Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

For those that bought the nav....

would you purchase navigation second time around.

• Total voters
Is it practical to add the GPS after the sale? I suspect the necessary internal hardware is already present and it's just a matter of installing the program. Even without Nav, it still shows you a compass, and the 911 assist feature probably uses embedded GPS to transmit location.

I expected to be able to mount my Garmin but have been unable to find a low-profile mount for placing over the cubby-hole in front of the shifter. With a low-profile mount the Garmin GPS would look quite happy there. I don't want anything sitting on the dash or windshield, marring it up and getting roasted in direct sunlight.

Until I find or figure out something for mounting it low, where I want it, this may have to suffice.
https://www.amazon.com/AccessoryBasics-Profile-2457LMT-2558LMTHD-2598LMTHD/dp/B01EW1EBK2/

To my knowledge no one has been the guinea pig to find out if it's easily swappable. Ford's stance on it is that if it doesn't come with it, you can't put it in afterward. Technically it's the same car so with enough money and the right parts to swap, you can. But at what cost and time consumption? I saved myself the headache and bought my car with the nav.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Got a solution - not even a headache.
I got the Garmin comfortably setup in front of the shifter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLYWA/
Two minutes to put it on.
That came with it's own quality black double-sided tape.
There are other mounting options for that part, such as screws, but with a little rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces, double-sided tape has held over the life of a few devices (about eight years) and really had to work to get the old mounting plate out of the old vehicle. This might hold up similarly but if not, will simply use the same tape I had before.

Glad I didn't spend $800 on the nav option.

LILIKE16ST

I have had my car around 4.5 months now and I have used nav with sync 3 (only option I got outside of black wheels/red calipers) multiple times and I love it. Here are some reasons I did not decide to go without the nav option and use my phone like so many of you do and like I have myself before:
1. the phone gets stupid hot when nav is used over long distances...it's happened to me on more than one several hour trips with the nav on
2. the phone eats the hell out of battery when on long trips going in and out of service and data etc...one time it was to the point where even though the phone was charging the % of my battery life was going down surprisingly quick...again I said THE PHONE WAS HOOKED UP AND CHARGING and yet still draining battery like a mofo between me playing music and having nav going
3. it's much nicer integrated into the car
4. it's much more convenient having the ability to just hit a button on the steering wheel and prompt the nav that way...matter of fact out of the probably 10-12 times I've used it in just over 4 months I have only used it once where I typed it in manually all other times were with the voice commands which work great for me. I'm not sure what everyone is having trouble with when it comes to this? I once was a telemarketer so I learned to speak strongly clearly and with voice inflection maybe by doing that it makes things easier for me...who knows. As long as I speak with volume and relatively slowly and clearly it always understands me perfectly. When I say numbers it does better for me to say the numbers individually as well...never tried it any other way. I paid 21500 for my car out the door after everything which isn't bad considering with my options original sticker was 23. with that being said out of 21 grand I don't see an extra 800 as being that big of a deal. Well worth it to me. Now 2 grand for heavy heated recaro seats which are very tight on my big bottom...now there's one I can't wrap my head around. To each their own. If I wanted seats to hold me in I would go for some lightweight aftermarket ones in the 1000 dollar range you can get some really nice ones that actually fit, a covered in full leather, and look very nice to boot and hold you in better than factory recaros all while ditching weight, not adding it. That's just me though. They are some nice looking seats and I'm sure they hold you in better than my base seats for those of you who can fit in them comfortably...but 2 grand? anyways...back on topic...I love my nav and YES I would buy it again!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You should be able to pre-download road maps for the entire US. That would negate problems with loosing cell service.

The USB 2.0 specification only allows 500ma (0.5 amps) power output. Some modern devices will break with that specification and output ~900ma. Depending on your phone, it's OEM charger may output 1 or even 2 amps. If your phone is loosing charge when plugged into the car, try getting a 2 amp 12v adapter and use an OEM approved USB cable. Those are very tiny contacts. If they aren't perfect or aren't designed for the throughput, that will also prevent the phone from drawing the amperage needed to charge it during periods of high CPU usage.

