "Push voice command and say "Set as destination". Do it.
Done.
What's so hard?

I wanted the navi. 3 reasons...

I don't like a 800 degree phone.

I prefer integrated electronics, no awkward hanging of my phone anywhere (access-port is an exception).

I was told it works well (experience tells me its only second to Audi MMI maps).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have it also....I found the more you read up on it and use it ....the better it becomes and it's easier to use.

I have Nav. Works well for my needs. And it's very reasonably priced compared to some other manufactures (AHEM, SUBARU, AHEM).

I have had the Sync 3 Nav and used it now a decent amount of times for navigating. For voice it's not easy, or maybe impossible, to just set a city as a destination when all I know is I need to be in the city without a specific place to go or and address on hand. I had to go through typing it in which meant finding a place to pull over. I like that it shows the speed limit of the road you're on. All too often I found myself not knowing the speed limit and it was fairly accurate within a couple feet of a speed limit sign when I saw them. Mine shows estimated time of arrival.

My biggest issue with it is that it's not real smart with some routes. I've taken two trips to Oklahoma and Arkansas down some rural roads. I selected the shortest route which was also the unpaved route and eventually the water crossing route. There was literally a river over the road that 4x4 lifted trucks may be the only ones to pass. I tried to make sure I never selected shortest route again in that area, but on my latest trip I must have because it turned me on another dirt road. For that route it really seemed the fastest was was also the shortest way... You also have to pay attention to where your turn is because it tells you to turn when you are right on top of it. It does warn you when you are close so you can be aware but if it's not a well marked turn it can be easy to miss turns.

Here's my dashcam footage of that particular incident. https://youtu.be/3Joi33IKKtg?t=4m45s

It's still better than having to use your phone or an external GPS unit. I can't stand having to use my phone for GPS when I'm in the company car headed to an on-site. I'm on vacation this coming week and getting a rental. I bought a phone mount so I don't have to hold it, but it's still going to be a pain to have to use my phone for GPS.

grnmachine02

I wanted it, I got it.
It could have some more features/enhancements; time to dest. and (not just or) eta time, speed, larger print option (so I don't have to put on my cheaters to read it). Now that it's been replaced by Sync it would be futile to expect such.
I find the voice command awesome, using it makes it easier over time.
Easiest way, even while driving:
Push Voice Command, wait for tone, say "navigation".
Responds "navigation", tone, say "Destination, Street Address"
Responds, tone, say "1-2-2-6 (not 12-26), Anystreet, Anytown"
Possible select from list the/otherwise prompts "Push voice command and say "Set as destination". Do it.
Done.
What's so hard?

In my experience, it never works. Speaking exactly as you described (sometimes even yelling exactly as you described) it never hears the correct address. Doesn't even come close. Seems as though it has a hard time distinguishing between when the house numbers stop, and the street name begins.

Other than that, I like it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is it practical to add the GPS after the sale? I suspect the necessary internal hardware is already present and it's just a matter of installing the program. Even without Nav, it still shows you a compass, and the 911 assist feature probably uses embedded GPS to transmit location.

I expected to be able to mount my Garmin but have been unable to find a low-profile mount for placing over the cubby-hole in front of the shifter. With a low-profile mount the Garmin GPS would look quite happy there. I don't want anything sitting on the dash or windshield, marring it up and getting roasted in direct sunlight.

Until I find or figure out something for mounting it low, where I want it, this may have to suffice.
https://www.amazon.com/AccessoryBasics-Profile-2457LMT-2558LMTHD-2598LMTHD/dp/B01EW1EBK2/