Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A Ford Fiesta RS ??? - Rumors, Reports, and Discussion Thread

HMMM...

1) The ST already has the 1.6 EB, Ford is not going to offer more horsepower out of the same engine, because aftermarket has that covered. And because all us ST guys would be "What the fudge, FORD??!?".
2) An AWD drive system akin to the Focus RS is bigger and heavier than the FWD components which would require extensive working of the actual car.
3) A FiRS which would be a cramped, stiff-riding, manual-driven, sub-compact hatchback (none of these terms are popular in America), simply does not make business sense on the current platform*.
4) The market for this kind of car is also the market that may buy into the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, or Focus RS.
5) The article speaks of the 2016 model year Fiesta RS. We are already in the 2016 model year so.... there must be a glitch in the matrix, this article must have slipped through from the alternate 2015 (Back to the Future reference;) where they do have a Fiesta RS.

*The Ford Ecosport (BR) used to share platforms with the Fiesta (MK6), I believe. The Ecosport offers AWD and a manual. Ford may converge both platforms for the next-gen Ecosport and Fiesta (or whatever it will be called, powerhttp://www.autonews.com/article/20150817/OEM04/308179987/more-aluminum-and-more-power), because it would minimize costs, create another "global" vehicle, which can be offered in the US as a competitor to the CX-3, Renegade, Trax, 500X, HRV, Juke (some of these cars have performance-oriented versions coming as well) and whatever else manufacturers come up with. Ford's realizing that they will need the option to get a sub-compact crossover if the market continues to grow, which it will because these kind vehicles, allow a little more . They also need to fill those announced "new model" slots. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ford goes this route, I would encourage it because it may be the last chance at a FiRS, and our FiST values would go up because of a limited run, less of whatever new driver nannies may become mandated within the next 5 years, and because something like the current FiST will be a might be a neutered trim or it may disappear altogether (which makes sense, anyone who would have wanted/had/still has an ST will just buy the RS, actually creating a market for the car).

....but yeah until then I will call bs. I would contact whoever wrote the article and demand them to provide the source of this info, because us ST-owners should know this info first.

I think they'll merge the Ford Kuga platform with the Escape and make an Escape ST... hopefully they'll use the 2.7 ecoboost...

Someone on their staff seems to be a fanboy. I can imagine him/her calling up Ford.

MCStaffer Bob sits at his desk distressed, scribbling, constantly looking out the window at his ST. With recent news of the RS, he ponders if maybe the Fiesta will ever be something better, faster, AWD-er. He jumps up, scrambling through random papers and snack wrapper on his desk. He found it. A business card of his Ford insider contact. He calls him. The call tone starts up, stops, someone answered.

MCStaffer Bob- "Are you going to build an RS? You should build an RS"

Ford Contact- "What the hell, who is this?"

MCStaffer Bob- "I work for an online car news website, I'm Bob, remember I begged for your business card at the Detroit Auto Show last year?"

Ford Contact- "Hmm, yeahh. Bob. You work for AutoPerformance Ne-"

MCStaffer Bob cuts in- "...- no, no Motoring Crunch. Yeah, I was the Bob that followed you around, you almost had the restraining order put on me"

Ford Contact- "Oh that Bob, (chuckle), do I have to call the police again?"

MCStaffer Bob- "NO no, I just have a question. Is Ford going to release a RS version of the Fiesta?"

Ford Contact (annoyed)- "We are not, we are focusing our efforts on other projects, maybe you've seen Jamal's recent announcements."

MCStaffer Bob- "I haven't seen those announcements, I'll look into it. You guys should really consider a Fiesta RS."

Ford Contact (more annoyed)- "Is that all?"

MCStaffer Bob (depressingly content)- "Yeah, thanks"

Ford Contact- "Alright Bill, thanks for calling, but don't call again, we're busy working on the ST Modeno."

MCStaffer Bob- "Bob, I'm Bob, and what do you mean ST" - call drop tone cuts in - "damn"

Over the next week or so MCStaffer Bob calls back leaving messages, "What did you mean ST Modeno, I can write a piece about it, if you give me more info?", "You should really consider making an RS, make everything RS please. Also call me back, Pleasee?", "MAKE A FUDGING RS FIESTA NOW OR or uhmm ... I'll sell my ST, I'll crash it, no no ... I'll hand it to my friend who is trying to learn how to drive stick, yeah thats what I'll do." "Look I'm sorry for yelling, just call me back"

A ringtone sounds in the office. MCStaffer Bob picks up.

