Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Not for sale turbo upgrade.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
I'm with you there. I get false knock all the time driving around on pump has chilling. I'll look over and see peak boost during the drive was 6psi and I have little false knocks. I still have a softer mount in my tool box :)

I think you can do much more power. I don't think I can catch you, but I'm gonna try :)

My exhaust side is gonna be a little more restrictive than yours, but we all know the game, everything is a give-and-take.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
Honk honk. This has been delayed do to further cyborg development...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Just to let people who what happened.... I actually sold my personal cyborg turbo to a forum member. Right after that, I put up the group buy and got slammed with work, and I didn't want the down time or to have to take a day pulling a turbo,'PLUS I was running low on cores to build. So I made the call to build that person a new cyborg for almost the same cost. And I've been really really busy every since. The external gate was put on because it will work with my TD04HL setup and/or my cyborg setup.

I have all the materials to do the TD04HL minus oil feed lines and flipping the water jacket inlet/outlets to the other side ( turns out, the water lines would be coming into the backside of turbo, and short of running the oil feed into the bottom and the drain out the top, I don't have a choice, I have to cap the water jacket inlet/outlet, then pull the freeze plugs from the opposite side and tap the holes it leaves ). I have the steel for the adaptor plate and its outer it cut, but not the center or bolt/stud holes. 3" inlet, 3" downpipe, flanges, etc etc is all just waiting on me.

The problem? I'm loving my cyborg still ( not a sales pitch guys ). The external gate has re-newed my interest and its looking good if I could fuel E40. Even my 93oct tune is coming a long really nice.

Even more so.... I have more tricks up my sleeve. All the stops are not pulled out of the hat yet with the cyborg, but I have to get my aux fuel system up and running on it first.

The thing about selling this as a kit... I wanted to. It just has a million "moving parts" and buy the time I piece it all together and fab parts and everything else, I'd have to sell it all for like $2500. People maybe able to use their personal time and build it much cheaper, but #1 that's the price point of an ATP kit. #2 I can't sell it cheaper because its a lot of time and work. Just makes poor business sense for me.

But I do plan on doing it still. But cyborg may need to be more developed first and... You guys maybe blown away by what is may do in the future, but..... Its like the first rule of fight club. (Google it wipper-snappers !! ).

azampatti

Sorry to bump this thread, and sorry for not being a fiesta owner :) But I'm researching a turbo upgrade for my Renault Clio IV RS (1.6T 200hp while stock). Right now I'm with a few mods (FMIC, 3"downpipe, custom ECU). With this, I bumped the pressure from 0.8 stock to 1.55bar.

I love the "kick" that makes with this configuration but it lacks a little bit of the top end power (I'm at 198whp now, not that much, with 317NM at the wheels)

I want more power in the upper range. Hopefully something in the 250/280whp range. BUT (there's always a but!) I want to keep the low end response AS MUCH as I can.

Your post here is AWESOME but I failed to interpret (or see) what would the lag be on this TD04HL-T19 config. What your suggestion would be in base on your experience?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Aldo

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Sorry to bump this thread, and sorry for not being a fiesta owner :) But I'm researching a turbo upgrade for my Renault Clio IV RS (1.6T 200hp while stock). Right now I'm with a few mods (FMIC, 3"downpipe, custom ECU). With this, I bumped the pressure from 0.8 stock to 1.55bar.

I love the "kick" that makes with this configuration but it lacks a little bit of the top end power (I'm at 198whp now, not that much, with 317NM at the wheels)

I want more power in the upper range. Hopefully something in the 250/280whp range. BUT (there's always a but!) I want to keep the low end response AS MUCH as I can.

Your post here is AWESOME but I failed to interpret (or see) what would the lag be on this TD04HL-T19 config. What your suggestion would be in base on your experience?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Aldo
Aldo, I never completed this project due to the time it was taking with adapting lines and getting the adaptor plate correct. I got so busy building turbo setups for forum members and locals that I put it off. I never intended to sell this setup because the cost involved.

But email me if your interested upgrading your stock turbo with a larger compressor wheel. Depending on where you are in the world, and the currency exchange rate, it could end up really cheap for you.
Sourskittlesrt4@gmail.com

azampatti

Aldo, I never completed this project due to the time it was taking with adapting lines and getting the adaptor plate correct. I got so busy building turbo setups for forum members and locals that I put it off. I never intended to sell this setup because the cost involved.

But email me if your interested upgrading your stock turbo with a larger compressor wheel. Depending on where you are in the world, and the currency exchange rate, it could end up really cheap for you.
Sourskittlesrt4@gmail.com

Thanks! check your gmail inbox :)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52

If you have a non-cyborg stock turbo upgrade, an ATP big turbo kit, or a stock turbo, your entire engine is exhaling through this 1.5" hole.....

By comparison.... This is from a 200whp stock volvo...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54

This just shows how the turbine housing is bolted on and how the manifold WOULD be bolted on.

That's it for now guys,
But this stock turbo crap is weak sauce, so.... This project will be moving forward :)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
Also.... The stock manifold hole is 1 3/8th, not even 1 1/2, lol

This is a 1 3/8 hole saw bit.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #57
Did a little comparing today... Figured I'd share some specs I found... Turns out my "little" turbo maybe a little more than I expected...

Comparing my Mitsu parts against some GTX28 parts...
I found my compressor wheel is a 50mmx62mm wheel ( 65mm tall ).
While the GTX2860 is 42.2mm x 60.4
And the GTX2867 is 49.7mm x 67.4mm
Kinda means I'm in the "GTX2864" area if garrett made one, lol.

On the turbine wheel side of things....
My turbine wheel is 45.6mm X 52mm 9-blade
The GTX2860, 2867 and 2871 all use a 47mm x 53.9 9-blade.
Pretty dang close.

And now the bigger deal... Turbine housings.
I have 6cm and 7cm options, while garretts don't even have the option to go this low on a GTX2860. I think the lowest you can get (smallest) is a .57. For comparison.... The 6cm is about a .42 and 7cm is about a .49 and I can't go any bigger, ever.

The GTX has a clear advantage of being ball-bearing, which I've been told by some pretty creditable people that on smaller turbo's, its an extremely small difference in response/spool up, that your looking at a GTX35 before the ball-bearing vs sleeve bearing argument really holds weight.

Either way... I just wanted to share what I had found when comparing. Being as this "little" TD04 is actually about the same size as a GTX2860, I'm hoping the smaller turbine and comp housings can get the turbo up and moving as little faster than the GTX2860 results we've seen so far, even if it means I choke the turbo a little up top.

Ordered all the oil feed and coolant line stuff yesterday, so... Stay tuned :)