Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1416171819202122232425 LastLast
81 Likes

Thread: Not for sale turbo upgrade.

Member 108 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Fredericksburg
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    While I do have more displacement on the Volvo to work with, they also have one of the poorest flowing heads. Even ported to the max with a really aggressive cam, I still only made 300whp with a hy35 at 30psi.

8v head ftl

Senior Member 866 Rep Points Sourskittle's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post
    While I do have more displacement on the Volvo to work with, they also have one of the poorest flowing heads. Even ported to the max with a really aggressive cam, I still only made 300whp with a hy35 at 30psi.

8v head ftl
    Ole snap !! Your talking super OG volvos lol. I mean the 850R type volvos with the 2.3L 4 banger or the 2.5L I-5 lol.
    They actually clip the turbines to slow the spool down so they don't bend rods. They make more power than they can handle kinda easy.
    325Whp on E50/meth injection ( NOT BHP )
    315Whp on E30 no Meth
    110mph trap speed

Cyborg Stock Upgraded Turbo setup
    http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/t...charger-system

Member 108 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Fredericksburg
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sourskittle View Post
    Ole snap !! Your talking super OG volvos lol. I mean the 850R type volvos with the 2.3L 4 banger or the 2.5L I-5 lol.
    They actually clip the turbines to slow the spool down so they don't bend rods. They make more power than they can handle kinda easy.
    Lol yep. The old RWD cars are my main focus. I built an s70 t5 several years ago, and ended up bending a rod...I know all about that lol.

Those 5 cylinders do sound damn good, however.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old 9-blade we removed.

12-blade Oem Volvo turbine wheel re-installed :)
    315Whp on E30 no Meth
    110mph trap speed

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out. The 9-blade is only 10grams lighter ( far less of a difference than claimed ).
    Zero chance this turbo doesn't spoil WAY faster than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    315Whp on E30 no Meth
    110mph trap speed

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315Whp on E30 no Meth
    110mph trap speed

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read over your entire thread in one hit and this was the icing on the cake.
    Have not come across any conclusive info about mass differences between the 12 blade and 9 blade; very keen to find out how much quicker it'll spool up.

At some stage you mentioned that the Subies didn't come with TD04HL hotsides:

It makes boost past the point of the td04 "L" 19T. The thing is... Subby's don't use the HL turbine wheel or the bigger 7cm turbine housing. I think ultimately, the TD04HL-19T (or 20T) with the bigger 7cm housing will actually make better power.
    Just out of interest, I think the JDM WRX of a particular year MAY have come with a TD04HL-15T 6cm^2 rear housing, based on this comment:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=16

"The JDM turbo on engine ID EJ205DW3BE is a TD04HL-15T-6
    Accoding to a translated subaru factory document for a model year 2001 WRX. The engine spec'ed out a 246HP@6000 and boost was 600mmHg (11.6 psi ???). That boost seems low but that is what is says...It's nice to have a Japanese wife who does translation for a living..."

I haven't gone far enough in that thread to confirm this, but you also mentioned you loathe the Subaru flanges anyway so who cares :P

This thread has interested me enough to join this forum as I'm considering a turbo for a (in before hairdresser jokes) miata/mx5.
    The TD04L-13T will hit 220whp but not 250whp+ on pump, which is where the TD04HL-15T might come in (or may not based on scarcity). One could reason that the bigger/heavier wheels of the latter would trade off spool up time and transient response marginally, but the port and polish housings game appears to be popular with the same subie crowd with claims to do one thing - quicker spool.

I wonder if the Kinugawa/Mamba/Kamak etc manufactured turbos are made close enough to the real deal. The last thing you'd want is to find out that the aftermarket turbo wheels are heavier than the OEM again. So, to use your findings as an example, a 9 blade slower spooling wheel is only marginally lighter than the OEM 12 blade wheel and the aftermarket 12 blade is even heavier than the OEM 12 blade.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, don't think you mentioned which brand 9 blade turbine wheel you purchased?

If based purely on weights and picture comparison, I'm guessing this one?

http://turbolabofamerica.com/tdo4-tu...#comment-26965

Down that page kind of reinforces my suspicion about aftermarket wheels being heavier than their OE counterparts.
    The pictured aftermarket TD04HL 11 blade is 152g. Your OEM TD04HL 12 blade is 146g. Marginal, but suggestive that the aftermarket 12 blade could be heavier again..

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Lakeland
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your right, there is def a JDM WRX TD04HL turbo. But it's incredibly rare. I've never seen one and I've been messing with WRX turbos since 2003?.
    Other wise, the TD04HL WRX turbo could be used the same as the Volvo. And I'd be willing to bet it's a 6cm2 turbine housing.
    The weight of the turbine on my TD04, I'm sure will have WAY WAY LESS of an effect on the power band vs the blade count. Now... if the rolls were reversed.... and you had a Volvo with 2.3L/2.5L, then spool isn't an issue ( while bending rods from too much torque is ), then the trade off of lag vs spool is no issue at all, and it will let them breath up top.

I've talked to some more Volvo shops that specialize in TD04HL's FOR VOLVO's. And their experience is.... 300whp car use the stock turbine clipped to death to add lag so their motors don't break. 350whp setup use the 11-blade they sell which adds flow up top, while not changing the spool over the clipped stocker and it's lighter so it's easier on the bearings. And for the most extreme "race car" type cars they will use the 9-blade because it's very high flow up top and spool doesn't matter. And on top of all that, they told me they have had a few reliability issues come up with the 9-blade. As far as which 9-blade? Well.... they all come from the same place. Weather you buy it from turbo lab / Austin or somewhere else. It's all the same turbine.