MCStaffer Bob- "Yeah hello"

Ford Contact- "Hey Bill, this is ______, the Ford contact"

MCStaffer Bob- "Look man Im really sorry I didnt mean to yell and I didnt hand the car over to my friend okay, I just couldn't do it"

Ford Contact- "Look your excessive whining and filling up my voicemail has made us realize that we will build a Fiesta RS (sarcastically) it will have a drift mode and go 0-60 in 5.5 seconds"

MCStaffer Bob- "OMG, no really. OMG awesome."

Ford Contact- "Yeah, Yeah sure. Just don't call us again about it... we will call you okay. If you call leave any voicemails or if I see you walking around Ford HQ again with a picket sign yelling, we will call the car off and arrest you for trespassing. Do you understand, we will call you, dont call anymore? Got it?"

MCStaffer Bob- "Oh sorry about that sir, yes sir it is such an honor to be part of the development of this car. Thank you so much, sir. Ill be waiting for your call. Just one more thing could I sign "Bob" on the first car rolling off the line?"

Ford Contact- "Sure whatever, kid. Thank you, don't call again, and have a great day, Bill" (hangs up)

MCStaffer Bob- "Its Bob"

And so MCStaffer Bob writes another article, stating that Ford will now build an RS Fiesta.

[rofl]

@ Thirty-Two.........your "fake" story is well thought out, detailed and entertaining.....are you Staffer Bob? Do you work for MC? Please stop releasing these contradictory and ambiguous stories about a fantasy Fiesta RS. We all already suspect and generally know that there is no way Ford plans to build / release a Fiesta RS, it’s a pipedream….leave it alone and buy yourself a bigger turbo for your FiST…...there……problem solved.

[cheers] [hihi]

@ Thirty-Two.........your "fake" story is well thought out, detailed and entertaining.....are you Staffer Bob? Do you work for MC? Please stop releasing these contradictory and ambiguous stories about a fantasy Fiesta RS. We all already suspect and generally know that there is no way Ford plans to build / release a Fiesta RS, it’s a pipedream….leave it alone and buy yourself a bigger turbo for your FiST…...there……problem solved.

[cheers] [hihi]
Dang, you caught me! I haven't called them again so maybe there is a chance? [;)]

I heard about the rumored FiRS from a friend of mine that did some kind of Ford road coarse invitational.

Rumors or not. I'd get the FiRS over a FoRS in a heartbeat. But I'm dying to get another turbo AWD with the next year to year and a half.

So hurry up Ford & make up your mind!!!

I somehow don't think an RS is in the cards. The Fiesta ST has very low volume sales compared to the Focus ST, an RS version would be limited to just a few thousand sales

Last edited:
Honestly speaking: More power, factory LSD and some styling queues would go a long ways toward an RS nameplate. Throw in some weight reduction in the form of pedestrian infotainment, lighter seats and the like...hmm...

Don't see it happening the FIST is already priced pretty high for what it is and to price it higher with more HP and AWD why not move over to cars like the WRX .

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would not want an AWD version, I prefer RWD or FWD cars as AWD to me means to much added weight, to much to go wrong, to easy to setup and drive meaning less challenging thus less rewarding in my experience.

A great RS to me would take the car as it is and make a few mods, it could be done with a moderate cost increase.

-Bigger turbo with 250-275 HP and a much wider power band
-Bigger brakes, IC and radiator, carefully done to add as little extra weight as possible.
-Move battery to rear of car to help offset added weight from above.
-Lower weight 16x8 wheels, 215 tires or slightly flared and a bit wider tires and wheels.
-LSD, ability to turn off TVC
-Much better dampers and a bit lower stock ride height, sway bar(s) and different spring rate if needed
-Chassis braces, only if needed
-More front and rear camber
-Better rear engine mount
-Better shifter feel and throws
-Projector LED headlights
-Tasteful and effective aero parts
-Misc little tweaks as needed

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Lower weight seats.....hard to do and have them meet all the fed rules and perform as well as the factory Recaro seats. Using exotic materials could add to much to the cost.

Back when I started my project which is always geared towards all around performance thus reducing weight I looked into fixed back seats.
A good set of seats that had great support, less than race level bolstering as those are a pain in the arse in a daily driven, errand running car...add in the weight of side and floor mounts and the weight savings was just not that great even building my own low weight floor mounts which I always do. I believe the savings was only around 12 lbs for fixed back and for reclining seats about net zero.

To properly use fixed back seats one should have a proper roll bar and harnesses, making the rear seat not usable for passengers nor even decent access for our dogs with a rear seat delete and adding another safety issue to sort out for the dogs.

I doubt there's much demand for an awd rs version as others have mentioned. I would have liked to see an optional competition package or something like the cobalt ss/ion redline had offered with an lsd.