Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upshift Arrow

PENN

The arrow that pops up near the odometer is an upshift arrow right?

Any way to turn that off?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The arrow that pops up near the odometer is an upshift arrow right?

Any way to turn that off?
The only way I see to disable the upshift indicator is using COBB's ATR program and set rpm thresholds in the upshift table beyond say 6500rpm

Stock Upshift Indicators.jpg

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Black tape works very well also and is surprisingly cheaper.

Or you could just ignore it as I do.

Dave

wait, that was an upshift arrow this whole time? hahaha, i had no clue.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Black tape works very well also and is surprisingly cheaper.

Dave
That'll do it Macgruber ;) haha

I agree...For those that aren't self-tuning and don't have access to ATR that would definitely be cheap ...maybe too cheap...I'd just ignore it too!

MOFiST

The upsh*t arrow has annoyed me from day one. I live with it. Black tape could be a good band aid. Might try that actually.

A solution for us maf non Cobb tuned guys could be use 'Canbus Triple' to intercept and discard the upshift light signal packets. That's a lot of work but boy would it be a learning experience.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I ignore it but i have to say ido use it as i keep forgeting their are 6 gears. Lol too long using 5 gear manuals where you could hear the engine due to the lqck of any semblance of a muffler.

MOFiST

The only way I see to disable the upshift indicator is using COBB's ATR program and set rpm thresholds in the upshift table beyond say 6500rpm

View attachment 5597
Curious I see there is a table for a downshift arrow. That I've never seen. Normally it wants you to upshift so early you're lugging the car especially up hills. At least that's my impression. Also us Boomba RMM owners don't want to upshift any earlier than we have to. Lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Curious I see there is a table for a downshift arrow. That I've never seen. Normally it wants you to upshift so early you're lugging the car especially up hills. At least that's my impression. Also us Boomba RMM owners don't want to upshift any earlier than we have to. Lol
EDIT / Update: Downshift Indicator (Arrow) Feature in not available on FiST / Only the Upshift Indicator is active

I've never seen a downshift arrow either...not sure that's active for the FiST or maybe its that I've never gone below the thresholds in gears 4-5-6 shown to activate the indicator...You can feel well before those downshift points entered that you need to downshift before bogging the engine!

I could set them to say ~2000 rpm just to verify this downshift indicator feature is active?

Downshift Indicator Threshold

This table represents the minimum engine speed allowed while in gears 2-6 before the downshift indicator will display on the instrument cluster.

Downshift Indicator Table.jpg

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
It's great for getting supreme gas mileage.
I do agree.

I often drive for extended times in fifth gear.
The car just feels so right in fifth.
I then notice the arrow and realize I could be getting better mileage.

Dave

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I think the downshift indicator is just carried over from the master ECU configuration. I raised the rpm limit and put the car under plenty of load and never saw a down-arrow show up at any time. Maybe I'll see if it coincides with the FoST setup later.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I do agree.

I often drive for extended times in fifth gear.
The car just feels so right in fifth.
I then notice the arrow and realize I could be getting better mileage.

Dave
I find myself cruising in fifth a lot, as well.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I think the downshift indicator is just carried over from the master ECU configuration. I raised the rpm limit and put the car under plenty of load and never saw a down-arrow show up at any time. Maybe I'll see if it coincides with the FoST setup later.
Downshift arrow? Either there's something I don't know about or we're getting into semantics.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Downshift arrow? Either there's something I don't know about or we're getting into semantics.
Earlier in this thread boostbump saw a setting for downshift indication via the tunning software. We are seeing if it actually does have a downshift, unlikely but something to do.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Cobb's ATR program does have both an upshift and downshift indicator tables available... However, I've found that the Downshift Indicator feature isn't active nor made available for the FiST (it's not even mentioned in the service manual)...I'm guessing that this downshift indicator feature may be active or made available on other Ford models such as Fusion which share similar ECU programming...

As I mentioned earlier the upshift indicator table for the FiST can be populated (though COBB ATR) with any rpm value desired where for example you could modify the upshift table for performance rather than soley focused on shift points for best fuel economy ...Personally I find the upshift indicator distracting and as such (since I have ATR anyways) I chose to enter 8000rpm values which essentially disables the indicator from popping up all together as I don't need a little arrow to tell me where I need to shift for best fuel economy which is fairly easy to "feel"...I've found that shifting around 2200~2300rpm for city driving yields the best fuel economy on my current tune (29 city / 35 hwy)...YMMV..