As for the temperature... nothing to really offer there. Might try moving your mount toward or away from the air vents; if at all possible. Particularly when pocketed or in an enclosed space during periods of high CPU usage or/and charging, some models of phone have been known to get quite hot. Never owned such a model but I don't think the heat normally kills them though. The heat is particularly bad for the Li-Ion battery though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Got a solution - not even a headache.
I got the Garmin comfortably setup in front of the shifter.
There are other mounting options for that part, such as screws, but with a little rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces, double-sided tape has held over the life of a few devices (about eight years) and really had to work to get the old mounting plate out of the old vehicle. This might hold up similarly but if not, will simply use the same tape I had before.

Photos of the mount...
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1C-MP4bTL8rGY_r
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1G-MP4bTL8rGY_r

You can still reach behind it and access the buttons for traction control, heated seats, accent lighting, etc. The GPS is on it's OEM cradle and can be snapped off as normal.

The Garmin is also, surprisingly good at voice interpretation. It manages to pickup many street names that a phone won't because it has a very specific choice of names/vocabulary to interpret from. Apps on phones rely on the phone's built-in voice to text translation which by nature, has to be more generic. Therefore phones regularly mangle street names on voice to text translation.

If you have Shaq-knuckles or a forward-grasp of the shift knob, you may have to adjust your grip a little to keep from accidently touching the display.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
This thread is old now. You can upgrade a non-NAV FiST to NAV for not much money. All you need is the free FORScan software, a OBD port connector (I went with a Bluetooth one, PM me for details and a Ford map card with is about $75.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jayrod1980

This thread is old now. You can upgrade a non-NAV FiST to NAV for not much money. All you need is the free FORScan software, a OBD port connector (I went with a Bluetooth one, PM me for details and a Ford map card with is about $75.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have a 2016 with Nav. To date, I've not seen any updates to the maps portion of Sync3 and I'm still on v2.2. While I appreciate the update and Apple CarPlay, it pisses me off that Nav is such an expensive option, yet we have no avenue to receive updated maps. Mine says map version is from 2014. Literally half of the area I love in now was built after 2014, which is frustrating.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I have a 2016 with Nav. To date, I've not seen any updates to the maps portion of Sync3 and I'm still on v2.2. While I appreciate the update and Apple CarPlay, it pisses me off that Nav is such an expensive option, yet we have no avenue to receive updated maps. Mine says map version is from 2014. Literally half of the area I love in now was built after 2014, which is frustrating.

The Garmin I bought not only accepts voice commands but has regular map updates.
I have it mounted in front of the shifter.
There are other mounting options for that part, such as screws, but with a little rubbing alcohol (90%) to clean the surfaces, double-sided tape has held over the life of a few devices (about eight years) and really had to work to get the old mounting plate out of the old vehicle. This might hold up similarly but if not, will simply use the same tape I had before.

Photos of the mount...
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1C-MP4bTL8rGY_r
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi1G-MP4bTL8rGY_r

You can still reach behind it and access the buttons for traction control, heated seats, accent lighting, etc. The GPS is on it's OEM cradle and can be snapped off as normal.

The Garmin is also, surprisingly good at voice interpretation. It manages to pickup many street names that a phone won't because it has a very specific choice of names/vocabulary to interpret from. Apps on phones rely on the phone's built-in voice to text translation which by nature, has to be more generic. Therefore phones regularly mangle street names on voice to text translation.

If you have Shaq-knuckles or a forward-grasp of the shift knob, you may have to adjust your grip to keep from accidently touching the display.

zanethan

Can you not update sync3 maps with a new nav SD card?

jayrod1980

The SD card is for the MFT based system, not the QNX Sync 3 system. The new one should just be able to get updates over the air. Perhaps when the "official" update comes out, they will finally update the maps from 2014. Otherwise, what is the purpose of paying $750 or whatever just to have 3 year old maps? Half of Las Vegas was changed or built after 2014 it seems.

So, Ive had 3 ford's with sync 3, two of which had the $795 navigation option. My current fist does not have the option, and I do not miss it one bit.

But I am also weird. I prefer the older system.