Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best overall wheel cleaner?

Simple question guys. I love keeping my wheels clean. But they get dirty so fast. I own a pressure washer, but scared to take it to my powdercoated wheels. Anybody have good advice on the best way to clean wheels and keep them clean?
Below is an attached picture of my wheels. A lot of spokes, so it's hard to clean by hand. Very hard.

Best bet is Amazon.

A good brush does wonders too. Kinda like dumping soap on your body and not scrubbing.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Is sonax available at auto parts stores like pep boys and such? I also can't find brushes small enough anywhere. Might have to order online.
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I usually order my cleaning supplies from Autogeek.net.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Is sonax available at auto parts stores like pep boys and such? I also can't find brushes small enough anywhere. Might have to order online.
Check out the kitchen areas of stores(including dollar stores) they have small bottle cleaner brushes. They work great and are cheap to replace.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
OP
G
Thread Starter #9
You will have to judge that. I have seen stiff metal brushes, nylon brushes, cloth ones. Also look at baby bottle cleaner brushes. Now if you are truly into DIY you could make a wool/yarn pompom brush.
I get a lot of brake dust build up. Just want to get in the spokes and scrub it off. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks man.

Honestly, with wheels like that, I'd recommend a wheel coating. You can reference my thread here for pics of my wheels after an application of Pinnacle Wheel Coating:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4417-Finally-was-able-to-detail-the-FiST-Pic-Intensive

It takes but a single afternoon to do and the benefits are well worth it. The benefit of a coating isn't just about making the wheels shine like glass, but more importantly, the upkeep is far easier. After treating my wheels with a coating, they stay cleaner longer in between washes, and best of all, the brake dust comes right off with a simple swab with a wheel woolly and regular old car wash which is a huge perk because you save a ton of money in the long run because you're no longer buying Sonax wheel cleaner at $20 a bottle.

With wheels like yours, I personally would dread cleaning those with my bad knees and back. The higher up front cost of a wheel coating would easily be justified in your case, imho.

As for an actual wheel cleaner though, Sonax all the way. Fantastic product. Pricey, but makes the choices at Autozone/O'Reilley's/etc look like kids stuff.

OP
G
Thread Starter #11
Honestly, with wheels like that, I'd recommend a wheel coating. You can reference my thread here for pics of my wheels after an application of Pinnacle Wheel Coating:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4417-Finally-was-able-to-detail-the-FiST-Pic-Intensive

It takes but a single afternoon to do and the benefits are well worth it. The benefit of a coating isn't just about making the wheels shine like glass, but more importantly, the upkeep is far easier. After treating my wheels with a coating, they stay cleaner longer in between washes, and best of all, the brake dust comes right off with a simple swab with a wheel woolly and regular old car wash which is a huge perk because you save a ton of money in the long run because you're no longer buying Sonax wheel cleaner at $20 a bottle.

With wheels like yours, I personally would dread cleaning those with my bad knees and back. The higher up front cost of a wheel coating would easily be justified in your case, imho.

As for an actual wheel cleaner though, Sonax all the way. Fantastic product. Pricey, but makes the choices at Autozone/O'Reilley's/etc look like kids stuff.
I would love to do that. But I want to get my wheels repainted first and I will absolutely do wheel coating. Thanks for the referral. I was wondering if there was such a thing. But I bought Surf City Garage Code Red from Pep Boys and it worked so well I couldn't believe it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Car Pro Iron-X. The brake dust just melts off. No need to scrub. Spray it on, let it sit, wash it off. Perfectly clean, even if you have a month of buildup.

Downside is that it SMELLS HORRIBLE. It sticks around for days.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
http://DipYourCar.com
Brake dust pro
Is what another fist owner with aftermarket wheels recommended to me. I changed the turbo for him and he was really excited about how well it worked. I want to
Try it but haven't had a chance to order it.
I know the name brand stuff from parts stores kinda sucks.

rexdriver85

All of the best wheel cleaners have been posted by far, Sonax Full Effect, Iron-X and Chemical guys signature are my favorites. [emoji106][emoji106]

Also, I use these 2 brushes so I can do all of the wheel, the lug nuts, the calipers and the barrels.

Speed Master Wheel Brush

Lug nut brush

All can be found at www.autogeek.com

KKaWing

I've been using this stuff, it works for the most part. Stubborn stuff (the goo slag stuff) needs a bit of a scrub, but dust just wipes off after a soak.

[video=youtube;nKnwRqlEf0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKnwRqlEf0c[/video]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Simple question guys. I love keeping my wheels clean. But they get dirty so fast. I own a pressure washer, but scared to take it to my powdercoated wheels. Anybody have good advice on the best way to clean wheels and keep them clean?
Below is an attached picture of my wheels. A lot of spokes, so it's hard to clean by hand. Very hard.
Rain-X glass cleaner. I also use it as a detailer mist between washes (yes, on the clearcoat). It works great, keeps brake dust off the wheels longer (and much less dust build up on the paint). I also use it on my red calipers. They stay MUCH cleaner.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

Got this 2 weeka ago and its rained like 15 days straight with a 70% chance of rain for the next 7 days as well...