Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not for sale turbo upgrade.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #241
I have that TD04H-15G turbo if you want to use it for some reason. We can put any compressor wheel in it. I'll write more in a bit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #242
Re: JDM WRX - Yeah, hence I'm not too optimistic about finding one in OE application, subaru fitment. Gee it can be a blessing to have so many possible options but also create alot of variables when you're trying to get it right the first time. Bit of trial and error, but that's always fun.

Good to know regarding the 9 blade reliability and turbine source and that the OE 12 blade is probably the goer for instaspool, based purely on blade count (i'm sure blade geometry affects this also).

Motor is a 1.8L vvt unit. Static compression is 10.5:1 and yeah no goodies like DI :(
So the 6cm^2 housing is a given. The 7cm^2 is unheard of in this application.
While there was a Greddy kit for the 1.6L, it was a TD04H-15g and wasn't known to be responsive. With an optimised exhaust though, 200whp at 10psi has been achieved.

Yeah 300hp miatas are beyond stock motors unfortunately with the OEM rods being the weakest link. By setting an upper limit on torque and BMEP, I'd like to think 250whp is a safe limit to play by.
The WRX TD04L-13T falls slightly short (220whp ish) of this power target on said motor but correctly setup will provide 200lb-ft by 3000rpm which is a general yardstick for a good spooling characteristics on this platform.

A pretty common and well received upgrade for the EJ20 Subies as you probably already know is the 19T upgrade on the TD04L hotside. Likely a small shift to the right in power delivery and possible surge but MAY hit the target 250whp.
Given the price point of the 19T housing and wheel, no big loss if it doesn't work out. On the note of 16T, with the appropriate comp housing, it'll should fit right onto the TD04L CHRA, as the exducer on the comp wheel is the same as the 13T.

Haha possibly the first time a miata was mentioned on this forum, but the fact that the MHI turbos are so versatile, they end up on almost everything none to man/woman.
Likewise, I wouldn't be making fun of a 350hp festiva....Or even the factory fiesta and focus for that matter. They make an excellent fast street car with all the modern tech.

I am inclined towards the WRX turbo due to the ease of making the setup work. There's a cast steel, equal length (if not, close to) log manifold designed around the WRX flange. The turbine outlet is also easily taken care of with a bellmouth flange to mate to a 3" down pipe.

Anyway, keen as mustard to see results after reverting back to 12 blade!
I totally understand if you have a WRX flange manifold ready to rock !!
I def don't think the 19T will surge. But I would still recommend you use a Volvo compressor cover over the smaller and plan WRX one. The Volvo cover will def snap right on and fit. And like I said before that takes care of your BOV and keeps the mass air flow sensor happy since it's not "vent to atmosphere".

For 250whp, I'd def say use a 18T or 19T.

So... basic WRX turbo. 18/19T compressor wheel machined into a Volvo compressor housing.

As for my setup in this thread... unless someone randomly buys it, it will sit on the shelf until I'm done testing and tuning my current cyborg hybrid factory style turbo. But I think I will run it again sooner or later, just not very soon.

And yes, the blade geometry of the 12-blade vs the 9-blade is a difference too. I always tell people "nothing is free on an engine. Everything is a "camshaft". No such thing as adding massive power up top without effecting bottom end and visa-vesa." The 12-blade is no difference. The topend will loose some. But after seeing how well the exhaust side breaths up top, I might give up 5-15whp up top, but gain 800rpm on the bottom that will be filled with 300+ ft lbs where it was 200ft lbs before.$

MM89

I totally understand if you have a WRX flange manifold ready to rock !!
I def don't think the 19T will surge. But I would still recommend you use a Volvo compressor cover over the smaller and plan WRX one. The Volvo cover will def snap right on and fit. And like I said before that takes care of your BOV and keeps the mass air flow sensor happy since it's not "vent to atmosphere".

For 250whp, I'd def say use a 18T or 19T.

So... basic WRX turbo. 18/19T compressor wheel machined into a Volvo compressor housing.

As for my setup in this thread... unless someone randomly buys it, it will sit on the shelf until I'm done testing and tuning my current cyborg hybrid factory style turbo. But I think I will run it again sooner or later, just not very soon.

And yes, the blade geometry of the 12-blade vs the 9-blade is a difference too. I always tell people "nothing is free on an engine. Everything is a "camshaft". No such thing as adding massive power up top without effecting bottom end and visa-vesa." The 12-blade is no difference. The topend will loose some. But after seeing how well the exhaust side breaths up top, I might give up 5-15whp up top, but gain 800rpm on the bottom that will be filled with 300+ ft lbs where it was 200ft lbs before.$
The response gain would certainly be welcomed. Sounds like you wouldn't be hung up on reaching a specific output target by making the drivability worse off and the car slower overall.

Similarly, I've been less hung up lately on reaching the 250hp desired. 220hp is in the realm of the td04l-13t+engine combo and the turbo can be had for cheaper than dirt.
I want to get my foot in the door first and it will offer the immediate response that I don't want to compromise and I can always leave the door open for bigger alternatives.

Afterall money would be better spent (and worth more in terms of lap time) on upgrading the driver's skills than 30hp.

All the best with the factory style turbo upgrade and any of your turbo endeavours.
Will check back here periodically for updates!

I just read all 25 pages of this thread. How I feel now is the same way I did when I learned Federal Tax Law in 2003. [?|]

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #245

I spent $1,000 and a good bit of time and made this, lol. That's basically the synapses lol

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #246
New M3/M4 BMW's even use TD04HL lol

Which specific turbo is this? Td04H w/ 9 blade turbine and 19T compressor wheel? What housings? That's some NICE power.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #248
It's a Volvo C70 TD04HL turbo with a 9-blade turbo upgrade. And a 23T compressor wheel machined in

Ford Community Posts