Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Yet another drivetrain whine thread

So I've done a fair bit of research and it seems our cars have all sorts of weird transmission noises and issues. But I'm not sure I came across a thread that really matches what I'm experiencing.

Essentially I have a whining noise (almost like a straight cut gearbox) under acceleration/any load between 20-60mph. At speeds below/above it doesn't really exist and it's not wind noise/road noise drowning it out at 65 mph either.
It doesn't matter what gear I'm in or what RPM it is, the noise is entirely speed dependent. The whine is a higher pitch at higher speeds and doesn't change with steering so I don't think it's a wheel bearing issue.
It's not clicking either so I don't feel it's CV joint related(?)

This started happening after a track day where I rotated the tires from the front to the back (didn't criss cross as they are directional)

I have a feeling it's something after the transmission/engine since it's speed related and not RPM related. There is nothing weird about the way it drives at all, the gears still engage smoothly and the car feels mechanically as it did for the past 22000km (14000 miles) I've had it. This sound is really bothering me though and it's very noticeable, perhaps I can upload a video tonight demonstrating it

Any insight would be appreciated!

I would bring it to the dealer but my car is fairly modded so the less trips to the dealer the better IMO.

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #3
[video=youtube;j0X3W8_-Teo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X3W8_-Teo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Made a short little video, hope you guys can hear the whine under the sound of the exhaust.

Exact thing I have. Dealer said its not normal but suggested I go to a dealer with a FiST on their lot. Haven't been able to since I'm out of the country. It's the output shaft on the tranny, any money.

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #5
I brought it into the dealer and the tech who drove around in it did notice it a bit although he only drove it around the block and didn't even get it about 60km/h (40mph) when the sound is really prevalent. They needed to book me in for a 4hr+ appointment to take a closer look but I haven't had the time to rebook that due to working 2 jobs, school, and a new puppy.

If it is in fact a transmission output shaft issue, is there anything that I could've done on my end to cause this?

DvC

mine has the beginnings of a whine but not as bad as yours, then again i am at only 600 miles on the odo... yours sounds awful. the dealer said they couldnt hear anything or they just didnt want to?

Mine had similar symptoms that got worse and worse until the transmission was replaced under warranty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjkb36t8o7cqzh5/Fiesta ST Transmission ReplacementPage 1.pdf?dl=0
am i reading that right? they put nearly 200 miles on your car? i would be furious

I'm no mechanic, but watching the vid, I had no problem hearing the noise, and I agree sounds something drivetrain related. Hope you get it resolved.

C. love

I was gonna call you guys transmission abusers.....then mine started making noises lol. Mine is more of a gear meshing clink clink clink during take off though

I was gonna call you guys transmission abusers.....then mine started making noises lol. Mine is more of a gear meshing clink clink clink during take off though
Hey C. love,

Have you had a chance to get these noises diagnosed by your Ford Dealer? Send over a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number - I'll take a look and see how I can help.

Nick

My 2017 is making this exact noise. Has been doing it since about 4000 miles on the odometer. Local dealer won't pay for a rental vehicle, so I never have time to bring the vehicle in, as I can't be without a car.

Did anyone get this solved? Mine started doing this when I hold speed at 65 at around 38k on the odometer. Given the noise it is I'm thinking gear whine, and as it is only speed dependent I'm guessing it's a problem with the axle gearset. Haven't had the time to take it in yet.