Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not for sale turbo upgrade.

iso100

1000 Post Club
What are your thoughts about putting a twin scroll turbo (mated to a tubular twin scroll manfold/header, of course) in terms of getting a larger turbo to spool as quickly and be as responsive as a much smaller variety?

Is the issue in the custom tooling/fab work ($$) required to one-off a twin-scroll header?

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
I actually thought about using an evo turbo which is twin scroll. Its a TD05HR and can make a lot of power. But dividing up the stock manifold would not be easy at all, and the $400-$450 manifold on ebay has GIANT runners that I think will lose too much heat and more importantly, velocity/speed. Building a one-off $1,000 manifold is also out of the question ( I'd just have russ build me one if that were the case ). So twin scrolls are pretty much out... Odd as it sounds, subbie actually made a twin scroll td04HL for an over seas wrx with a 7cm housing. The issue is, they are pretty rare, and just like the VF series turbos, we'd be competing with wrx owners for them on the used market. Only people that want a TD04HL-19T is volvo owners, and how many 10-15 year old volvo owners you see out there that need a 350ho turbo instead of a 280hp one? They are out there, but its a budget market. Almost anything subbie is minted in gold, other than stock 2.0L td04L turbos ( which upgraded would make an excellent choice as well ).

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
As long as he is talking about a stock wrx/baja/forester turbo ( the ad is not so clearly worded ).
I actually have one in great shape I'd sell for $125 shipped. If your going to be rebuilding it, adding a bigger compressor wheel and maybe clipping the turbine wheel (optional), then it makes no difference the mileage, your rebuilding it anyway.
$300 is way too much for a stock wrx turbo though...

Only disadvantage you have is a smaller turbine wheel, smaller turbine housing, and funky flanges. But the wrx turbo converted to a 19T would still be light years better than a stock turbo.

But that being said, I'm pretty quick to admit, I'm no expert on VF turbo's, but I do know the ones that are capable of good power, generally still cost a good amount of money because those are GENERALLY of the STi's 2.5L, correct?

PS: 300whp is pretty awesome on a non-big turbo on a 2.0L subbie. Props on that one. Lots of people take for granted the driveline loss from awd in the evo, 3000gt, STi. Some of the fastest evo's from a stop would get destoryed by my srt4 from a roll ( and vise-versa, but worse, lol ), and it really showed me to make 300whp in an AWD car, its really is much harder vs a 2wd car.

The VF turbo$ u$e ball-bearng center sections don't they? I'm completely un-sure of which VF it was, but in my research I actually found two different wrx guys that had gone from stock 13T's to VF-series to a TD04L-19T and they both agreed they felt about the same on the topend, but the 19T did way better with response/spool. I remember reading that because at the time I was thinking "the 19T has less lag than a ball bearing smaller frame turbo?".

If I knew more about the VF, maybe that's a better choice? I wonder if it has an many inter-changeable options...
Quick google and it reveled a good amount of debate about td04 vs VF34/VF35 turbo. The TD04L is supposed to come on faster, but falls a bit on the topend. But keep in mind, that is a turbo off a 2.5L engine, I'd be bolting onto a 1.6L..... Wait.... What does the volvo TD04HL-19T comes from???? A 2.5L 5 cylinder. Lol.

As far as not keeping up in the upper rpms, just because it dies a bit on a 2.0L at 7,000rpm ( or dies a lot on a 2.5L) doesn't mean we'd see/feel the samething on our 1.6L. I think we can spool a turbo for a 2.0L or 2.5L, but airflow demand I doubt we'll match.

I'll read up on the VF34/35 though. Good suggestion :)
To be honest I don't know much about them. My WRX came with it and compared to others in their stock TD04 it spooled quite well. Did fall off on the top end which is why I was going to go external wastegate. The VF39 came from the STi, that's why many WRX owners swapped for them when STi owners went bigger turbo. The VF34, I think, came on JDM motors so they're not as widely available. The VF34 is a ball bearing turbo. I agree that just because on the antiquated EJ20 the power fell off doesn't mean it will on our 1.6 DI motors.

Thanks on the car. I started with a good base and added a few items to keep it over 300whp (mustang dyno). Had stock internals with sti uppipe, catted bellmouth dp, sti pinks, vf34, 3" exhaust, full aps FMIC and intake, and manual controller. Was fun. Very unreliable.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Off topic, but what was un-reliable about your wrx ( just wondering ).

Got this for a customer's car today !! Wish it was for mine:.. It an awesome piece. Mine will prob be ebay sourced since I just don't see $260+parts+ labor/welder in my budget any time soon ( like soon enough to fix this itch I have to go external).

Off topic, but what was un-reliable about your wrx ( just wondering ).
Pushing nearly double the HP on stock internals in the EJ205 for tens of thousands of miles eventually took its toll. A good tune, which I had, will make the car last longer when modded but eventually it will wear down. It's also an open deck so big power usually leads to more problems. I fought many check engine lights, too.

Some things I fixed:

• Broken Cam Position Sensor
  • Struts (including adding spacers since the rear sags)
  • New headliner
  • Front/rear endlinks
  • IAC
  • PCV valve
  • Steering rack bushings
  • Spark plugs
  • Valve bucket shims (since stock wore down causing misfires)
  • Blown 5-speed trans
  • BPV crapped the bed
  • Install a manual controller as the stock electronic one would fluctuate boost

2 months after I sold it a rod went through the block.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32

Hummmmmm

Yep... That's big

Nowhere nearly as easy as it looks :)

No going back, lol

4.5 hours just in this so far... Have to turn the tube down a bit on the lath, cut the tube to make the funky shape of the manifold. Cut the other side of the tube flat and weld them in. Then trim the oem heat shield to fit around it.
This is for a customers Cyborg setup, not mine ( yet ). I under bidded the job by a lot price wise, lol, but this thing should be pretty awesome.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34

Fiesta turbine inside the HL turbine housing.

Turbine shaft, comp wheel, rebuild kit, and other misc parts ordered.

Just slow progress because building things for other people come first :)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
Mistu does not publish a comp map for the td04-20T compressor, but the 19T with flow 5cfm less than a TD05-16G. (And that is a cast oem 19T, not the billet GTX style 19T wheels used in the last couple years ). The 20T likely "eclipses" the TD05-16G ( dsm, pun intended ). The 23T ??? Well... It should do ok.

With all that in mind... Here is some ruff info I copied from various places on the net.

Stock fiesta ST 35mm/45mm
10T 35/49
13T 40/56
14T 39/51
15T 42/56
16T 43/56

Mazdaspeed3 K04 45/56 comp
19T 46/58

20T 47/58

GT2860RS 47/60 comp wheel

23T 50/61 (63 with extended tip)

TD05H-16G 48/68 comp wheel

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Calibers make 350whp all the time on a 20T wheel :)
Lol. But I knew I'd get an update out of you, lol.
I'm a little worries I may have gone too big with my 20 year old turbo ;)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
We're not done, though. When I get some time, after Thanksgiving, we gotta do some testing. The Boomba RMM might be too hard. We're going to try to capture hard data on false knock by running back to back logs of the Boomba and stock mount.