Not sure if you have a 1.6L or 2.0L. But if you have a 1.6L, I recommend sticking with a 6cm2 stock turbine (12-blade) volvo turbo with what ever matched compressor wheel you want for the power you expect. The mx5 doesn't need 300whp to be awesome.

If I were you, and didn't have access to a proper turbo machine shop, I'd buy a mamba TD04HL-19T Volvo turbo with a 6cm2 turbine housing ( or 7cm2 if your looking for that 300whp-320whp mark ).

But just like our hybrid turbos, when you have 1.6L, spool up matters BIG TIME. Not sure what the 1.6L's can handle in a Miata or if your building a motor for it. But too much lag or poor response isn't fun when you don't have displacement like the 2.0L+ motors.

Are you committed to the WRX turbine/turbo for any reason? The "L" wheel will help spool over the HL on those 13T type turbos, but once you get into the 16T type compressor wheels, you want the larger fins/tips of the HL turbine to help drive the larger compressor wheels.

If your buying a new turbo, the 19T is extremely balanced. You can use lower boost and make good power with timing. And at the same time, you can use higher boost if the motor/fuel will support it.

16T Volvo turbos are out there. But... I like larger compressor wheels.

Another thing, again, not sure about your fuel management on your car, but when we are talking about XXX turbo on YYYY car, the fiesta is a high compression, DFI engine with factory boost in mind with some pretty good control over timing and fuel. If
    Your doing something like a 8psi setup with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator or " AFC hack" type map fooling process, obviously, your given numbers per turbo will be lower. Like I've seen a fiesta pass the rating of a given compressor wheel. But the same turbo on..... well..... a 20-25 year old MPFI Miata isn't going to make 290whp on a 300whp compressor wheel. You might need a 350-370whp compressor wheel to make 300whp. And that's for sure not being disrespectful to the Miata. A 220whp Miata would AWESOME.

I think you'll find a lack of people making fun of a Miata on this forum lol. We have the same type car really. Just ours doesn't have the hair-dresser stigma attached to it lol. But it's still a dumb festiva with a turbo lol

For a bone stock Miata engine that you never plan to hurt or rebuild or add pistons rods, a TD04L-16T would be about perfect for 220whp and really fast spool without over powering the stock motor. But again... really depends on the setup.

Volvo turbos have a larger compressor housing, and built in BOV which saves time, money and packaging space.

Ole yea.... there is also a TD04L Volvo turbo that comes off the 1.9L volvo S40 cars. I think it's a 13G/13T compressor as well.

If you ever want to have use build you any of this stuff, lmk lol. But I wouldn't feel bad about a mamba turbo.

Also, porting the WRX turbine housing is pretty much required if you ask me.
    Volvo housings typically are prob fine on a 1.6L. I'd def port them if I had a 2.3L or 5 cylinder 2.5L like Volvo guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    315Whp on E30 no Meth
    110mph trap speed

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Re: JDM WRX - Yeah, hence I'm not too optimistic about finding one in OE application, subaru fitment. Gee it can be a blessing to have so many possible options but also create alot of variables when you're trying to get it right the first time. Bit of trial and error, but that's always fun.

Good to know regarding the 9 blade reliability and turbine source and that the OE 12 blade is probably the goer for instaspool, based purely on blade count (i'm sure blade geometry affects this also).

Motor is a 1.8L vvt unit. Static compression is 10.5:1 and yeah no goodies like DI :(
    So the 6cm^2 housing is a given. The 7cm^2 is unheard of in this application.
    While there was a Greddy kit for the 1.6L, it was a TD04H-15g and wasn't known to be responsive. With an optimised exhaust though, 200whp at 10psi has been achieved.

Yeah 300hp miatas are beyond stock motors unfortunately with the OEM rods being the weakest link. By setting an upper limit on torque and BMEP, I'd like to think 250whp is a safe limit to play by.
    The WRX TD04L-13T falls slightly short (220whp ish) of this power target on said motor but correctly setup will provide 200lb-ft by 3000rpm which is a general yardstick for a good spooling characteristics on this platform.

A pretty common and well received upgrade for the EJ20 Subies as you probably already know is the 19T upgrade on the TD04L hotside. Likely a small shift to the right in power delivery and possible surge but MAY hit the target 250whp.
    Given the price point of the 19T housing and wheel, no big loss if it doesn't work out. On the note of 16T, with the appropriate comp housing, it'll should fit right onto the TD04L CHRA, as the exducer on the comp wheel is the same as the 13T.

Haha possibly the first time a miata was mentioned on this forum, but the fact that the MHI turbos are so versatile, they end up on almost everything none to man/woman.
    Likewise, I wouldn't be making fun of a 350hp festiva....Or even the factory fiesta and focus for that matter. They make an excellent fast street car with all the modern tech.

I am inclined towards the WRX turbo due to the ease of making the setup work. There's a cast steel, equal length (if not, close to) log manifold designed around the WRX flange. The turbine outlet is also easily taken care of with a bellmouth flange to mate to a 3" down pipe.

Anyway, keen as mustard to see results after reverting back to 12 blade!

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1416171819202122232425 LastLast